Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter problem in Co.Limerick

Options
  • 27-03-2010 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Is it me or does anyone else think that the main and secondary roads in Co. Limerick are a disgrace with rubbish and remnants of black sacks in hedging etc.

I travel the Limerick to Kerry and the Limerick to Cork road alot and am shocked at what I see strewn all over the roadside hedging. On a recent walk in Curraghchase Forest Park on the Limk to Kerry road, I was disgusted to see that some pathetic low lifes have resorted to dumping their household refuse on the route into this beautiful and historic area. Nappies and disposable barbeques can also be seen.

I know we are in a recession and refuse costs are still high but there is a facility on the Dock road in Limerick for the disposal of rubbish etc and it only costs a few euros....

Another common occurence I have noticed, well smelled really, was the burning of refuse in private homes. I visited someone recently just outside Limerick on the N69, a country area where some houses have been rented to the HSE and the smell of burning plastic and paper would knock you.....who is supposed to be monitoring the littering of our roads and the pollution that comes from burning plastics etc....asleep on the job no doubt.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Incy Wincy wrote: »
    Is it me or does anyone else think that the main and secondary roads in Co. Limerick are a disgrace with rubbish and remnants of black sacks in hedging etc.

I travel the Limerick to Kerry and the Limerick to Cork road alot and am shocked at what I see strewn all over the roadside hedging. On a recent walk in Curraghchase Forest Park on the Limk to Kerry road, I was disgusted to see that some pathetic low lifes have resorted to dumping their household refuse on the route into this beautiful and historic area. Nappies and disposable barbeques can also be seen.

I know we are in a recession and refuse costs are still high but there is a facility on the Dock road in Limerick for the disposal of rubbish etc and it only costs a few euros....

Another common occurence I have noticed, well smelled really, was the burning of refuse in private homes. I visited someone recently just outside Limerick on the N69, a country area where some houses have been rented to the HSE and the smell of burning plastic and paper would knock you.....who is supposed to be monitoring the littering of our roads and the pollution that comes from burning plastics etc....asleep on the job no doubt.:mad:

Hi,
    A lot of people have commented to me lately on the state of the roads in east county limerick. Every road, (i travel a lot around the area with work), is strewn with all kinds of domestic, industrial, and agricultural waste. It seems to me that people just dont give a sh*t anymore.
    People walk along the streets of villages in limerick county and drop litter on the street without even noticing they're doing it. Then they drive along the roads and fling things out the windows of cars in the very same way. We live in a pit of filth to be quite honest. As for who should do something about it? Parents educating children and getting them into the habit of not littering would be a start. I don't litter. My parents taught me it was wrong from a young age. People sometimes give out about the stack of cigarette boxes in my car, I think its better than flinging them out the window!! and I'll eventually empty the heap into the bin, when I get a chance. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lpryanm

This has been very noticable recently, I agree. Alot of it is coming from the windows of cars, plastic bottles etc everywhere. It's a far cry from the Ireland the we are trying to sell to tourists.

By the way South Tipperary isn't much better, Tipp town itself is very bad in places.

People need to be properly fined (not easy catch them though) and kids need to be educated...so many people don't give a sh1t.

All I do is clean up near where I live but that is a drop in the ocean really:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Incy Wincy

Just back from a refreshing walk in Curraghchase Forest Park on the N69 near Askeaton.....however to my shock and horror I seemed at one stage to be following a trail of Cadbury's Roses wrappers all the way along a footpath that led into the forest....I proceeded to the area near the grand house and again was shocked to see that someone had been busy pinning up pictures of St.Joseph onto trees using thumb tacks......what kind of demented looper could do such a thing to trees that are probably hundreds of years old....I was lost for words to be honest....I pulled them off naturally and put them in the bin as soon as I got home....

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

Yeah , living not too far from local shop and the amount of rubbish , ie popcorn bags, plastic bottles etc , is unreal . Mostly local teenagers coming from said shop just dumping as they finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lpryanm

During April An Taisce provide clean up kits and collect bagged waste collected during a community clean up.

www.nationalspringclean.org

It's a good idea but shouldn't be limited to April though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Our local school did the clear up this year. I went along as a volunteer,it was horrible. From jars of uncle bens,cigarette packets, bags full to the brim of used nappies to a fridge door! Euch,it was horrible and to drive down the road you wouldn't think half of it was in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Co Limerick seems to be a particularly bad for this kind of behaviour, and tbh I have a fairly good idea why. Recently some scumbag/s have taken to setting fire to the stuff they have dumped. Some pyromaniac piece of lowlife scum is going around the Newcastle West area dumping furniture then setting it on fire.

Advertisement