Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT PORTFOLIO SCORES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

BlueNemo wrote: »
    Quick question, who here HAS recieved a score, but just isnt happy with it:mad:... And who recieved a big fat zero?:(

I got 350/600, which I was fairly disappointed with. Don't mind too much now though after finding out about all the people who were ripped off with "unsuccessful" scores. Such a rediculous scoring system :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 _kayla_

Yeah heard that too about iadt , but theres still a lot applying to dit aswell as only a minority applied to ncad which means the points are going to shoot up too , did u apply for viscom too ? this is my 2nd year of applying to dit im giving up if i dont get anything ucd it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

dan759 wrote: »
    IADT and Whales.

I'm dying to hear back from IADT at this stage lol. I wanna see if they score me low too.. then i can be sure its something in my portfolio rather than something unknown :o

Oh I know what you mean, I'm dying to hear back from other colleges I've applied to, to see what the hell other people think of it! haha

I got 350/600, which I was fairly disappointed with. Don't mind too much now though after finding out about all the people who were ripped off with "unsuccessful" scores. Such a rediculous scoring system :(

"Ripped off" haha, to be honest it really does feel like you've been ripped off when you fail. Sorta makes all your hardwork seem pointless.

Well done on gettin 350 though! You're one of the lucky ones ;) haha

"Ripped off" haha, to be honest it really does feel like you've been ripped off when you fail. Sorta makes all your hardwork seem pointless.

Well done on gettin 350 though! You're one of the lucky ones ;) haha

Thanks! Hopefully IADT will be fair and recognize the people who desserve the places!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maisie

You are certainly making it sound like you think that the people who scored well in DIT didn't deserve the results the got. On what basis do calculate the 'DESERVE' bit. You have not seen all the portfolios! Sounds like sour grapes to me. Is there any possibility that you are not as creative as you think you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Theres always people who get in and those who don't. Like mentioned earlier theres more competition this year because ncad put some people off so theres more then usual that got rejected. I have to say im alittle surprised by some of the reactions here but you all must have reasons for thinking you were cheated. i know people who got full marks and their work was great so i dont know what to think. I hope this is resolved for everyone especially bluenemo, cant imagine working for two years and getting rejected, still theres more results due then DIT!

Maisie wrote: »
    You are certainly making it sound like you think that the people who scored well in DIT didn't deserve the results the got. On what basis do calculate the 'DESERVE' bit. You have not seen all the portfolios! Sounds like sour grapes to me. Is there any possibility that you are not as creative as you think you are?

I think that it's quite unfair that some people like Nemo who spent a long time making their portfolio get marked as unsuccessful, I'm happy enough with my score. Sorry if I sounded pompous in earlier posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Maisie i know what your saying. If I hadn't seen some of the portfolios from people that scored high I would have been happily un-aware. But I have seen a few of people that got very good scores that totally lacked in creativity and skill. Don't get me wrong though, i'm sure most people who scored well got the score they deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I think that it's quite unfair that some people like Nemo who spent a long time making their portfolio get marked as unsuccessful, I'm happy enough with my score. Sorry if I sounded pompous in earlier posts!

Pompous ?? No.
    Standing up for your work ? Yes !
    There's the differance.

• Advertisement

Chorcai wrote: »
    Pompous ?? No.
    Standing up for your work ? Yes !
    There's the differance.

Haha cheers Chorcai.

btw, this is my main project from my portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43907758@N08/sets/72157622573313773/

Anyone got examples of portfolio work? Would be nice to see what I'm up against :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Haha cheers Chorcai.

btw, this is my main project from my portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43907758@N08/sets/72157622573313773/

Anyone got examples of portfolio work? Would be nice to see what I'm up against :D

Art stuff, didnt think my photos were strong enough.

9622185A37B8418AAF690198ECF2020E-240.jpg2E659527BE32419390E0E1C3956A8752-240.jpg

37DF5F45221D4951815EE7ED84AFDCD6-240.jpg62595D7AA7894C60AD05732EABC0117C-240.jpg

Here is the majority of the images i submitted for the photography assessment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34002339@N02/sets/72157623689981205/

A few things to point out. For my two projects "The Entity" and "Surreal Expression" there is no photoshop. All Images are as they were staight from the camera. The only photoshop for them two projects was putting them in their layouts lol.

My Surreal Expression project is a bit out there, but i was trying to incorporate different forms of absract artists work into photography without having to use photoshop. Different artists i used as inspiration were Louis Le Brocquy, a few ideas from some of Van Gogh and Arnulf Rainer. I thought it was a bit of a risky choice.. I guess it probably was lol.

Also, this isnt my full portfolio. I can't seem to find some on my images on my hard-drive at the minute :mad: lol.

Anyway, there ya go. If I wasn't creative, i don't know what else to do?

Here is the majority of the images i submitted for the photography assessment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34002339@N02/sets/72157623689981205/

A few things to point out. For my two projects "The Entity" and "Surreal Expression" there is no photoshop. All Images are as they were staight from the camera. The only photoshop for them two projects was putting them in their layouts lol.

My Surreal Expression project is a bit out there, but i was trying to incorporate different forms of absract artists work into photography without having to use photoshop. Different artists i used as inspiration were Louis Le Brocquy, a few ideas from some of Van Gogh and Arnulf Rainer. I thought it was a bit of a risky choice.. I guess it probably was lol.

Also, this isnt my full portfolio. I can't seem to find some on my images on my hard-drive at the minute :mad: lol.

Anyway, there ya go. If I wasn't creative, i don't know what else to do?

Haha yeah it's out there alright. How did you make the balls of light in the Entity?

