Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs Aston Villa // 3:00pm // 27th March (EPL)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

it's grand MON they're just multi millionaire profesional footballers who are a little "tired"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Johner wrote: »
    Stop moaning ffs.

Maloudaaaaaa

I'm going for a run. Not sitting around watching this

EDIT: though I do enjoy teams getting absolutely annihilated! Pro evo style!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Villa have been awful today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

flahavaj wrote: »
    Dear Martin O' Neill,

You are finally getting found out after years of media fawning over your supposed managerial abilities. You and your team of bottlers simply aren't good enough.

?

I never could understand the irrational hatred of the man.

Great manager.

Dear Martin O' Neill,

You are finally getting found out after years of media fawning over your supposed managerial abilities. You and your team of bottlers simply aren't good enough.

LOL

first loss in what? 16/17 games?

found out all right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Is this the real Chelsea .... and the real Villa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

From BBC

1623: Chelsea have now scored 22 goals in the six league games Didier Drogba has not started. And there's still about half an hour to go in this one. Remarkable statistic.

Don't know why they bother playing him at all tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

noodler wrote: »
    ?

Great manager.
    People calling him a great manager when he has never really done anything to merit that is why people enjoy pointing out just how over-rated he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

?

Great manager.

i never could understand the irrational love of the man.

above average to solid manager at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Dear Martin O' Neill,

7 pts clear of villa and pool tonight!

COYS

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    People calling him a great manager when he has never really done anything to merit that is why people enjoy pointing out just how over-rated he is.
    i never could understand the irrational love of the man.

above average to solid manager at best.

Again.
    ?

Great manager.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Is this the real Chelsea .... and the real Villa?

Nope, just having a very bad day. The real Villa are a top 6 team that can beat anyone on their day (Man Utd away, Liverpool away, Chelsea at home)............but this is NOT their day. It's actually depressing to watch :(

Again.

again i never said i hated him, i hate how people think he is a great manager yet he has done little to prove it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

ntlbell wrote: »
    LOL

first loss in what? 16/17 games?

found out all right.

Look at how much he's spent. And judging by current form thats going to put them 7th at the end of the season, or 8th if Everton catch them which looks increasingly likely.

Still hasn't won a league game in march as Villa manager.:eek:

The myth of O' Neill (which I admit I had bought into up until this season) is slowly being exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

4th place, pfffftt.

Joke of a performance from Villa tbh.

Chelsea havent even been that good and look at the scoreline:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Ahh come on, You can't be judging Martin O'Neill on 1 match against Chelsea.

This season they have already made an appearance at wembley, and another one to come in the FA cup semi final. The club are still in the race for 4th, albeit the outsiders now.

Give it a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Comparing the wages bill for Villa with the top sides and pound for position he's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Still hasn't won a league game in march as Villa manager.:eek:

We bet Wigan 2 weeks ago

Good managment especially in a league dominated by a very small amount of managers year after year doesn't always mean winning leagues etc.

Constantly getting teams who are fairly average to punch above their weight on a fairly constant basis, tactically asstuite good man mangment skills etc.

For example a manager could do something of note like win a champions league, then week in week out make dreadful descisions, be tactically ignorant and be terrible in the transfer market with terrible man mangment skills.

you can apreciate the difference I assume?

MON seems like a good manager as he usually does more than what's expected of and expected of the teams he manages.

• Advertisement

Again.
    Villa have been one of the top spending sides in Europe the last number of years with him having about the most supportive owner in the league. Yet this is looking like their second extraordinary collapse in the last two seasons, he is a good manager, but not a great one by any stretch of the imagination.

Real sign off a game being well over - all 6 subs on by the 76th minute and none of them for injuries.

Delfonseo hasn't done too badly since he came on.
    Pretty much the only positive Villa can take from today.
    Absolutely sheeting down now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Raekwon wrote: »
    Nope, just having a very bad day. The real Villa are a top 6 team that can beat anyone on their day (Man Utd away, Liverpool away, Chelsea at home)............but this is NOT their day. It's actually depressing to watch :(

I suppose I mean Chelsea playing like this when the pressure is on at the top as against Villa playing like that when the pressure is on for 4th.
    Villa always seem to fall away near the end of a season i.e.the real Villa.
    It is a pity to see the Villa today they are better than that - as their lge position would indicate.

matrim wrote: »
    We bet Wigan 2 weeks ago

Just the one then.

He's spent an absolute fortune yet his team is still well short of whats required for top 4.

This isn't a reaction to today's result, today's rsult is the final straw in a realisation that has been slowly dawning over the last few months.

The minute the time cam efor them to step up and start getting results and push on for fourth they've fallen apart.

They may be on a long unbeaten run bu there's several drawn games in there they should be winning.

ntlbell wrote: »
    Good managment especially in a league dominated by a very small amount of managers year after year doesn't always mean winning leagues etc.

Constantly getting teams who are fairly average to punch above their weight on a fairly constant basis, tactically asstuite good man mangment skills etc.

For example a manager could do something of note like win a champions league, then week in week out make dreadful descisions, be tactically ignorant and be terrible in the transfer market with terrible man mangment skills.

you can apreciate the difference I assume?

