Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT PORTFOLIO SCORES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Nope I'm only 19!!! That's a bit unfair.. wonder could you email them about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 _kayla_

im 19 too, thought u where a mature student that time before you said you where 19, yeah thats really annoying i have 795 in total so obviously musnt be enuf il just have to settle for limerick instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Ye have to wait for CAO. Mature/others get their offers early.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

_kayla_ wrote: »
    im 19 too, thought u where a mature student that time before you said you where 19, yeah thats really annoying i have 795 in total so obviously musnt be enuf il just have to settle for limerick instead

I think 795 meets the requirements though :S that's so odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

Hasn't anyone learnt DIT's a bit odd

I'm STILL waiting on a reply from them about my portfolio scores. I dont like being ignored. Sent them about 4 emails at this stage. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 mc_coster

Saaron wrote: »
    I think 795 meets the requirements though :S that's so odd!

i have 795 aswell .....so if dit didnt send me an offer, that means i defo didnt get in or do i have to wait till the cao comes out????is there still a chance i can get in????

also i got 450 in dit for vis com and 240 in iadt i wasnt excepting a drop of 190 points now......

mc_coster wrote: »
    i have 795 aswell .....so if dit didnt send me an offer, that means i defo didnt get in or do i have to wait till the cao comes out????is there still a chance i can get in????

also i got 450 in dit for vis com and 240 in iadt i wasnt excepting a drop of 190 points now......

CAO, unless you applied as a mature student, sometimes they can offer a place before CAO offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nijel

why the hell cant they just be happy with the leaving cert itself!! is that not enough work and stress through the year! instead of portfolio ask for a higher art grade for goodness sake.

nijel wrote: »
    why the hell cant they just be happy with the leaving cert itself!! is that not enough work and stress through the year! instead of portfolio ask for a higher art grade for goodness sake.

Then what about mature students ? Should they just have to do a portfolio ? It would be a bit unfair on both parties.

What should happen is one project to do all colleges. ie NCAD brief. Like it or loath it, the idea behind it is good, a level playing field for everyone, to be viewed and done the way he/she see fit.

Level playing field? It would be if colleges marked portfolios in the same manner! The differences I've had between scores in different colleges with the same portfolio is astonishing.

• Advertisement

BlueNemo wrote: »
    Level playing field? It would be if colleges marked portfolios in the same manner! The differences I've had between scores in different colleges with the same portfolio is astonishing.

Each college I guess is looking for a "type/style" of student, I still think one breif issued by all the colleges should be implemented.

Chorcai wrote: »
    Each college I guess is looking for a "type/style" of student, I still think one breif issued by all the colleges should be implemented.

So colleges, offering the same course, with identical guidelines, are looking for separate "types" of students? Thats ridiculous! There shouldn't be any difference in marking schemes to start off with. I agree that colleges should use one brief or variations of a brief, but even then, that wouldn't stop each college having a certain 'style' of student.

I think I'm just ranting now:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 VeronicaMoon

I'm hoping to apply a photography portfolio to DIT this march, and I'm really confused about what to put in it,I have no idea what i can and can't do eg editing photos??confused.gifconfused.gif, do you need to use a dslr camera for the photos and does the college give out themes or do you pick your own, o and please please tell me you dont need to draw anything :/? Judging from previous posts about DIT photography it sounds really hard to get into lol? I've been searching all over the website for some kind of guidance but there is absolutely nothing there lol also I dont live in naaavaan so any kind of portfolio course isnt goina happen! however i was looking at a course with the dublin camera club :S Anyone know anyththing? smile.gif
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

lol also I dont live in naaavaan so any kind of portfolio course isnt goina happen!

You dont have to live in Navan to do a portfolio course. I didnt even go to one in Navan anyway.

You dont have to live in Navan to do a portfolio course. I didnt even go to one in Navan anyway.

haha big typo..I meant to say I LIVE in navan and the only places I can find is marino and stillorgan :confused::confused::confused: where did you go ?

haha big typo..I meant to say I LIVE in navan and the only places I can find is marino and stillorgan :confused::confused::confused: where did you go ?

Wow do i know you :pac: haha I went to DIFE in Drogheda. They dont do photography course, but they do a portfolio course, and will help you base it on photography.

I dont know much about photography portfolios but I'm pretty sure it should contain some elements of basic drawing skills anyways.

Wow do i know you :pac: haha I went to DIFE in Drogheda. They dont do photography course, but they do a portfolio course, and will help you base it on photography.

