Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How To Create A Conspiracy Theory

• 27-03-2010 8:28am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭

WIRED magazine recently published a template ("conspiracy generator") so that you can create your own conspiracy theory. They suggest that if you fulfill all the elements (fill in the blanks), your theory has a good chance to be accepted by others, especially if its launched on the web.

Simply fill in the [blanks]:

Are you kidding me? [ event ] was a total sham! Think about it! Everyone knows that [ appeal to precedent ]. And have you noticed that [ ruling elite ] has started to act very strangely? They obviously don’t want this story getting out. I mean, what would happen if people began asking [ disturbing question ]? Well, they may be able to fool the sheeple, but the members of [ dedicated group of truth-seekers ] aren’t swallowing their story. Look, don’t take it from me; [ expert endorsement ] is convinced as well. But we have to act fast, because [ suggestion of imminent threat ]. I just wanted you to be aware of this, in case I disappear.

See Apollo 11 Conspiracy Theory example:

Are you kidding me? The moon landing was a total sham! Think about it! Everyone knows that governments always try to divert attention from unpopular wars. And have you noticed that the CIA has started to act very strangely? They obviously don’t want this story getting out. I mean, what would happen if people began asking to see the high-quality video of the first moonwalk? Well, they may be able to fool the sheeple, but the members of The Flat Earth Society aren’t swallowing their story. Look, don’t take it from me; self-published author and former Rocketdyne librarian Bill Kaysing is convinced as well. But we have to act fast, because just look at what happened to Kennedy. I just wanted you to be aware of this, in case I disappear.

I am sharing this WIRED conspiracy generator, because we seem to be repeating all the same old CTs on this forum, and it would be fun to have some new ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

this thread is a typical deflection tactic commonly used by the elite, anyone remember the whole Swine Flu thing? come on like!

this is an obvious attempt to take attention off the excellent topics being discussed here at present, i am not the only one who thinks so

and as has been said before, "irony is lost on many a board" - howard j sphincter

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Thanks il try use your template when i wish to be labeled :)

Can you make one for the "other side" as we all like to keep everyone in a box.And i feel they have been unduly left out here or missrepresented :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Here's another example suggested by WIRED magazine using their conspiracy generator for 9/11:

Are you kidding me? 9/11 was a total sham! Think about it! Everyone knows that George W. Bush just wanted to finish what his father began. And have you noticed that the oil industry has started to act very strangely? They obviously don’t want this story getting out. I mean, what would happen if people began asking why the entire national air defense system shut down on the day of the attacks? Well, they may be able to fool the sheeple, but the members of 911Truth.org aren’t swallowing their story. Look, don’t take it from me; University of Western Ontario professor A. K. Dewdney is convinced as well. But we have to act fast, because as long as the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan rage on, proponents of the truth are in danger. I just wanted you to be aware of this, in case I disappear.

OK guys, fill in the blanks of the conspiracy generator and get some new, fresh and exciting conspiracies going. You can start by posting them here (if you dare).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

i guess that what this froum has come to - just a little bit of nonsense - if even the mods are posting crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

Are you kidding me? The Iraq war was a total sham! Think about it! Everyone knows that there are no weapons of mass destruction.And have you noticed that the UN has started to act very strangely? They obviosly dont want this story getting out.I mean what would happen if people began asking for proof of WMDs.Well they may be able to fool the sheeple, but the members of the anti war movement arent swallowing their story.Look, dont take it from me, Hans Blix is convinced aswell.But we have to act fast, because they are going to fight an illegal war and murder innocent civilians.I just wanted you to be aware of this, incase i disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Torakx wrote: »
    Thanks il try use your template when i wish to be labeled :)

Can you make one for the "other side" as we all like to keep everyone in a box.And i feel they have been unduly left out here or missrepresented :p

I think the skeptic version is "I don't care. You're wrong and that's that!" :D
    bytey wrote: »
    i guess that what this froum has come to - just a little bit of nonsense - if even the mods are posting crap.
    They're not a mod of this forum.
    Are you kidding me? The Iraq war was a total sham! Think about it! Everyone knows that there are no weapons of mass destruction.And have you noticed that the UN has started to act very strangely? They obviosly dont want this story getting out.I mean what would happen if people began asking for proof of WMDs.Well they may be able to fool the sheeple, but the members of the anti war movement arent swallowing their story.Look, dont take it from me, Hans Blix is convinced aswell.But we have to act fast, because they are going to start an illegal war and murder innocent civilians.I just wanted you to be aware of this, incase i disappear.

