Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to load linux on HP proliant ml330 G3

• 27-03-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday a friend threw me on of these from a work. A nicely rich machine that can run as a nice home server for me.

However I'm having a big problem. I need to install a new os on it, mainly ubuntu since well I just want too.

But I'm unable to have the boot disc read.

I've finally gotten into the bios and had a root around, and it should be reading the disc. However its not, its skipping along loading everything until it reaches the windows 2003 server login page, where i cant get passed since i dont have login details.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I'm reading alot about "Raid" when it comes to this sort of thing.

It has only a 32gb hard drive in it, but has room for about 5 drives, so I'd planned on pumping it full of storage. Is raid worthwhile?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ok seems like I need a hp smart card or something, downloaded.

Guy that provided it to me is coming over to set me up windows server 2008 and vmware ubuntu or something

Anyway crisis averted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Good news. HP Smartstart is handy, download the firmware maintenance CD also.

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

funk-you wrote: »
    Good news. HP Smartstart is handy, download the firmware maintenance CD also.

-Funk

yeah me mate was telling me, sure im letting him do all the work ;)

Advertisement