Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My history research topic.

Options
  • 27-03-2010 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey okay so im in 5th yr and my teacher wants us to get going on the research topic this yr.
    for ages I couldnt think what to do and everything i came up with was either to broad or couldnt be done.
    Ive finally come up with an idea though..i know its probably fairly common though
    Roger casement,and the way hes not considered as much as say james conolly almsot like the forgetton figure,as hes rarely mentioned in the history books, then i was going to link it in with his impact in the rising. My teacher said to go with it she thought it would be interesting.
    ive a few sources.
    However im having some doubts..
    I was just wondering what do ppl think about this as a topic?is it good enough? or will I loose marks because ive just found out hes a popular one..? Also the contraversy behind his black diares and sexuality although I wasnt even going to mention that.
    a friend of mine is doing kennedy though.
    so will it affect my marks too much even if i make it interesting? :)
    pleasee help ive just figured out and I dont want to change it now as we have to get going at it over easter
    opinions and comments aprciated!
    thanks!
    x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

JustJess wrote: »
    Hey okay so im in 5th yr and my teacher wants us to get going on the research topic this yr.
    for ages I couldnt think what to do and everything i came up with was either to broad or couldnt be done.
    Ive finally come up with an idea though..i know its probably fairly common though
    Roger casement,and the way hes not considered as much as say james conolly almsot like the forgetton figure,as hes rarely mentioned in the history books, then i was going to link it in with his impact in the rising. My teacher said to go with it she thought it would be interesting.
    ive a few sources.
    However im having some doubts..
    I was just wondering what do ppl think about this as a topic?is it good enough? or will I loose marks because ive just found out hes a popular one..? Also the contraversy behind his black diares and sexuality although I wasnt even going to mention that.
    a friend of mine is doing kennedy though.
    so will it affect my marks too much even if i make it interesting? :)
    pleasee help ive just figured out and I dont want to change it now as we have to get going at it over easter
    opinions and comments aprciated!
    thanks!
    x
    You don't get marked on the idea, it's how you deal with the idea. Basically, if it looks the part you'll get 100 marks.

You could do his involvement with civil rights for those in the British colonies if you wanted a different angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There is huge potential with Casement: as a result of the controversies, there has probably been more written about him than about any of his peers, and there are a number of recent studies.

He may be glossed over to an extent in the LC books, partly because of the failure of the attempt to import arms, partly (I suspect) because of a hang-on from more uptight days and a reluctance to get into the subject with innocent and impressionable youngsters! (Yes, I'm being sarcastic! :p)

Just a few of the more recent publications:

Jordan Goodman, The devil and Mr. Casement : a crime against humanity. London, Greene & Heaton, 2009.

Séamas Ó Síocháin, Roger Casement : imperialist, rebel, revolutionary. Dublin, Lilliput Press, 2008.

Mary E. Daly, Roger Casement in Irish and world history. Dublin, RIA, 2005.

WJ McCormack, Roger Casement in death, or, haunting the free state. Dublin, UCD, 2002.

Jeffrey Dudgeon, Roger Casement, the Black Diaries: with a study of his background, sexuality and Irish political life. Belfast, Belfast Press, 2002.

Do be aware though that while you may choose to focus on another aspect of Casement from the unending arguments about his sexuality and to what extent the smear campaign that was certainly conducted was based on fiction or fact, most of the books will focus on this in some detail, and you will need to read around it to find what you want. And if you really are innocent and impressionable ... maybe not! :D

But there's certainly scope for a very good project on Casement from any of a number of angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JustJess

Thank you both so much:)
    i actually have some of the books you have mentioned so im gonna start readin them over the easter and see what way il go!
    :)

Advertisement