Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Deals closing....

Options
  • 27-03-2010 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

I know that this is the donegal forum and all that....but i think its a big thing that better deals is closing, a good few of the people working there are from this side of the border, and more importantly where am i going to get my shopping now! I was an awfull lot cheaper than anywhere else (for most thing) on average we would save €30 per shopping there and thats for 2 of us, we still buy our fresh meat in our local butchers but everywhere here is just so expensive.

Anyway my point is how many more people here shop in there too i know of 4 households in my family that do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

oh no better deals is brilliant. when are they closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

They probably shouldn't have moved from the center of the town, most people traveling from the south will only go as far as asda. It was a good while before I even knew where they moved to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Yeah, most of the staff were from the Porthall area and apparently the whole building has been sold. The pet shop has moved to the town centre.

Of course, this being Strabane, the rumours have been flying regarding Dunnes and Tesco taking over whatever is built in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

inode wrote: »
    oh no better deals is brilliant.
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

smashey wrote: »
    Yeah, most of the staff were from the Porthall area and apparently the whole building has been sold. The pet shop has moved to the town centre.

Of course, this being Strabane, the rumours have been flying regarding Dunnes and Tesco taking over whatever is built in its place.

Yeah ive heard some talk of that too but as senna said its not exactly in the most accessable spot in the town , although its not that hard to find either (there are signs from the first roundabout on the bypass[not the asda roundabout the next 1]) And they would also need to rebuild , that was my only gripe with better deal's it wasn't the most pleaseing looking on the eye, not dirty but it just looked outdated....

muffler wrote: »
    Why?

Cos its far cheaper than any other grocery place than ive ever been too. We save €15 per week on buying our dog food in better deals (not the pet shop) alone.

They were put on a 12 week protective notice 2 weeks ago now, some one had a thread going in here about the lack of freindliness of shops in and around letterkenny, every shop should take a leaf out of the staff in there, there have never been nothing but plesent staff working in there (apart from 1 0r 2 people) willing to help, always smiling and very chatty

It'll be a real shame when they close.:(

P.S. No i dont have anything to do with the store just sad to see it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

smashey wrote: »

Was over there a few days a go and according to the staff member I spoke to, they had only taken a short lease on the building to see how it would go, that is up in June, and the owners won't renew it.

Personally I don't believe it is closing. But time will tell

Why?

What Homer Said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

inode wrote: »
    What Homer Said :D
    Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were saying "no better deals is brilliant" - as in thats great good news that they are going :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Hopefully it wont (or it might move elsewhere), we shop there once a month it's well worth the journey up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

There was an article about this in the Strabane Chronicle yesterday. Apparently the rent was being increased by £38,000 a year. :eek:

• Advertisement

i'd say pound land that opened up didnt help

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

Won't miss the place. There were some good bargains in BD alright but in my experience Asda has equally as good bargains with obviously a better selection of stuff as a bonus.

Also Better Deals itself and the "shopping centre" that it was in was horrible and bleak and not too pleasant a shopping experience. I liked the pet shop though, and it's unfortunate that jobs have been lost in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Ammonite wrote: »
    Won't miss the place. There were some good bargains in BD alright but in my experience Asda has equally as good bargains with obviously a better selection of stuff as a bonus.

Also Better Deals itself and the "shopping centre" that it was in was horrible and bleak and not too pleasant a shopping experience. I liked the pet shop though, and it's unfortunate that jobs have been lost in the town.

Also the other good thing about Better Deals was they took Euros!!

Advertisement