Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding your yearling!

Options
  • 27-03-2010 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi...

how do i know, which mineral feed i can use for my yearling?

She's outside all the day (grazing land), sometimes shes at night insinde (box), but i know that the conditions right now are not perfect for her accretion...she needs mineralic food!

how do i know which one is the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

There are a few feeds out there which are specifically designed for youngstock. For example, Red Mills do an 18% cooked mix and cube feed for foals and yearlings, which they say contains copper, calcium, phosphorous and vitamins. I'm sure the other feed manufacturers do the same (I just happened to have the Red Mills feed brochure in front of me during lunch). Most manufacturers have people you can contact who will recommend feedstuffs and mineral/vitamin supplements for your yearling. Obviously each company's rep will recommend their own brands, but if you have a few questions ready for them and ask them why theirs is better than their competitors, you'll probably find which one would suit your yearling best.

You could also contact the National Stud and ask what feed and supplements they use. My aunt did this a few years ago and found them very helpful. You could also try your local stud and see what they feed. They may also have more insight into what type of minerals are in the land in your area and so recommend something which may contain minerals which the soil is lacking in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Mariilyn

Thanks!
    didnt thought bout it this way!

:rolleyes:

Advertisement