Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two nights in hospital-what to do

Options
  • 27-03-2010 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

My near three year old will likely have to spend two nights in hospital in the upcoming weeks. I'd like to start gathering a few things for him to pass the time and cheer him up. I would appreciate any suggestions of books,dvds, puzzles, or games to keep him occupied while confined to a hospital bed/room So please tell me what you have found your three year year olds love most. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Jigsaws - Crayons - paper - an old argos cathaloge and kiddy sissors - teach him some simple card games - like snap or beggin my neighbour. Maybe some books on cd and a personal cd player - try somewhere like the early learning centre for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

Hi metrovelvet,

What hospital will you lo be in? Last week my dd (14 months) spent a week in temple street. We brought in books and a few of her quieter toys! However the hospital was well equiped with a toy press on the ward, a play room which she could visit a couple of times a day.

A few of the others in the ward were 2 and 3, the staff were great. Brought arts and crafts to them, including painting, making easter bunnies, etc. There was also a tv in the room. The older children seemed to be happy playing with each other.

The only thing I found difficult was trying to stop her crawling on the floor.
    I would think most children hospitals would be similarily equipped?

Hope your son is ok.
    Eims

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

hi metrovelvet

sorry to hear your son has to stay in hospital, hope he will be ok.

My son (4) has had a few stays in hospital, the latest last week. I always find that as long as I have a portable dvd player & his favourite dvds, his fave books, a new magazine and his comforter - in his case his toy dog, she goes everywhere, we can cope with anything. the playrooms in most hospitals are very good these days and many of them have playworkers as well to entertain them. Crumlin are very good for that and took my fella off for a couple of hours so I managed to get a shower and something to eat!

don't forget yourself as well, you will be pretty much tied to them the whole time, so plenty of snacks in the bag as well.
    Take care and hope all goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

laptop + dora or whatever it is that 3 year old boys like. :) If that's not an option for whatever reason you can have a lend of our PSP and I can fill it with endless hours of whatever kiddies program you want. We've used it on long car journeys with our little one and it's a winner (I prefer the PSP to the portable DVD players because there's no discs involved, though the screen is smaller than you'd get with the portable dvd players).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

He loves Dora and Thomas and all the usual suspects but it would be great if there were some I have missed - the novelty factor would be a huge plus distraction wise.

See he has already had one procedure so even the sight of the hospital sends him into a meltdown so I am particularly concerned about the time spent before the procedure while in the hospital so as to minimise anxiety and meltdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mmmm, I don't agree with most of the suggestions. Laptops, PSPs etc, are prone to being swiped. Your son is three years old, I'm sure he will have company most of the time. Give him a soft toy that comforts him, and a couple of matchbox cars (showing my age). He's going to be sad but he'll also make friends.

He loves Dora and Thomas and all the usual suspects but it would be great if there were some I have missed - the novelty factor would be a huge plus distraction wise.

See he has already had one procedure so even the sight of the hospital sends him into a meltdown so I am particularly concerned about the time spent before the procedure while in the hospital so as to minimise anxiety and meltdowns.

Is there a reason you (or someone else he loves) cannot be with him prior to his procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

My near three year old will likely have to spend two nights in hospital in the upcoming weeks. I'd like to start gathering a few things for him to pass the time and cheer him up. I would appreciate any suggestions of books,dvds, puzzles, or games to keep him occupied while confined to a hospital bed/room So please tell me what you have found your three year year olds love most. Thanks.
    A favourite teddy that is a bit of a 'scardy cat' and needs to be looked after? When my own little one is going to bed she has a teddy (a cat called 'scardy cat').

Scardy cat is afraid of everything and needs looking after. When mum and dad are not there, my little one looks after scardy cat because scardy cat 'shakes a lot' and needs lots of attention. Scardy cat is afraid of everything really. Sometimes my little one re-reads her bed time story books that I have read to her as well to comfort scardy and make her feel better.

Hope that helps in some way. Is the little one in the hospital for tests?

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Is there a reason you (or someone else he loves) cannot be with him prior to his procedure?

I will be with him for the night and as well before the procedure. And afterwards.

I will be with him for the night and as well before the procedure. And afterwards.

Perfect, so lots of love and distractions.

• Advertisement

A favourite teddy that is a bit of a 'scardy cat' and needs to be looked after? When my own little one is going to bed she has a teddy (a cat called 'scardy cat').

Scardy cat is afraid of everything and needs looking after. When mum and dad are not there, my little one looks after scardy cat because scardy cat 'shakes a lot' and needs lots of attention. Scardy cat is afraid of everything really. Sometimes my little one re-reads her bed time story books that I have read to her as well to comfort scardy and make her feel better.

Hope that helps in some way. Is the little one in the hospital for tests?

Good idea. He loves lining up his teddies [a whle family] and taking out his doctors kits and doing check ups on them. We'll bring those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

He will be fine. Lots of love and care there. Lucky kid;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Laptops, PSPs etc, are prone to being swiped.

psp fits in your pocket and is worth less than some teddies. Wouldn't worry about it in the slightest to be honest and they're a super distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

If it's UCHG that he's in they have a brilliant playroom in the kids hospital which has every toy imaginable as well as art stuff. It's great for pre-procedure distraction unless he's confined to the ward/ room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

When my nephew was in Temple Street (for three weeks!) they let the other children in the ward visit him as he was unable to leave his bed, which cheered him up no end.

Hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 albetty31

bring portable dvd player but the kid will be too distracted by all the other kids and hospitals have toys anyway.if you bring something might be nice to leave it behind for other kids cos some of hospital toys get fairly battered and chewed. its only 2 nights, hospitals are busy places,itll fly

Advertisement