MON seems like a good manager as he usually does more than what's expected of and expected of the teams he manages.
    I see wat you did there. Very good. Yet O'Neill will finish behind this incompetent manager you're refering to AGAIN this season despite having spent far more in the last 3-4 years and receiving total backing from the best owner in the league. .mon pr master

I see wat you did there. Very good. Yet O'Neill will finish behind ughs other manager you're refering to AGAIN this season despite having spent far more in the last 3-4 years and receiving total backing

They're much more likely to finish 8th than 4th at this stage if they keep playing like this tbh.:eek:

edit: Thats 6. F*ck off Villa, seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Chelsea rampant

Can the MON bashing please stop? I think he has done a great job at Villa, he can't be judged on one brutal performance (and a few terrible draws at home). If Villa beat Chelsea in the semi (okay they hammered us today but we did beat them at Villa Park earlier in the season) then it will prove MON's credentials.

I see wat you did there. Very good. Yet O'Neill will finish behind ughs other manager you're refering to AGAIN this season despite having spent far more in the last 3-4 years and receiving total backing

I hope MON isn't counting chickens.

We both know that's not very clever.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's pure jealousy that MON gets praise and other managers don't.
    And as for money spent, MON started in a position where the squad was worth next to nothing so net spend is high.

Also, United fans angry at Villa,don't know what to make of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

KALOUUUUUUUUU

• Advertisement

6-1 Kalou. Asisst for Anelka.

Absolute kicking. Ouch ouch ouch.

Can the MON bashing please stop? I think he has done a great job at Villa, he can't be judged on one brutal performance (and a few terrible draws at home). If Villa beat Chelsea in the semi (okay they hammered us today but we did beat them at Villa Park earlier in the season) then it will prove MON's credentials.

eh who exactly is bashing him? since when is saying a person is good but not great at what they do bashing?:confused:

JPA wrote: »
    It's pure jealousy that MON gets praise and other managers don't.
    And as for money spent, MON started in a position where the squad was worth next to nothing so net spend is high.

LOL. Why would a United fan be jealous of MON? He's hardly stolen Fergie's thunder the past decade has he?:cool:

How much did he pay for James Collins?

The anount of times I have heard commentators say he has been "outstanding" for Villa this season (always before games) is scary, I think hes awful. Would struggle to get into a mid table side.

Chelski goal diff +10 in last 2 games , could be worth a vital extra point in may

He's spent an absolute fortune yet his team is still well short of whats required for top 4.

Same could be said for Harry Redknapp or David Moyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LOL. Why would a United fan be jealous of MON? He's hardly stolen Fergie's thunder the past decade has he?:cool:

No but he gets more praise than many, which some feel is undeserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

It really is a cheap dig at martin o neill to base him on todays game tbh.

People say they collapsed last season, yea, they did at the end of the season but their season started in july from playing qualifying rounds in the europa micky mouse cup. There are some very good players there and martin o neill has the nack of getting the absolute best from less than world class players. Give the bashing a break folks. They have played a carling cup final, are in semis of fa cup and had 4/5 games in quick sucession leading up to today.

daithijjj wrote: »
    It really is a cheap dig at martin o neill to base him on todays game tbh.

People say they collapsed last season, yea, they did at the end of the season but their season started in july from playing qualifying rounds in the europa micky mouse cup. There are some very good players there and martin o neill has the nack of getting the absolute best from less than world class players. Give the bashing a break folks. They have played a carling cup final, are in semis of fa cup and had 4/5 games in quick sucession leading up to today.

With the money he's spent he should have assembled a squad that's capable of challenging on several fronts.

LOL 7. Embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Seven.

Villa are f*cking pathetic. Masters of the embarrassing collapse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Astounding result, well done Chelsea.

True enough for Redknapp although this is only his second season .at spurs and he is giving the top 4 a good crack. Moyes, while over-rated hasn't had anywhere near the backing o'neill has.

Sizzler wrote: »
    How much did he pay for James Collins?

The anount of times I have heard commentators say he has been "outstanding" for Villa this season (always before games) is scary, I think hes awful. Would struggle to get into a mid table side.

7-1 Lampard with his 4th:eek:

Collins was £5m

Archimedes wrote: »
    Seven.

Villa are f*cking pathetic. Masters of the embarrassing collapse.

Not fit to wear the shirt springs to mind tbh.

With the money he's spent he should have assembled a squad that's capable of challenging on several fronts.

LOL 7. Embarrassment.

MON out?

We want 8 !...its embarrasing , wonder will villa turn up for the fa cup semi final?

He is a very good manager if you like.

I'd like to see the spending figures you speak of Alan, especially compared to what the other teams in the EPL have spent in the same period.

Are you arguing from a net spend? Obviosuly we spent the guts of 40m in the summer just gone.

Considering where Villa was when he took over, considering the iron grip the top 4 have had on the CL places for years etc I think he has done a very good job.

Is it just a simple issue with the word great? i.e. that it should only be used for CL blub managers (who are the only ones best suited to challenge for honours?)

I would echo many of Ntlbell's points, I think we have to bare in mind the relative positions of a CL club and of a team like Liverpool.

I mean Rafa took over Liverpool in fourth and (and will probably bring them in below this this season) but by and large we know he has made progress at Liverpool in a points total aspect in the face of a more competitive PL. I just think MON has also made progress in this respect.

He isn't the only very good manager outside the tradition top 4 league, I particularly like Moyes and Redknapp as well.

Collins was £5m
    Does MON still have the receipt?

He is championship standard at best. Hammers must have been breaking their hoop laughing when he bid for him :o

Big Cas said last night on today FM Chelsea were in miserable form lol

Everton's squad cost £60m while Spurs cost around £180m while Villa's cost around £120m. Vastly different playing fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great result, and royally fucks Villa's goal difference as well.

Thanks Chelsea.

Advertisement