Damn it, you beat me to it. I was going to post almost exactly this earlier on but was called away from the computer. That's the thing about this. Although it fits perfectly with most conspiracy theories, it also fits perfectly with things that have been proven to happen, such as the Iraq war above. So all it's really good for is a slight giggle for skeptics and warrents little more than a rolleyes smilie from CT'ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

lol great minds think alike ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

humanji wrote: »
    I think the skeptic version is "I don't care. You're wrong and that's that!" :D

They're not a mod of this forum.

they are a mod of boards ie are they not ?
    therefore should have a code of conduct wouldnt you think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

bytey wrote: »
    they are a mod of boards ie are they not ?
    therefore should have a code of conduct wouldnt you think ?

They're only Mods in the forum they Mod.. otherwise they're just users. It would be a bit unfair on them to have to 'be a mod' in every forum. It's not like they get paid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

Are you kidding me? 9/11 was a total sham! Think about it!
    Everyone knows that al quaeda hate our freedom and what we stand for. And have you noticed that Saddam Hussein has started to act very strangely?
    They obviously don’t want this story getting out.
    I mean, what would happen if people began asking why did you let the terrorists get away with it? Well, they may be able to fool the sheeple,
    but the members of this great free nation aren’t swallowing their story. Look, don’t take it from me; Donald Rumsfeld is convinced as well.
    But we have to act fast, because in 45 minutes you may see a mushroom cloud, don't forget to get your DUCT tAPE.TM incase we get attacked by chemical or biological weapons.
    I just wanted you to be aware of this, in case I disappear off your tv for 2 minutes..............................................................................

Hands up who bought that crock of sh1t, how about you bluelagoon?, being a socal man do you swallow the crap your shown on freedom tv?, do you hoot watching the game?, do you spend more time studying/watching/discussing football than looking into past and recent events that shape your future much more than the meaningless distraction you enjoy.

For every true/real conspiracy a load of bullsh1t crazy conspiracies will be tossed into the picture to confuse the truth and many will believe everything, the secret societies control or try to control all sides of the argument and a lot of the time are successful at peddling all types of tripe and distraction to all sides and cloud the truth even further.

But all these fancy schisms and games don't delete reality, and many conspiracies remain conspiracies, the rest is the fodder for you to throw around to show your right and know it all, such as this thread, to be honest I dont think you've actually ever looked into anything that deep, if you had you would at least realize that the world is not like your programmed to believe it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Stop making it personal, uprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Are you kidding me? Earthquake in Haiti was a total sham! Think about it! Everyone knows that my imagination is running wild.. And have you noticed that the Reverse Vampires has started to act very strangely? They obviously don’t want this story getting out. I mean, what would happen if people began asking why parents are going to bed early? Well, they may be able to fool the sheeple, but the members of Bart & Milhouse aren't swallowing their story. Look, don’t take it from me; Nelson is convinced as well. But we have to act fast, because the reverse vampires are comin' to getcha! I just wanted you to be aware of this, in case I disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Simply fill in the [blanks]:

Are you kidding me? The Boards hacking was a total sham! Think about it! Everyone knows that hackers only bother with the likes of government or military sites. And have you noticed that the admins have started to act very strangely? They obviously don’t want this story getting out. I mean, what would happen if people began asking what devore was doing during the hours boards went and were down? Well, they may be able to fool the sheeple, but the members of boards aren’t swallowing their story. Look, don’t take it from me; a certain super admin is convinced as well. But we have to act fast, because so long as daft is next door people are always going to be on the move with this. I just wanted you to be aware of this, in case I disappear.

I made a hash of it but you get the idea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I am sharing this WIRED conspiracy generator, because we seem to be repeating all the same old CTs on this forum, and it would be fun to have some new ones.

Good call.

Love Wired, and yes most conspiracies do have a repetitive nature to them. The "Exhaust Fumes of Democracy", an excellent description.

Advertisement