Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play.com changed my order??

Options
  • 27-03-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Recently i pre-ordered Avatar Steelbook bluray from play.com, everyone else such as amazon, hmv etc were selling the same bluray except play.com were giving a free glow in the dark tee shirt with it probably to get people to buy it from them...anyways on flicking through play.com last night i noticed they had changed this, no more free glow in the dark tee shirt, so i checked my order and sure enough they had changed my order as well..

Are they within their rights to do this as i didnt get an email or nothing from them notifying me of this??

What pees me of the most is that now they are selling the standard steelbook edition for 32.49EUR (same price as it was with the free tee shirt) and you can buy it from amazon for 25.73GBD inc VAT and free delivery (around 27EUR), i would have ordered it from amazon in the first place if not for the free shirt.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What does it say on the confirmation email that you received when you place the order?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

the confirmation email states the steelbook and the free glow in the dark tee shirt and so did my account on play.com when i ordered it but now they have changed it, can they do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Did you receive it yet? The email you received from them will be your proof. Maybe the on line account wouldn't include this anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Cancel the order and order it from Sendit.com who let you order in sterling (and thus you save money as play.com's euro exchange rate is a rip off) or order from zavvi or blah or the hut or asda or hmv or amazon etc etc. There are a hell of a lot of etailers out there apart from play.

Btw I've had similar experiences to you when ordering from play when the little extras offered such as art cards, posters etc never came with the order. Queries to play were ignored. However as I'm not interested in these extras, I wasn't too bothered. I believe these extras are for their UK customers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Did you receive it yet? The email you received from them will be your proof. Maybe the on line account wouldn't include this anyway.

IT was pre-ordered out late april....heres a copy of the confirmation email i got...

To: Noel Doran

This email is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order which has been passed to our dispatch department to be processed.

Thank you for ordering with www.play.com

Please check the following order information:

Order Reference(s) : 207971509

Item : James Cameron's Avatar: Steelbook Combi Pack (Blu-ray & DVD) - Online Exclusive (w/FREE Glow in the Dark T-shirt, 4 Artcards & Book) (2009)
    Price : EUR 32.49
    Quantity : 1
    Delivery Cost : Free
    Payment : Credit Card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

NoelDoran wrote: »
    This email is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order which has been passed to our dispatch department to be processed.

Looks like they can. This is only saying that "yes, we acknowledge that you would like this product".

The main thing here is the money. Has it exchanged hands? ie, have they billed your credit card? If so, then you have a case, as the sale has gone through. If not, then there's been no sale, and all that's happened so far is that you have indicated you want something and they have indicated that they know that you want it, nothing more.

My guess is that they were under-stocked, or maybe let down by the supplier's of the t-shirt. Either way, it was poor form to just change your order without highlighting it to you and apologising. Best bet is to cancel and order off whoever's cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Stopped using them as they scew ya on the £ to € conversion.

I was going to order this, glad I didn’t now, chancers and I'd be a right pain the ass chasing them up for your t-shirt.

Interested to hear if anyone else has the same problem......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

NoelDoran wrote: »
    i would have ordered it from amazon in the first place if not for the free shirt.........
    You are also liable to pay VAT & handling fee on the play.com order as they ship from jersey, there is no risk from amazon as they ship from the UK, but you also pay Irish VAT, so that price you saw might go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Have you tried to contact Play to find out about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Trying to contact play.com is like squeezing blood from a stone. I stopped using them since they screwed up a preordered game delivery supposedly sent 2 days before release which arrived only more than 1 week after, completely negating the advantage of preordering (this happened to loads of ppl in the same boat, it was not a postal issue). Throughout they were hard to contact and their responses, if any, were entirely unsatisfactory. There are plenty of other places you can take your business too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

play wont send anything like that to ireland in my experience, its for uk user only even tho its not stated on the site thats why i stopped using them, they also dont reply to customer queries another reason to avoid them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

dotsman wrote: »
    Looks like they can.

Eh? By that logic, they could send you 2 sheets of A4 paper, for that price?

They don't have to fulfill the order (I think that's what you mean?) because it's only an acknowledgement. However, that does not give them the right to charge the agreed amount for Product 1, on a different Product 2. A free t-shirt alters the product offering quite significantly in my book.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

I've been through a similar experience. :)

They change contact details regularly but this might get them as it was working up until December last. The phone number on their site only works from the UK as its a locall number or similar and this is the phone number it is sitting on.

+44 (0)1534 877 595 -

You can also email playtradecs@play.com - this is the customer service email for plays marketplace but AFAIK it's the same people who handle the main customer service. Again up till last Dec this was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

cgarvey wrote: »
    Eh? By that logic, they could send you 2 sheets of A4 paper, for that price?

They don't have to fulfill the order (I think that's what you mean?) because it's only an acknowledgement. However, that does not give them the right to charge the agreed amount for Product 1, on a different Product 2. A free t-shirt alters the product offering quite significantly in my book.
    I understand your point, but if the t-shirt was free then it doesn't change the monetary value of the order. I wonder if there was anything about the t-shirt only being available while stocks lasted or anything similar in the initial offer or acknowledgement email?

Advertisement