Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

economics and finance?

Options
  • 27-03-2010 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

i know it isn't a requirement but is it necessary to do economics at lc to do economics and finance at ucd? i do accounting and am good at hon. maths (and applied maths) if that helps. also, is commerce and french anygood? any info? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

No, Leaving Cert. economics is not a necessity; most of what is taught to Leaving Cert. economics students is too simplified to be of any use. Micro 101 and Macro 101 assume no prior knowledge of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mustangj

thanks. I couldn't find an answer anywhere. Also, would this course be a good preparation for a career in investment banking,etc? do many graduates go into this field of work or would commerce and french work just as well (i.e. having a foreign language)?

If you like and have an aptitude for maths, then E&F is a better choice for you, in my opinion. It depends on what area of IBing you want; trading, risk management, corporate finance etc, then yes. The course should cover linear algebra, real analysis, multivariate calculus, probability & measure theory, stochastic processes, the Black-Scholes PDE, monte carlo and finite difference methods, and econometrics.

E&F would be a better choice for IBing than any flavour of Commerce -- there's too little on the maths side in this course. You can get a list of modules in commerce here and for E&F here.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

If you like and have an aptitude for maths, then E&F is a better choice for you, in my opinion. It depends on what area of IBing you want; trading, risk management, corporate finance etc, then yes. The course should cover linear algebra, real analysis, multivariate calculus, probability & measure theory, stochastic processes, the Black-Scholes PDE, monte carlo and finite difference methods, and econometrics.

Would many E&F graduates get into IB in places like London/NYC?

I ask as I heard its all about Oxford, NYU, UPenn, etc for these firms?

Or would this be good enough to get you into an MA in one of those big business schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mustangj

I have always dreamed of this career. As regards job outlook, will there be a strong demand for graduates in 4-5 years (i will do lc in June 2011, graduate 2014)?

• Advertisement

stainluss wrote: »

Or would this be good enough to get you into an MA in one of those big business schools?
    Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE, etc MFEs would be required for quant roles. You should email the course director and ask for a list of where graduates go. I know of several people in E&F who went to IBing in London after an internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

mustangj wrote: »
    I have always dreamed of this career. As regards job outlook, will there be a strong demand for graduates in 4-5 years (i will do lc in June 2011, graduate 2014)?

from what i have heard being good at hons maths is a brilliant advantage (not to mention ya need a b3)

I regret dropping down:(

If you're really interested in IB and think you could do well in the LC it would be a good idea to look at Oxford, Cambridge and LSE..

These are known as the breeding grounds for IB'ers;)

It would be a good time for you to find out about the course req's as youre in 5th year, you've got a great amount of time to work towards it:)

And im hoping the job market will be growing in 4/5 years, it wouldnt be near celtic tiger levels, though

mustangj wrote: »
    I have no idea what the finance industry will look like in 2014. If you want this type of career, then E&F is relatively better than commerce. However, don't expect a job to be handed to you, those days are gone. Get a good leaving cert (above 500), very good grades (don't take the piss in first year), and some society roles and extra curriculars.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

stainluss wrote: »

There's a lot of interesting stuff about recruiting in banking in this thread:
    www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/more-classics-from-resumescover-letters

Advertisement