Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT PORTFOLIO SCORES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 muselover

I got a letter too, I applied for Fine Art. The letter just said I was unsuccessful and didn't give me any score out of 600. How do I find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

muselover wrote: »
    I got a letter too, I applied for Fine Art. The letter just said I was unsuccessful and didn't give me any score out of 600. How do I find out?
    BlueNemo wrote: »
    I've emailed them and they sent out my marks sheet.. Which was no help as they gave me the same (low) mark in every single box. Looks like someone wanted to have a coffee break.......

I think you can request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

I've emailed them and they sent out my marks sheet.. Which was no help as they gave me the same (low) mark in every single box. Looks like someone wanted to have a coffee break.......

Hmm who did you talk to to get you marks sheet?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

Hmm who did you talk to to get you marks sheet?

I literally just complained by email to the admissions office about my marks, asked could I find out were i went wrong. My reply was simply the attachment of my marks sheet. They weren't even bothered to write a simple paragraph explaining it was my marks, I nearly deleted it thinking it was a virus.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Add me to the list of people who have been given bizarre review scores. Months of praise from my lecturers, peers and media professionals, only to be failed without explanation. Doesn't add up at all. And I'd somewhat understand if I had applied for Fine Art but I applied for Vis Com, and design isn't as subjective as art.

Hopefully IADT aren't this inconsistent and downright baffling. Anyone know when their results are out?

I'm the very very same. I applied for both Fine Art and Vis Comm (kinda thought hey, if i dont get one, maybe i'll get the other)... Turns out both where unsuccessful. I applied for Design Display too.. Surprise Surprise the marks were unsuccessful in that too.

One thing that really annoyed me, was the fact I got the same mark in every box on my mark sheets, a clean 50. You'd think they'd give a 45 or 55 somewhere, just to shake things up a bit.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I literally just complained by email to the admissions office about my marks, asked could I find out were i went wrong. My reply was simply the attachment of my marks sheet. They weren't even bothered to write a simple paragraph explaining it was my marks, I nearly deleted it thinking it was a virus.

I'd better get complaining then! yeah the system seems to be a bit of a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

I'm going to suggest something, which i know will sound like im suggesting some form of conspiracy.

But does anyone else think that there are other factors that come into the whole thing than just your portfolio. Because honestly its a bit too random.

Hmmmm like what though? and how would they know about the person behind the portfolio? :confused:

I dunno :confused: .. was just something i've heard from a lot of people recently. Been hearing stories of different scores different years for the exact same portfolios too. Some of it seems far fetched but then keeps coming back to mind lol

dan759 wrote: »
    I dunno :confused: .. was just something i've heard from a lot of people recently. Been hearing stories of different scores different years for the exact same portfolios too. Some of it seems far fetched but then keeps coming back to mind lol

Well from the scores people have been reporting, I assume they use some kind of eeny meeny miney mo system to award the scores.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i question the system quite alot. maybe get onto welfare bout it being looked into

I would like to see some pic's of work by people who got low and high scores.

When I was submitting stuff I honestly thought I didnt stand a chance but yet I got 540 ?
    I am happy I got the points don't get me wrong but still I question the way in which things are marked, plus the lack feedback if you get good or bad results.

I've submitted my portfolio to a few other colleges so it'll be interesting to see how they mark it. If I get similiar marks I'll know it wasn't a good portfolio, but if I do manage to get marks leaning towards the higher end of the scale, well I'll be doing some serious complaining to DIT.:mad:

This happened to me last year, I was unsuccessful in DIT, and another college gave me 490 points. Shame I never followed it up and just repeated my portfolio course.

You'd think after 2 years in a prep course you'd be able to give a college what they wanted :(

I'd better get complaining then! yeah the system seems to be a bit of a joke.

I just mailed them literally saying 'Hi, Im not happy with my score, tell me where I've gone wrong.'

Only took them a day to reply actually, at least they're sufficent at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Blue nemo thats awful, in your course what did ur tutors say? Is it a full time course?

