Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitted a Picatinny rail to my CZ varmint

Options
  • 27-03-2010 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

A couple of photo's of the 20 MOA Picatinny rail that I fitted to my CZ Varmint 223. The rail was bought from Rimfiretechnologise in the US and just sides onto the varmints 16mm dovetails and is held in place by 8 grub screws.
    Not that it will ever move as I had to drift the rail on with a few taps with a hammer.
    It shoots as good as it did before but I wanted to make sure that the scope was dead centre and thought this would be the best way of getting that. Only cheap "no make" second-hand mounts fitted for now.

Scope is a Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite 4200 Tactical.
    When I re-zeroed I still have 16 MOA of down left on the scopes turrets (1 full turret turn = 12 MOA and 16 clicks = 4 MOA ). So I should be good to go out on the 600m-1000m range (someday) as I have 84 MOA of up to play with

27032010122.jpg

27032010118.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Hello Clivej,
    did you have to pad up the cheek piece on your stock,
    to deal with the rise in scope height ?

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Dvs wrote: »
    Hello Clivej,
    did you have to pad up the cheek piece on your stock,
    to deal with the rise in scope height ?

Dvs.

No but then I like my scopes high (ish)
    I will get lower mounts when I can but for now it's just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

Hi Clivej,

I was just wondering what you think of the Picatinny rail that you fitted on your CZ Varmint. Ive the same gun and I was thinking of buying the same one.

Would you advise getting it or have you came across any problems with it now youve been using it for a while?

Ghost. wrote: »
    Hi Clivej,

I was just wondering what you think of the Picatinny rail that you fitted on your CZ Varmint. Ive the same gun and I was thinking of buying the same one.

Would you advise getting it or have you came across any problems with it now youve been using it for a while?

No problems at all. The rail was a tight fit and I put nail varnish on the 8 grub screws to make sure they don't work loose.
    Best thing is I now know that the scope is central over the bore (well it should be) using the Picatinny rail.

Shot this 10 shot group yesterday in a good unpredictable cross wind @100m off the beach. American Eagle 55gr FBHP.

CZ223varmint10shootgroup04-04-2010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

Good stuff, looks like a good job. Ill be getting the same as yours so.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

clivej wrote: »
    No problems at all. The rail was a tight fit and I put nail varnish on the 8 grub screws to make sure they don't work loose.
    Best thing is I now know that the scope is central over the bore (well it should be) using the Picatinny rail.

Shot this 10 shot group yesterday in a good unpredictable cross wind @100m off the beach. American Eagle 55gr FBHP.

What choke had you in the shotgun :P

Using a target that was already up on the board.

If you put your specs on you can see the red circle of the 10 shot group.

you should have gone to
    header_logo_ie.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭.243

Using a target that was already up on the board.

If you put your specs on you can see the red circle of the 10 shot group.

you should have gone to
    header_logo_ie.gif
    ah yeah they weren't sighters by any chance were they ??:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Don't mind them clive, i've seen the rifle and what it can do. Its a masterpiece of technology and accuracy and everyone should own one. The fact that i just bought one in no way affects my opinion........:p

Seriously, any trouble getting them in from the states. You told me Saturday, but i've forgotten. Could you PM the details again. Have the website, etc. Its the ordering part that i'm forgetting.

cheers.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Thats actually some very good shooting. The wind conditions yesterday were worse than today. Today its been strong and consistant. Even doing a bit of benchrest .22 yesterday i was getting such inconsistant results i finally gave up. First you'd be getting one hole groups then, high, low, left right. The wind seemded to have a "tumbling" effect on the bullets.

I tried a few shots at the 100 yd with the .223. A bit better than the .22, but by no means a record breaker. I even heard some of the lads shooting 600 that it was quite an unreadable wind. Pure mess of a day.

Only thing was the coffee was flowing and so was the craic, so not a complete failure.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Using a target that was already up on the board

So that's who's been shooting out my targets!:mad::mad:

Jeez, you leave 'em up for a couple of days, and clivej comes along bold as brass....what do we have here....oooh, some free nice clean targets.....oh goody!

Can't leave anything lying around these days!

Glad to see someone's benefitting from my current rifle issues at least!

:D:D:D:rolleyes:

dCorbus wrote: »
    So that's who's been shooting out my targets!:mad::mad:

Jeez, you leave 'em up for a couple of days, and clivej comes along bold as brass....what do we have here....oooh, some free nice clean targets.....oh goody!

Can't leave anything lying around these days!

Glad to see someone's benefitting from my current rifle issues at least!

