Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Topping up Oil

• 27-03-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My oil needs a top up.

Is it ok to mix oils?

Have no idea what kind of oil is in it already, was planning on just buying a small bottle and topping it up.

Also, is there any particular type of oil I need to get?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

once ya get the same viscosity it should be ok
    what car have ya got, maybe have a look in the owners manual to see what oil should be in it but if ya cant tell ideally ya should just change the oil, shouldnt cost more than 40 for oil and a filter and ya can do it urself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

guil wrote: »
    once ya get the same viscosity it should be ok
    what car have ya got, maybe have a look in the owners manual to see what oil should be in it but if ya cant tell ideally ya should just change the oil, shouldnt cost more than 40 for oil and a filter and ya can do it urself

Hey,

I'd say I'll just top it up for the time being.

It's a 05 BMW 320Cd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

jamieh wrote: »
    Hey,

I'd say I'll just top it up for the time being.

It's a 05 BMW 320Cd.

Those engines are known for chewing up turbos and spitting out the bits. Replacing the filter and changing the oil now may save you lots of money in the future. It's not worth saving a few euro by just topping up the oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like EDGE TURBO DIESEL 0W-30 is what you need according to castrol.co.uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

Theres no problem topping up oil at all. the poster above has given ya the grade, go and get a 1 litre bottle and top it up.

Better to have oil in it than none at all...

Make sure you dont overfill it though as having too much oil is actually worse than having too little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

jamieh wrote: »
    Have no idea what kind of oil is in it already,
    Have a root around in the engine compartment, you may find a service tag or sticker specifying what they put in the last time.

Advertisement