I know the feeling Blue Nemo.. I've spent two years working on my portfolio too. All my tutors said they thought my projects were really strong.. I also went to an art college in whales for an interview and the two guys that are head of the photography department said they were very impressed with my portfolio too :confused:

Which brings me back to DIT probably having an eeny meeny miny moe selection process :(

I know the feeling Blue Nemo.. I've spent two years working on my portfolio too. All my tutors said they thought my projects were really strong.. I also went to an art college in whales for an interview and the two guys that are head of the photography department said they were very impressed with my portfolio too :confused:

Which brings me back to DIT probably having an eeny meeny miny moe selection process :(

They don't deserve students who put this much in and care so much just to get initial acceptance!

Dan did you request your results ?? I was :eek::confused: when you didn't get in. I seen your stuff and it is very good.

Thanks very much chorcai :o

Yeah i requested the sheet, I scored "Satisfactory" in each of the marking components. But i dont really buy it cause i know for at least "technical & practical ability" i did an awful lot.

I would understand if they were selecting the best of the best and someone had much better work than me, but as i said already on this thread, i've seen other peoples portfolios for DIT and theie stuff was very questionable and they got high scores :confused:

And now i find myself asking if i even want to go to dit.. From my LC i have 360 points.. so my LC and the portfolio bring me to 660, which is higher than what was needed last year.. so if points happen to drop or stay the same i can probably expect an offer, the only thing is i'm not sure if i want it anymore lol :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Have you applied anywhere else Dan?

• Advertisement

Thanks very much chorcai :o

Yeah i requested the sheet, I scored "Satisfactory" in each of the marking components. But i dont really buy it cause i know for at least "technical & practical ability" i did an awful lot.

I would understand if they were selecting the best of the best and someone had much better work than me, but as i said already on this thread, i've seen other peoples portfolios for DIT and theie stuff was very questionable and they got high scores :confused:

And now i find myself asking if i even want to go to dit.. From my LC i have 360 points.. so my LC and the portfolio bring me to 660, which is higher than what was needed last year.. so if points happen to drop or stay the same i can probably expect an offer, the only thing is i'm not sure if i want it anymore lol :confused:

I take it there is no way they will look at your stuff again ?

IMO each college or every college art/photography/etc course, should start using the NCAD brief system it will take away all this hassle.

I agree, a brief would make it much more fair. They wouldnt look at anyones stuff again i don't think. If they did and gave a higher score that would open a whole can of worms lol.

Yeah i've applied for IADT and Coleg Sir Gar in Whales. Both art colleges, so i'm hoping they look at things differently :o

Yeah i've applied for IADT and Coleg Sir Gar in Whales. Both art colleges, so i'm hoping they look at things differently :o

I applied for IADT too, hopefully they'll atleast be consistent with their marking!

I applied for IADT too, hopefully they'll atleast be consistent with their marking!

Best of luck :D Hopefully it all goes well! We get scores in may yeah?

Best of luck :D Hopefully it all goes well! We get scores in may yeah?

You too! Yeah that's what I've heard anyway, hopefully it won't be quite that long till we know! Dying to know at this stage.

You too! Yeah that's what I've heard anyway, hopefully it won't be quite that long till we know! Dying to know at this stage.

Its a long time wait ! Why ??

Blue nemo thats awful, in your course what did ur tutors say? Is it a full time course?

yeah my portfolio course is a fulltime course, although this year its been a bit easier with less hours

College in wales? Kilmarden or something? Yeah I was going up for that last year too, decided not to go through with it at the last minute because I didnt want to move country for college.

Seems our stories are pretty similiar, maybe we've both done something to make DIT refuse to let us in? haha

On another note, do you think if enough people complained to DIT about unfair portfolio scores, that they might re-evaluate some?

Come on, we cant all be THAT bad at art :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

On another note, do you think if enough people complained to DIT about unfair portfolio scores, that they might re-evaluate some?

Come on, we cant all be THAT bad at art :rolleyes:

You could be onto something there, is there any name on the score sheets people got back ? (just use initals) Maybe some one had a pissy day ? If J.K(eg) scored a lot of people low marks, ye could have a case.

This morning I got a letter from DIT offering a place to me.

Advertisement