I really like the Alice shots, captures the creepiness of the mad hatter very well.

I tied a bit of rope to an led and swung it around in circular motions. Took me a few weeks of trial and error to get it right! What you need to to is make the light always go over the midpoint of the orb while you rotate around it swinging the light. It can get sore on your arms after a while! lol

Thanks :o The Hatter was the most fun part of that project.

I tied a bit of rope to an led and swung it around in circular motions. Took me a few weeks of trial and error to get it right! What you need to to is make the light always go over the midpoint of the orb while you rotate around it swinging the light. It can get sore on your arms after a while! lol

Thanks :o The Hatter was the most fun part of that project.

Yeah that does sound like something that would require a lot of trial and error lol

Holy crap your photography's excellent. I agree, your Mad Hatter one's captured the character perfectly.

My faith in all thingy art related has been restored, passed Limerick :D.

How the hell does a person fail in one college and pass another :rolleyes:

Haha why thank you! I'm starting to think college's dont really go on their portfolio guidelines but more personal taste... After all, art is subjective. Maybe I'm ahead of my time :D.

(That was supposed to sound pompous ;))

Haha why thank you! I'm starting to think college's dont really go on their portfolio guidelines but more personal taste... After all, art is subjective. Maybe I'm ahead of my time :D.

(That was supposed to sound pompous ;))

lol yeah you really nailed pompous there!

Congrats on passing Limerick!

Thanks a lot Nemo. And a big congrats!! Hopefully IADT is the same and gives you a good score too :)

• Advertisement

lol yeah you really nailed pompous there!

Congrats on passing Limerick!
    Thank you very much.. yeah I didn't mean to sound like that, it was just too tempting to phrase it that way.

Heck if I dont like my art, who else will?:rolleyes: haha
    Thanks a lot Nemo. And a big congrats!! Hopefully IADT is the same and gives you a good score too :)

Thank you! I never appiled for IADT though :o. Just athlone and cork left now.

Still waiting on an email from cork saying when I can show them my portfolio (bit of a mix up on this one).. should hear from them in a few days fingers crossed.

Anyone thinking of giving up the art option completely or all we all die-hard artists/photographers etc etc?

I know I'm pretty damn determined to do this :rolleyes:.

I ended up doing my portfolio course by sheer fluke and becaude i had nothing else to do. I had never even picked up a camera before doing it lol. But now i've found something to finally work towards that i actually like! i've done 2 college courses before and dropped out because they didnt feel right. Theres no way im backing down from photography! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Lolnouska

I got 500 points for dit for photography, which was 100 points more than last year (when i was doing my leaving cert)
    I'm pretty happy with it but rather go to IADT, and they marked me real low last year so I've no idea what the story will be this year.
    fingers crossed i guess!

I ended up doing my portfolio course by sheer fluke and becaude i had nothing else to do. I had never even picked up a camera before doing it lol. But now i've found something to finally work towards that i actually like! i've done 2 college courses before and dropped out because they didnt feel right. Theres no way im backing down from photography! :D

I've wanted to do this since I was 7 :D. It started off with Fashion Design, then Interior Design, then I found myself settling with Graphics and now here I am :). If thats not dedication towards a subject I dunno what is :rolleyes:. Heck, I paint for fun :cool:.
    Lolnouska wrote: »
    I got 500 points for dit for photography, which was 100 points more than last year (when i was doing my leaving cert)
    I'm pretty happy with it but rather go to IADT, and they marked me real low last year so I've no idea what the story will be this year.
    fingers crossed i guess!

To be honest I'd kill to be in your position, you're in the situation of being able to TURN DOWN DIT?? :eek: You realise this thread's about people working for your place right?:rolleyes:

I just assumed it was were you say what your points were, since the thread is called DIT PORTFOLIO SCORES :pac:

I just assumed it was were you say what your points were, since the thread is called DIT PORTFOLIO SCORES :pac:

It kinda turned into 'moan and complain about not being good enough for DIT'.. Sorry about that folks :rolleyes:.

Thanks for showing how the other half live though;).

Ah no, I'm messing. Congrats on having what appears to be an awesome portfolio considering you got excellent marks!:)

Anyone thinking of giving up the art option completely or all we all die-hard artists/photographers etc etc?

I know I'm pretty damn determined to do this :rolleyes:.

All I've got down on CAO is IADT and DIT for photography. Wouldn't mind doing film making or something similar though :cool:

If I don't get DIT or IADT I'll hopefully be doing a year in Stillorgan College, does anyone know how good/bad it is?

All I've got down on CAO is IADT and DIT for photography. Wouldn't mind doing film making or something similar though :cool:

If I don't get DIT or IADT I'll hopefully be doing a year in Stillorgan College, does anyone know how good/bad it is?

I'm in stillorgan at the moment doing photography, and it's a tiny college with pretty old/broken facilitates. The teachers helped alot for the first 2 months, then they didn't really care after that and let us do what we wanted. and the main photography teacher, is a bit of an knob.

however, I'm still really happy I went cause it did help, and even if the facilities arn't the best, its still very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

After seeing some of your photos over in the photography forum I can see why you got in Lou. Do you have a flickr or a deviant?

• Advertisement

I'm in stillorgan at the moment doing photography, and it's a tiny college with pretty old/broken facilitates. The teachers helped alot for the first 2 months, then they didn't really care after that and let us do what we wanted. and the main photography teacher, is a bit of an knob.

however, I'm still really happy I went cause it did help, and even if the facilities arn't the best, its still very helpful.

Ah right, it's plan c at the moment. Nice to know there's a lot of freedom lol

Advertisement