Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT PORTFOLIO SCORES

Options
  • 27-03-2010 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Has anyone recieved their portfolio assessment scores yet from dit? my friend got her letter in the post yesterday and didnt get the course she wanted, just wondering if anyone else recieved theirs!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

Yeah I got mine on friday, got 350/600 in photography. So annoying that they don't tell you why you lose marks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

I got 300/600 for photography. I'm really disappointed, I put so much work into it :(

And, I just recently saw some other guys portolio who scored 400. A collection of random images, badly edited with no themes etc. So now i'm all the more confused :confused:

dan759 wrote: »
    I got 300/600 for photography. I'm really disappointed, I put so much work into it :(

I feel for ya buddy. I'm quite disappointed too, so much work for a meh score :(

Im confused about something else now too, On another thread a guy has told me they don't take fetac points into consideration :confused:

What do i add on to my portfolio score then? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 _kayla_

yeah i dont understand what way they are marking them , only got 300 for viscom was a bit disapointed toodidnt even get my level 7 display design madness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 deepsteppa

Im confused about something else now too, On another thread a guy has told me they don't take fetac points into consideration :confused:

What do i add on to my portfolio score then? :eek:

your leaving cert results isnt it? assuming your not applying as a mature student....

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

I got my letter. Didn't get any of the courses I wanted. For the second year in a row. sigh. I'd love to know how I can find out where I went wrong.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 katie b

heye.. ow dus it work i passed and av the leaving cert points from las year but dus dat meen i get d cors ... r what im so confused.. can u gt in on only passing on the portfolio?? wat a ppl scoring 4 fine art ... ?? tnx

BlueNemo wrote: »
    I got my letter. Didn't get any of the courses I wanted. For the second year in a row. sigh. I'd love to know how I can find out where I went wrong.:(

Hm you could try get in touch with the people running the different courses and see if they'll go through your portfolio with you?

katie b wrote: »
    heye.. ow dus it work i passed and av the leaving cert points from las year but dus dat meen i get d cors ... r what im so confused.. can u gt in on only passing on the portfolio?? wat a ppl scoring 4 fine art ... ?? tnx

You won't know if you got the course until offers are out in August. You add your LC points and portfolio score together and then if that combined score is enough then you're in.

• Advertisement

did anyone apply for viscom or fine art? they must of been hard on the marking only know two people out of my portfolio course that got gud enuf marks to be eligible for a place! this is tough :(:(:(:( oh and yes you can get in based on your portfolio thats what i am doin just make sure you get enough distinctions for it though got 450 for fine art but thats the course i didn want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 IIsoleeII

And, I just recently saw some other guys portolio who scored 400. A collection of random images, badly edited with no themes etc. So now i'm all the more confused :confused:

I know how you feel, i went to England and everything to take pictures and only got 300/600,.. I felt the worst when i saw the score, i hope the points for it isnt too high this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

_kayla_ wrote: »
    did anyone apply for viscom or fine art? they must of been hard on the marking only know two people out of my portfolio course that got gud enuf marks to be eligible for a place! this is tough :(:(:(:( oh and yes you can get in based on your portfolio thats what i am doin just make sure you get enough distinctions for it though got 450 for fine art but thats the course i didn want

I got 540 out of 600, I can take pictures of stuff if you want to see it, not boasting of anything. I know how **** it feels not to get the points you want. Saying that I might not get in either I am mature student, I don't know how DIT allocate places (NCAD are 50% mature 50% LC/under 23yr old students).

edit:
    What is interesting is this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055791233&page=3 someone who works in IADT is giving some sort of feed back very little and vauge but its something !

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rosie30

The last two years have shown absolutely mad results coming from DIT. I think it is a huge reaction to the NCAD portfolio brief and while numbers are down for NCAD because of the brief, the result is that numbers are way up for DIT courses who don't require a specific brief for portfolios. I have no idea how they assess the portfolios because from what I have seen in the last 2 years beggers belief as to what gets 600 out of 600 and for what is unsuccessful. From what I have seen in the last few years, if you have been successful at portfolio assessment and get the appropriate academic requirements your place should be confirmed. I've seen people that get as low as 240 in portfolio but have been offered a place. Am still convinced that they do 'eeni meeni myni mo' tho! I know the blood, sweat and tears that go into portfolios and it is devastating when u have your heart set on a particular course. No sense to it sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

Hm you could try get in touch with the people running the different courses and see if they'll go through your portfolio with you?

I've emailed them and they sent out my marks sheet.. Which was no help as they gave me the same (low) mark in every single box. Looks like someone wanted to have a coffee break.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Add me to the list of people who have been given bizarre review scores. Months of praise from my lecturers, peers and media professionals, only to be failed without explanation. Doesn't add up at all. And I'd somewhat understand if I had applied for Fine Art but I applied for Vis Com, and design isn't as subjective as art.