:D:D:D:rolleyes:

Thats your one hole one shot group at 11 o'clock. :D
    fine shooting that:D

Ooooh, don't get me started!:D

I'm blaming my rail! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! And I've witnesses!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

my thoughts aswell:D

And did you see the way clivej was attempting pushing the blame onto me and move the focus away from his own paltry efforts there?! The barefaced cheek!:rolleyes::D

dwighet wrote: »
    my thoughts aswell:D
    And did you see the way clivej was attempting pushing the blame onto me and move the focus away from his own paltry efforts there?! The barefaced cheek!:rolleyes::D

And so the creatures of the night raise they'r heads again to distroy US kind loving people, the protectors of all things good.
    :p:p

the creatures of the night

gee wizz, thanks clivej,that's the nicest thing anyones said about me in a good long while. Thanks, you've brighten my day no end - Now....

I'll just await the setting of the sun, and as the streets darken, climb outta the ould coffin and set off on my merry nocturnal prowls.....

Ah, the joys of it all:D

gee wizz, thanks clivej,that's the nicest thing anyones said about me in a good long while. Thanks, you've brighten my day no end - Now....

I'll just await the setting of the sun, and as the streets darken, climb outta the ould coffin and set off on my merry nocturnal prowls.....

lol:D

dracula.jpg

• Advertisement

This would be more like it really:

Fat_Drac_small.jpg

:D

american-werewolf-in-london-lifesize-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭roosman

hi Clive,
    this is the exact set up I have on my rig, the Bushnell elite tactical 6-24 on a 20MOA rail. Now, I have one question, this particular scope although being a 30mm tube has a disappointing total of 44MOA of elevation adjustment - I double checked. After I zeroed with the new rail I have 7 MOA left til it bottoms, this leaves me 37 MOA up elevation, Unfortunately on my 308 that will not get me to the 1000yd mark as I need bang on 40MOA with 150gr, I was sure that the 20 MOA rail would easily allow me to reach the 1 k but sadly no. Are you sure you now have 84 MOA remaining elevation ? or am I totally confused !:confused:
    cheers

roosman wrote: »
    hi Clive,
    this is the exact set up I have on my rig, the Bushnell elite tactical 6-24 on a 20MOA rail. Now, I have one question, this particular scope although being a 30mm tube has a disappointing total of 44MOA of elevation adjustment - I double checked. After I zeroed with the new rail I have 7 MOA left til it bottoms, this leaves me 37 MOA up elevation, Unfortunately on my 308 that will not get me to the 1000yd mark as I need bang on 40MOA with 150gr, I was sure that the 20 MOA rail would easily allow me to reach the 1 k but sadly no. Are you sure you now have 84 MOA remaining elevation ? or am I totally confused !:confused:
    cheers

No your correct I have 2 full turns and 5MOA of up = 29 MOA I must have ment clicks of up not MOA. I have 16 MOA of down to go.

I was wrong once but it was a mistake

roosman wrote: »
    ........... this particular scope although being a 30mm tube has a disappointing total of 44MOA of elevation adjustment - ........

Some scopes do not always stick to manufactures standards. Your scope should have 50 moa, but as you are getting 44 then you are 6 shy. Also the 20moa rails do not necessarily give you a full 20moa. To take from my own experience. I had 22 moa to zero my rifle at 100yds. When i got the 20 moa rail you would assume i only need 2 moa to rezero. I actually needed 7.5 moa on top of the rail.

Never underestimate the effectiveness and necessity of good/proper mounts. Too much height of the barrel will loose you moa. Ideally you want not much more than 2-4 mm clearance.
    ...... this leaves me 37 MOA up elevation, Unfortunately on my 308 that will not get me to the 1000yd mark as I need bang on 40MOA with 150gr......

What are doing with the rifle? Hunting or target or both? What barrel length have you and what bullet brand are you using?

If its hunting i wouldn't be overly concerned with 1000yd capability. 37 moa will get you within reach of 900-950 yds. Then you have holdover or mil-dot.

If its target work then change bullet. With 167gr Lapua Scenar, on a 26" barrel you need 14moa from 100yd to 600yd, 25moa from 100yd to 800 yd and no more than 37 moa from 100yd to 1000yds.

With HPS 155gr, you could lighten the moa required (as above) by up to 2 moa per distance. With 168gr HPS they would be slightly less than the Lapua, but also slightly more than the 155gr.

If all else fails there is also the option of going for a higher moa rail such a a 25moa rail. I wouldn't boher with 30 as you may not be able to zero at 100yds, but if thats not an issue and you use a 200yd zero then 30 moa may suit.

All the above values would also be slightly lessened if using a 30" barrel as opposed to a 26" barrel.

Advertisement