Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Ireland-best way to ship stuff

Options
  • 27-03-2010 4:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭

I am moving back to Ireland in the next few months, I have 2/3 pieces of furniture I'd like to take with me (antiques). I also have 6 bicycles that I want to take back as well.
    Does anyone have any recommendations as the best way to ship them? I obviously will have a lot of clothes as well.

The other thing is, I am a carpenter and have a lot of 110v tools here as well as my flatscreen tv etc. Is it worth taking back these items? will I be able to use them back home with adapters or something? or am I as well off selling them here?

I will be moving to Cork/Kerry and currently live in upstate NY, thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

First off I would get rid of the tv and power tools, you'll need to get a transformer for all the stuff to work in Ireland unless it has dual power capacity (probably doesn't but you can check the info on the plugs to see).
    Regarding the rest of the stuff, contact international shipping companies in the New York area (I'm sure there must be a few), you could have your stuff put in a container going that way, when I moved to Canada I had a bit of stuff to move over and went through a company in Dublin (I'm from Cork), they came down packed my stuff put it in an availible container going my way and I got it a month or two later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Thank you for that info, it makes it a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

colin29 wrote: »
    First off I would get rid of the tv and power tools,

TV get rid of it but not the tools, 100V is the same across the world works great with a transformer
    If you will be looking for construction work in Ireland or the UK you must use 100V no 240V is allowed

You can find more into on the HSA.ie website

Advertisement