Hopefully IADT aren't this inconsistent and downright baffling. Anyone know when their results are out?

The numbers this year applying are unreal heard 2000 applyed to iadt!does anyone know when we hear from iadt ? hopefully they will be a bit more easier on the marking!!!!!!!! is there anyone else who applyed for viscom or fine art in dit am dying to know what other people got ?looks like i wont b going dit hopefully il get it in iadt now :(:(

Rosie i know exactly what you mean. I'm getting more confused from seeing some portfolios online of people who scored high. I know this seems like we're kicking up a fuss just because we scored low or got unsuccessful.

But seriously, i saw a guys portfolio that scored 350 or 400, i cant remember, and it was awful. The editing was really bad, the rules were way off etc, and the photos were flat. Sure some guy on the photographys section of boards stated that he hadnt a clue how to make a portfolio and just threw one together to chance his arm and scored 500. And he didn't include and visual diaries etc (which they clearly stated at the info day were very very important!). It just makes me think that it may be a case of eeny meeny miny mo, or something else rediculous. Its so confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rosie30

All I can say is that you do end up where u are 'supposed' to be! Don't let one bad result get u down. If anything you need to be more confident about your work knowing that its a lottery. It is a tough industry but there are many other routes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I got 600 In both Vis Com + Fine Art but It's not giving me much confidence for IADT which is my first choice. It looks like they barely looked through my portfolio at all.. In comparison to IADT who gave me back a completely looked through and used portfolio (although I applied to a lot of courses).

Also, I put in one of my weaker folders for IADT the night before when I was panicking!! REALLY REGRETTING THAT!! It'll definitely pull my marks down a lot.

I'd just love to know if people that score well in DIT also tend to score well in IADT.. It's just hard to know what to expect from different colleges. Wish I didn't have to wait till May :(

• Advertisement

Saaron wrote: »
    I'd just love to know if people that score well in DIT also tend to score well in IADT.. It's just hard to know what to expect from different colleges. Wish I didn't have to wait till May :(

IADT send out the portfoilo results in May ?? I was expecting the results a bit sooner !

As far as I know it's May..
    I could be wrong.
    I hope I'm wrong and it's earlier.....

Just checked the email I got from IADT for admissions a while ago.

In it it says:

"Results of portfolio and interviews (where necessary) will be sent to students by the end of May."

Lame..

Just checked the email I got from IADT for admissions a while ago.

In it it says:

"Results of portfolio and interviews (where necessary) will be sent to students by the end of May."

Lame..

Very :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I got 600 In both Vis Com + Fine Art

What did you have in your portfolio that got you 600 for Vis Com AND Fine Art?

It's so weird that people get the same marks for both.

Ehm.. I also got 600 for design display. But didn't even know I had that down.

Basically I don't have a specific portfolio for Vis Com or Fine art. It's all just one.
    I was mainly emphasising quality and over all presentation.
    To be honest I didn't think It was all that great. I'm not sure how to explain my portfolio.

I mainly worked on A2 size notebooks. I like working big. I also tend to spend hours on one piece. I tried to use as many different mediums as possible and different techniques while keeping the drawings strong. I linked one page to the next throughout my portfolio. (it's all quite basic stuff here.. nothing that really stands out).. ehm I also did research into different artists and styles that I liked.. then incorporated that into my art while giving the reference on the same page.

I liked very technical drawing and that's evident. I also used small pop-up things to try explain perspective.
    I used a lot of my own edited photos as well as reference on some pages.
    I also had a small photography notebook to back up some buildings I had been studying (although I tried not to use photos I had copied from)

I must mention I have been doing a portfolio course so that does help a lot.
    But to be honest I think they want to see good quality drawings but with a bit of experimentation.

Presentation is also good.
    The night before DIT submission.. I stayed up till 6am tidying and filling out empty spaced.

I didn't have one finished piece in it.
    I had some crappy life drawings.

3 A2 notebooks
    1 A3 photography thingy

that was it. I'm pretty sure IADT won't be so generous with their points.
    You should have seen the 3rd A2 notebook I put in. It was hilarious. Full of ****ty line drawings, and a few pen and ink sketches. That will definitely bring the points down.
    Sorry for this massive ramble. I'm not sure what really got me 600 points really.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I got 480 in fine art and visual communication and unsuccessful in photography. I dropped out of DIT at the end of October from computer science a day before the deadline to get the fee back, the course just didn't suit me. I even did a drawing I shoved in to the back of my portfolio I did while I was up there, that's saying something.

I set my eyes on photography and made that myself but I also joined an art, craft and design course(caught up on two missed months :eek:) and made the art portfolio and got that surprising result, delighted with that, not that chuft about the photogrpahy. I highly recommend joining a portfolio course seeing how the art portfolio marked up.

