Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All sorts of squeaks and rattles from my car...

• 27-03-2010 3:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Lately I've been noticing all sorts of squeaks and rattles from my car.
    One is when I just pull off, sometimes I hear really really weird rattley/squeaky sound coming from somewhere near the front wheels.
    Then the engine sometimes sounds like a bad diesel one.
    And this one is weird cuz I just got new front break discs and pads and there's this squeaking sound every time I press the brake pedal.

Got the car fully serviced a couple of weeks ago, really can't figure out why its making all that racket!

Also very weirdly I've been feeling the car is also driving a bit smoother since I've gotten it. Or maybe its just cuz I've been driving it smoother as I'm getting more used to it...

But I just wanna make sure everything is fine on the car and wanna slowly fix or replace every broken and worn out part in it in order of priority...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Squealing brakes is due to spurious brake pads being used. Spurious brake pads normally don't come with anti squeal coating on the back of them. Copper grease can be used as a short term measure but the squealing will always come back eventually.

The rattle could be anything but my guess would again be those new brake pads that you got rattling inside the brake calliper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you recently drive it down the beach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Did you recently drive it down the beach?

Nope. Never drove it on the beach...

I'll probably take it down to the garage today and ask the guy what's wrong with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Squealing brakes is due to spurious brake pads being used. Spurious brake pads normally don't come with anti squeal coating on the back of them. Copper grease can be used as a short term measure but the squealing will always come back eventually.

The rattle could be anything but my guess would again be those new brake pads that you got rattling inside the brake calliper.

You are possibly right about spurious pads being fitted & they have been known to be that bit loose too however genuine pads can squeal too & often do. My car started to squeal with very little miles from new & looking at the pads, they have that any squeal surface on the back. Must try a bit of copper grease when I get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You will start to notice more noises from any car as you get used to it, particularly if you're new to driving. As you become comfortable driving the car, more brain power is left over to pick up on these things.;) Do bring it back to the garage though, see what they say.

• Advertisement

An outlet of a well known nationwide company once put pads on a car for me as the mechanic I use was on hols. Rattled like feck, there was little clips that they omitted to put on the pads :rolleyes: My regular mechanic sorted it for me, quite easily too. F**ktards may have installed your new discs and pads. As mentioned above all pads can benefit from copper grease on the back surface to prevent squeeking.

Advertisement