Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blue screen + no way of starting up

• 27-03-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭

I've tried to turn on my laptop this morning to find the dreaded blue screen. I can't get my laptop to come on in any mode (tried all the safe modes and last known config).

The blue screen error I get is

0x0000007B (0xF88A2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

When I try to open in safe mode I get the following:

it asks me if I want to skip loading SPTD.sys (which I understand relates to deamon tools/alcohol)

I really have no idea what I should do....really could do with some help.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'm assuming that you have tried "Last Known Good Config" from the Advanced Menu also, as well as trying Safe Mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I've tried to turn on my laptop this morning to find the dreaded blue screen. I can't get my laptop to come on in any mode (tried all the safe modes and last known config).

it asks me if I want to skip loading SPTD.sys (which I understand relates to deamon tools/alcohol)

Cheers

I had similar problem with a friends laptop recently, wouldn't even start on safe mode, I was ready to reinstall windows Vista so pop the disc in, it asked me to scan the drive that I did while scanning it found lots of errors and fix them, I rebooted and Windows started ok after that. Maybe worth trying with yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I'm assuming that you have tried "Last Known Good Config" from the Advanced Menu also, as well as trying Safe Mode?

Yeah mate as I said in my post I tried all the safe modes and last known config
    nava wrote: »
    I had similar problem with a friends laptop recently, wouldn't even start on safe mode, I was ready to reinstall windows Vista so pop the disc in, it asked me to scan the drive that I did while scanning it found lots of errors and fix them, I rebooted and Windows started ok after that. Maybe worth trying with yours.

Will hopefully be able to find the disk and will give it a whirl. Do I just chuck the disk in and then it will start up automatically when I turn on the laptop?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Will hopefully be able to find the disk and will give it a whirl. Do I just chuck the disk in and then it will start up automatically when I turn on the laptop?
    Cheers

You might have to press f12 or similar to get it to start from the CD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yeah mate as I said in my post I tried all the safe modes and last known config

sorry dont know how I missed that. if it was my PC, I would be looking at some way of booting to a different boot disc or OS to either replace/delete or rename the troublesome file.

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/sptd.sys.html

guys on this site say that the file is part of Daemon Tools V4.00, and the boot issue is sorted by deleting the file. Do you have this software installed?

Because it is not part of Windows, a repair install (reinstalling windows over itself without wiping) will not work.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Cheers
    Heating up is fan working?

0x0000007B is an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. Basically, the driver for your SATA/IDE controller has gone wonky. There's a rootkit going around at the moment which infects the atapi.sys file, maybe your anti-virus detected this and deleted the file, in which case you'll need to restore a clean copy to boot up again. Alternatively, check your BIOS settings to make sure the SATA operation mode (AHCI/ATA/RAID) hasn't changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Had the same issue with a friends machine last week.

I corrected it by doing the following:

-- Booting into the OS disk.
    -- Running the repair console. R on the option screen once the main drivers have loaded.
    -- At the command prompt run "chkdsk /p". If errors are found then "chkdsk /f"
    -- At the command prompt run "fixmbr"

Restart the machine, and with a bit of luck, you'll be back in action.

Advertisement