I improved the art portfolio and left the photography one the same since DIT, so I look forward to discovering if that made a difference in other colleges. At the end of the day they see want they want to see that gets the marks, I can't imagine marks would be "lost" for including a dodgy sketch pad.

:eek: :eek: Wow some people scored really good, So does anyone know when we find out when we got our places do we find out before the cao offers so confused about all of this ? dont even know yet if i will be guaranteed a place so annoying !! so did anyone apply to limerick ?

:eek: :eek: Wow some people scored really good, So does anyone know when we find out when we got our places do we find out before the cao offers so confused about all of this ? dont even know yet if i will be guaranteed a place so annoying !! so did anyone apply to limerick ?

Interesting bit in the paper today....

CAO POINTS for many popular third-level courses are set to increase this year after figures confirmed a record level of demand from students.
    A Higher Education Authority (HEA) report shows the number of applicants reached a record high of 71,843 in 2010, an increase of 6.2 per cent from 2009.

Career experts predict that CAO points for higher level courses in arts, business and science could increase this year.

But points could fall for law and architecture, sectors where many graduates are struggling to secure employment.

The study also shows that first-preference applications for medicine and other healthcare programmes have increased while there has been a slight fall in the demand for law and business courses. The report by Dr Vivienne Patterson, head of statistics at the HEA, underlines the dominance of arts and humanities in higher education in Ireland.

Almost 16,000 students have put arts/humanities degree courses as their first choice, representing more than one-quarter of all students. Over 10 per cent of students also made teaching courses their first option and some 15 per cent opted for business courses as their first preference.

By contrast, only six per cent of students made science their first option. Overall, just four per cent of students listed courses in engineering or computers as their first preference. But the HEA has been encouraged by the increase in applications for courses linked to science and technology.
    The figures show students deserting courses linked to the property and construction sectors.

First-preference applications for construction courses dropped from 2,225 in 2009 to 1,758 in 2010. These make up 2.8 per cent of first preference applicants compared to 7.1 per cent in 2007.

The HEA said the record level of applications shows that demand for higher education remains very strong. It anticipates that more third-level places than ever before will be offered this autumn.

More than two out of three 18-year-olds in Ireland proceed to higher education compared to one in five 30 years ago, the authority said. However, the record student numbers will place further strains on the higher education sector, which is already struggling to cope with a six per cent drop in funding.

Earlier this year, HEA chief executive Tom Boland raised the prospect of a cap on student numbers at third level. While colleges have ruled out a cap this year, pressure on funding means they cannot expand the number of places to meet increased demand.

There are over 110,000 full-time undergraduate students in Ireland. Mr Boland has warned that the State “cannot increase the student numbers year on year’’ without addressing funding. Irish Times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

The numbers this year applying are unreal heard 2000 applyed to iadt!

I'm in DIT at the moment, doing product design, where some of our lecturers also teach other design courses.

Firstly, I find it surprising that so many have applied to IADT and graphic design courses in general. It's a tough industry that may have an uncertain future, and since the print industry is slowly contracting, there will be even less demand for graphic designers.

Secondly, I find it surprising that not too many people have applied to NCAD because of portfolio brief. The brief is designed to help you. It's already setting constraints, and in real life you will be designing under constraints.

if you have too little time, read this, cos this is the most important part of the post which is most relevant to the topic

Finally, as for those who have put in a lot of work into portfolio but haven't got in, don't feel down. In DIT, some of my lecturers were on the reviewing panel. They are looking for lateral thinking, intuitive work and potential for innovation. I agree about the intuitive work bit, because if you've done a bunch of graphics tutorials and used this as portfolio, it doesn't show necessary initiative needed for industry. I disagree slightly with innovation and lateral thinking bit, because being good is more important than being original. If you are designing something, you have to find a way of connecting with an audience. I don't see how a panel of about 12 or so lecturers(probably less in DIT due to staff cutbacks) can decide how your work can impact a large audience. There is never a guarantee that they can go into the mind of about 1000 random people with 1000 different personalities. ;)

Also, how is it possible to tell how much you will improve by the time you graduate, if you are required to submit the work you've done in the period of one or two years?

And on another note, don't feel bad if you haven't got into a design course. Your should think more about how to find yourself a way to make a living, rather than how to be a designer. Service-based occupations like design don't last that long, and they are not stable. I guarantee that after you graduate, you'll still have to come up with a way to make a living.

How about paying for short courses? For example, some professional designers are running animation or cartooning or poster design courses in Temple Bar and some other places. You have to pay, but you don't need portfolio. Visit galleries, design studios, community projects that deal with design. Just do a couple of these courses, produce your own work, talk to people who have graphics software and try to network a bit. There are ways out.

Advertisement