I dont know much about photography portfolios but I'm pretty sure it should contain some elements of basic drawing skills anyways.

haha unless you live in 'little dublin' lol!! oh cool, how far away is DIFE from navan and is there a bus that goes there?? do you need a portfolio to get in? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

eh, because the LC doesn't prove your ability to be accepted to an art college? the leaving cert practical art exams are ridiculously bias and non-standardised across the board? A few weeks work doesn't show you can hack the constant creative workload any decent art college would demand? the standard entering college would be subpar compared to people who spent an intensive year or two working on their portfolio? the standard would be lower for art college graduates nationally? Ultimately leading our countries art colleges to be seen as easy, lazy and pointless. Take your pick.

haha unless you live in 'little dublin' lol!! oh cool, how far away is DIFE from navan and is there a bus that goes there?? do you need a portfolio to get in? :eek:

DIFE is in drogheda, so you get the bus from Navan to Drogheda. It's about 40mins. No you dont need a portfolio, you just apply on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc_coster

i was looking up the points from last for vis com in DIT its 650 in 2009 and 690 in 2008.
    im getting abit nervous about the 23ed (only 12 days away:eek:)because i know a few people who have allready been accepted.i got 450 i my portfolio and i did my LC last year and got 345 so i have 795 points.....thats 145 more than last years adverage points should i be nervous????

for the people who have been accepted ,what points did yous get??:confused:

i realy want to do vis com it makes up most of my cao and i know im not getting into IADT so DIT is my last chance but i have also put down vis com in waterford!(but i dont realy want to move)has anyone heared anything about that course?you still get a BA in visual communications so cant be bad...

any help would be great
    thanks;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

mc_coster wrote: »
    i know a few people who have allready been accepted.i got 450 i my portfolio and i did my LC last year and got 345 so i have 795 points.....thats 145 more than last years adverage points should i be nervous????

The people offered places already are either deferred applicants or are getting an offer based on their FETAC and I think you should be safe. I got an offer on that course based on my FETAC and accepted it in round zero but I want fine art for the next round(round one). I'm 200+ points above last years requirements, just wait for the next offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rosie30

DIFE is in drogheda, so you get the bus from Navan to Drogheda. It's about 40mins. No you dont need a portfolio, you just apply on their website
    After reading through this thread REALLY interested in where you are heading to BlueNemo????? Did u get DIT in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EoinoDowd

hi, first post, apologies if ive balls it up, i too have read this whole thread found it very interesting, and just wanted to say from my own experience.

back in 6th class, i made my own portfolio and placed ncad as my first choice, i got called for an interview and arsed that up, being my awkwardly intense self.

i then did a plc course, and produced a portfolio that was infinitely better,
    but placed Dit fineart first this time, (for reasons i wont get into now unless prompted to) ncad was 3rd choice,they marked me rather poorly, as did iadt, though less so, who were 2nd choice.
    Id even been told during the plc course by my tutor, that portfolios submitted to colleges that are not first choice will be given far less consideration, than those which are, unless the quality of the work is something really special. its awful, but thats just the heinous self obsessed politics of the art world.

just thought id give my two cents, cheers, and best of luck to those in the future.

EoinoDowd wrote: »
    Id even been told during the plc course by my tutor, that portfolios submitted to colleges that are not first choice will be given far less consideration, than those which are, unless the quality of the work is something really special. its awful, but thats just the heinous self obsessed politics of the art world.

just thought id give my two cents, cheers, and best of luck to those in the future.

That's not right, colleges don't know where you have placed them regarding 1st,2nd,3rd. This is why the CAO is there, you submit your portfoilo, they mark it, they then contact CAO saying student with XYZ number, we would like to offer him/her a place. The CAO then check where you have placed this college, and other colleges offers.

So you apply for NCAD(1st choice),DIT(2nd),CIT(3rd) ok,

You get an offer from of a place from all the colleges, the CAO then look at your application and see that NCAD are 1st choice, all other offers a disregarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EoinoDowd

Thanks for clearing that up, i never really questioned the archaic purpose of the CAO :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Can I ask Eoin in what year did you apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rosie30

DIT portfolio results available if you ring admissions!!! Know loads of people that got them before letters posted. Very high results in the Interior Design/General Design courses in DIFE! A good few 600 out of 600s!! Blown away by results this year. BIG improvement on last years questionable results!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lemonade1

got my results with 550 for fine art
    i kno a few ppl with 600 so is there much chance on an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

lemonade1 wrote: »
    got my results with 550 for fine art
    i kno a few ppl with 600 so is there much chance on an offer?

Once you do well in the leaving cert itself there should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 lemonade1

Once you do well in the leaving cert itself there should be.

cool thanks! well im aiming for around 430-450? think thats enough?? was told the points are sky rocketing this year....

Advertisement