Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Ocean Road advice

Options
  • 27-03-2010 5:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We're renting out a car for the easter weekend and heading down the GOR, and hoping to take in the Philip Island penguins on the way back.

I'm looking for advice as to what to see along the way. Is it as simple as just driving down and stopping where you want, or can anyone advise me as to what sites are a must see?

Also, anyone know any good hostels along the way?:D

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hey,

Just did this trip a few weeks ago. 3 days, 2 nights.

We left from Melbourne and drove all the way to Port Campbell, stopping along the way at places like Lorne, Torquay and Apollo Bay for a quick look. That drive took about 8 hours in total but we did stop a lot. Port Campbell is right by the 12 Apostles so we stopped for a look there too in the evening. Very impressive.

We stayed in Port Campbell backpackers (I think that's the name). Decent enough place. We stayed there for 2 nights. In my opinion, Port Campbell's not the most exciting town but all the interesting stuff is up that direction so it suited us. You could prob spend the first night in Apollo Bay for more excitement at night.

On the second day, we drove further west up to Port Fairy and Waranabul (sp?). Again, very nice places. TBH it totally reminded me of beachside villages on the west coast of Ireland. It's that kind of rural vibe. 2 places I'd really recommend on that route are Tower Hill and Bay of Islands. There was also a savage beach in Waranabul. Big open long beach with loads of surfers out.

Tower Hill is a nature reserve and long story short, saw Kuala Bears, Kangaroos and Emus all roaming around freely. Good times.
    Bay of Islands is probably more impressive than the 12 Apostles. Amazing views up there.

On the 3rd morning we got up for sunrise at the 12 Apostles. We were the ONLY people there. It was quite special. Oh, we didn't know but you can catch the penguins heading out to sea at sunrise too. After that we visited the Lord Ard Gorge area. Savage. So many amazing views. From there we headed back on the Princes highway. Took about 3 hours back to Melbourne.

Whatever you do, you'll have a blast. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Nice one! Cant wait for it now.

Just one more thing, did u just turn up at the hostel or did u have to book in advance? I'm thinkin coz its easter weekend we'll prob have to book in advance, what ya reckon?

I'd book in advance. Why risk the hassle of trying to find somewhere last minute if everywhere is busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Stop at the tourist infos along the way, they'll point out some cool spots to visit, You'll defo find your way, its a great little trip, if I hadnt already done it twice id prob be heading down it this weekend. Camping along the way is good craic, but depends if thats your thing... and also the wheather!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RedNiamhy

I was speaking with a colleague of mine earlier who is going to do the GOR this weekend too and is having problems finding accommodation so I'd definately advise you to book ahead! The tourist offices are usually helpful in finding something if you call them.
    You'll have a great time!
    If you go as far as Port Fairy there is a really quaint Tea Room that does the most heavenly scones. Clonmara it is called. Nyom!
    Also, if you head down to Cape Otway you will probably see Koalas in the trees along the road. You will notice all the cars pulled in and people taking photos.
    So jealous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Have lunch in the Pub at Wye river the veranda overlooks the sea its really nice, weather permiting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

As you will be going overnight you should go and see the glow worms in one of the national parks along the way. Ask at any of the tourist information places along the way and they will tell you which park (I can’t remember the name but do it as they are amazing). There is also a road that turns off the great ocean road just after a bridge over a small river where you are virtually guaranteed to see kolas bears. (Again I cant remember the name but when I went we saw a mother and baby and we also hand feed wild parrots by just holding our hands out with some seeds and they flew down from the trees and onto our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It's a great trip. Even just stopping off wherever the mood takes you, you will have a good time. That Loch Ard Gorge is beautiful, interesting story about the shipwreck there. You will read about it there. The Grampians are beautiful if you are going that way. Amazing views and walks.

RedNiamhy wrote: »
    If you go as far as Port Fairy there is a really quaint Tea Room that does the most heavenly scones. Clonmara it is called. Nyom!
    !

I think we ate there. We were in search of scones when we were in Port Fairy and found a great cafe near the central square/roundabout. Tasty scones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

great thread! Myself and the missus are driving from adelaide to melbourne this weekend too. We're doing 3 days, 2 nights, staying in port fairy & torquay. Though I have to say, we made our bookings over a month ago and found it hard getting accomodation. Almost all places have a minimum 2 or 3 night requirement over the easter weekend! 341 ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement