Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computational Finance, MSc

Options
  • 27-03-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi,

I just have a few questions about this masters if someone would be kind enough to help.

Firstly, is it difficult? And is it a good course, worth the difficulty and work involved? I know it has a bit of maths which I'm not that worried about.

Secondly, is it hard to get in to? And is there much demand for places? I have a 2:2 (which is the minimum requirement) degree from UL.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I share one module with this course (International Monetary Economics) and know a guy on the course also. Competition isn't too high from what I gather, at least not in comparison to the MSc in Financial Services.

What do you have your undergraduate degree in? If it's something like Maths or Economics then I'd say go for it. At a push, Accounting... and I really mean at a push.

If it's anything else I'd say don't bother. The work load is immense, and the content... well that's another story. This is just about the most difficult masters offered by KBS, speaking objectively. I'm not just talking about workload here (but that is very heavy), I'm talking about the concepts you will have to understand. Much of the course is spent on the trading floor.

Read a paper on IS-LM and the Bernanke-Blinder model (CC-LM)... if it interests you more than scares you, then apply. If not, I'd think of something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Thanks, my degree is in Insurance, we touched a small bit on some of the stuff mentioned in the course. I don't know whether to put this as my first choice or put down financial services as my first choice.

Am I right in saying Steve Kinsella does International Monetary Economics? I had him for an economics module at undergrad and found it quite interesting

Thanks, my degree is in Insurance, we touched a small bit on some of the stuff mentioned in the course. I don't know whether to put this as my first choice or put down financial services as my first choice.

Am I right in saying Steve Kinsella does International Monetary Economics? I had him for an economics module at undergrad and found it quite interesting

Correct and right. He's a really nice guy, as I'm sure you know. And incredibly smart to be fair, but in saying that, I don't think he appreciates the level our class as a whole is at. I think he expects to much from us.

What do you want from a career, if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah, he was the same when I had him, and I was only in second year at the time, some of the stuff he went through was pretty high level economics

I've decided to go for Financial Services as my first choice as the Computational Finance does seem a bit heavy.

Ideally, I'd be hoping to get into reinsurance

Yeah, he was the same when I had him, and I was only in second year at the time, some of the stuff he went through was pretty high level economics

I've decided to go for Financial Services as my first choice as the Computational Finance does seem a bit heavy.

Ideally, I'd be hoping to get into reinsurance

I reckon you're making the right choice. Computational Finance seems geared towards getting graduates onto a trading floor or working in the sector in any case. Good luck with your application. I hear the course director, Fergal O'Brien, is a really helpful guy!

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Im going to assume your in 4th year and that your doing the BBS Risk and Ins as I think I know what everyones looking to do next year on the BA Ins and Euro side....theres SFA of us

If you don't mind me asking, why are thinking of doing a masters to get into reinsurance. I am....well, I was considering a masters or post grad, but in terms of reinsurance I dont really see the benefits in anything offered by UL. Of course there is always the option of doing something completely different or doing something to broaden your options, but in terms of getting into the reinsurance side of things I cant really see the benefit.

I was planning on taking the direct route.

No, I'm not BBS. I graduated from Insurance and Euro last year.

I've had two interviews with reinsurance companies this year and there's so much competition out there for jobs at the moment that its hard to get in anywhere without somethin extra, seein as most people only have their Co-op experience to work off.

With the way things are, I'm just applyin for the Masters as a back up, if nothin comes up (jobs wise) by September I'll be more than happy to start into a Masters

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

Ive received a conditional offer for the MSc computational finance. If anyone here has done or knows someone on this course, Im interested in finding out what roles and companies they have started in upon graduation. Do investment banks recruit from it???

Im also considering the MSc finance in Trinity, MSc Finance and capital markets in DCU and MSc finance in DIT, MSc finance in smurfit and also NUI Maynooth. I know smurfit has a good quant finance masters but im doubtful of my chances of getting into it and feel it may be a bit too mathematical and less practical for me.

Up to this point trinity has been my first choice, I know the fees are higher but its within traveling distance from my home and I feel trinitys reputation carrys a lot of weight behind it.

Ive an undergrad BSc in Accounting & Finance from DIT but have avoided all the accounting modules and taken only the final year finance modules (derivatives, econometrics, monetary economics etc)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ive been interested in a career in financial trading for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I did the MSc in Financial Services in UL.

I'm a trader.

I rate the Comp Finance course very highly. Most of the people who did it the year I was there (it's first year) are in London or Dublin. Various roles risk/analysts/ fund traders.

I think, there's only one other trader from both courses in that year but, I'd put this down to a desire to be a trader more than anything.

I have a few friends who did the course in DCU. One is in Londonin equity trading, another is a trader based in Dublin.

Comp Finance is a serious course. I think it prepares you better for the real world. Two years in DCU quants is a waste of time and money. TCD is too expensive.

RE Stephen Kinsella: I know what you guys are saying but, I found him to be excellent. It's the fault of the students, not his that most are too lazy or disinterested in the subject being taught and that they expect to be spoon fed everything. It's a major cultural problem in the Irish educational system. It was refreshing listening to him in lectures. I used to sleep/daydream in other ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hi OnThePenguin,

I'm doing the Comp Finance course atm and to be honest it is extremely difficult with an immense workload (at stages over 50hrs a week) including weekends. Semester 1 is the most difficult. Most people in the course come from either an engineering, computer programming, Mathematics or Industry. We started with 18 and will finish with 14.

As for jobs, most dont have jobs(as they haven't really looked) but there are those with a job as trading assistant with SIG and financial engineers with First Derivatives. A lot of the class are getting frequent calls from recruiters so don't worry job wise. All of last years class have jobs too.

To be honest I wouldn't recommend the course with your background. My friend did your course, I even think in your class, and your background wouldn't suit.

Do you have and maths (statistics or probability?
    Do you have any programming experience?
    Do you follow the markets, keep track of specific stocks, the price of oil, bonds etc.?
    How about econometrics?

If the answer is no to all of these, you will probably won't be accepted. Try the Financial Services course though. A few of the people doing that are into risk, insurance, compliance etc. and are getting interviews for those type of jobs.

One thing I will say about Comp Finance is that a lot of the course is based around practical hands-on experience which employers love and will make anyone stand out in an interview. UL is the only place college with a trading for in Ireland and seemingly so for the forseeable future and attracting quite a lot of international business interest.

If anyone wants to contact, just PM me and I can send on the class reps details or post them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Glockers

Hi Guys,

I was given an unconditional offer during a phone interview with Dr.Murphy last Wednesday. I accepted there and then.

I come from a structural engineering background and sat CFA Level 1 in June. (Currently awaiting results)

Any inside track on the course would be greatly appreciated !
    I m looking for info on what the toughest subjects and how they are examined (any past papers would be welcome !).

I also have accomodation, through a friend, available to me and have a ensuite double bedroom available to rent if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ziggy*Dust

Anyone here doing this course next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Glockers

Hi,

Most of class of 2011/2012 are still about completing dissertations. Should be around the day you all come down for orientation and maybe for a few of the days of first week.

I m sure we d be happy to answer any questions you may have.

You ll enjoy the year for certain but it is a big work commitment, first semester especially ! Weeks 7-12 are jam packed with submission deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MC1000

Hi Everyone,

Im having difficulty deciding whether I should pursue a masters in Computational Finance or Financial Services in UL. I would love to get into lecturing evetually, can anyone provide me with any insight as to which course would be better to do with regards a phd etc?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!:D

Advertisement