Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to live in North Dublin

Options
  • 27-03-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I've been living here for years and now I'm thinking of buying, but I'm still not that familiar with the reputation of the various areas in Dublin (North side).

Could you tell me what you think of Glasnevin? I'm thinking an area that has the Botanic Gardens can't be bad, and the N2 seems convenient.

Here's the knowledge/prejudice I have gathered so far from asking around:
    NO:
    Ballybough
    Coolock, D5

YES:
    Clontarf
    Phibsborough
    Drumcondra

MEH:
    Stoneybatter: on Luas line but not very nice area at the mo
    North Strand not too nice but close to drumcondra
    Finglas: some like it but others don't

I'm a single girl with no particular ability for streetfighting or wielding guns, if you see what I mean... So looking for something affordable yet safe.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

well glasnevin is pretty nice. In general its seems quieter than most other surrounding place with some nice small shops and pubs close by but not too far from shopping and supermarkets, phibsboro, lidl, tecso (finglas) alll close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Glasnevin would be a fairly quiet, mature suburb. Castleknock would be another fairly upmarket suburb, along with Clontarf, Sutton, and Howth.

Examples of not particularly posh, nice areas would be Raheny, Killester, Artane, Santry, Phibsboro and Drumcondra.

Places with good and bad areas would be Cabra, Coolock, Donaghmede.

Places you might want to avoid are around Finglas, Ballymun, Ballybough and Sheriff Street and Darndale.

Bear in mind, these would just be general impressions of the areas, I haven't lived around them all. I'm not really sure why D5 is on your NO list - seems like a nice part of town whenever I'm there.

The best thing to do is to go look at a place, have a walk around in the evening to the local shops, pub, etc, and get a sense of the area yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

There are lots of areas in Dublin 5 that are very nice and safe, Artane, Raheny, Killester (the latter two being on the dart line), with good bus services, supermarkets close by, 15mins drive from town etc. Much nicer than Stoneybatter and Phibsborough (worked near them in recent times, and wouldn't feel very safe after dark on my own).

Glasnevin is also nice. Clontarf is lovely, but rents will be a little more there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Misccold wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been living here for years and now I'm thinking of buying, but I'm still not that familiar with the reputation of the various areas in Dublin (North side).

Could you tell me what you think of Glasnevin? I'm thinking an area that has the Botanic Gardens can't be bad, and the N2 seems convenient.

NO:
    Ballybough
    Coolock, D5

YES:
    Clontarf
    Phibsborough
    Drumcondra

MEH:

I'm a single girl with no particular ability for streetfighting or wielding guns, if you see what I mean... So looking for something affordable yet safe.

I'd consider the majority of D5 safer than Finglas or North Strand if you're worried about that. Killester / Artane are fine, have relatives who live in both and neither have complaints. If you're young / single I'd look at buying something small and cosy close enough to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Yeah. D5 and Coolock is fine. Gets a little rough if you go north of the Oscar Traynor Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Charlestown area of Finglas is fine. Lived there 3 years and never had a problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I moved from Raheny (where I grew up) to North Strand over 20 years ago - there are a number of small cul-de-sacs off the main road which are fantastic places to live. Myself, I wouldn't like Phibsborough or Drumcondra, but that's a personal thing. There's nothing wrong with either place.

I firmly believe any area is what you make of it yourself. I know people who live in all the areas you have as 'NO's and they are all quite happy there.

If money was no object, I would buy/rent a place somewhere close to St. Anne's park - again that's just a personal choice - having the sea nearby would be a plus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Misccold

Thanks everyone, that's very helpful :)
    I've put coolock back on the good list, it was on the "no" because someone said so, i didn't write down the reason though... It's better to ask more people :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

have lived in finglas for the last 6 years, as a single girl. i have had no problems or hassle.

its handy for m50, airport, city, phoenix park, ice skating, horse riding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lil_pip

Misccold wrote: »
    Hi all,

NO:
    Ballybough
    Coolock, D5

YES:
    Clontarf
    Phibsborough
    Drumcondra

MEH:

my flatmate was robbed on summerhill parade at knife point last nite so if your not tooo handy with your fists id steer clear of ballybough,i live in a beautiful house in ballybough and ive been burgled,ive had my car mirrors kicked off,and every week people bring their rubbish out and just leave it on the street,i have some nice pictures of ballybough if you would like to see them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Stacey.x

move to Lucan :D you might see Jedward!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mm.ie

Are you after the town life or the commuter life?

Finglas is fine as long as you stay east of the N2. There are some fantastic spots at the Glasnevin end. It is an area I would stay away from in general though.

Stay away from North Strand.

Phibsborough and Glasnevin are excellent areas. There are some real gems to be found hors piste around there but be careful not to stray into Cabra.

Coolock is a difficult area to define. South of the Oscar Taylor road was good advise. Santry and Whitehall are ok.

Clontarf, Killester and Howth Road are good but Fairview is best avoided for the same reasons as North Strand.

It is, as stated, a good idea to get on the ground and get a feel for the place. as answers you get here will be tainted by subjectivity.

I lived in Phibsboro' (Note the different spelling) and am a big fan. I always had the feeling of being in a city village and people tried hard to keep it that way. I particularly liked the fact that you could slip through Blessington Street Basin and you were practically in O'Connell Street.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Although, there may be an obligation if the child turns 18, and becomes a man. That isnt spelled out but implied and may be why the complainants waited until he turned 18.

I am a culchie who moved to London are a short sourjorn in Dublin. So no bias.

I lived in Raheny. If I ever go back I will buy in Raheny. I dont get that a part of Dublin which is a few stops from the centre on the Dart, has walking access to an island with a beach, is partly on the coast, has a large and interesting park, and easy access to Howth's hills ( were I used to walk at weekends) but is closer to town than Howth/Sutton etc. is considered a bad part of Dublin. It is objectively a better part of Dublin than many Southside "posh" areas which are miles from the sea.

Poshness in Dublin is amazing. Places like Raheny would have been gentrified in most European cities years ago.

( Not that it was cheap to buy when I was there - but nowhere was - but rent was alright).

I recommend the "right side" of the tracks - that is the sea side of the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Hi, just coz no-one has mentioned it yet im going to nominate Beaumont as a place to consider. Its reasonably close to the city center, access to the M1, Artane Castle & Omni shopping centers, the proximity to the hospital benefits renting out rooms etc. The area itself is good, clean well maintained estates, mostly made up of 3bed semi detached houses, low crime, good schools, couple of local shops and a nice pub, off license, petrol station. Have a look.......
    Although i do agree that Glasnevin close to the Botanic Gardens is a lovely spot..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I love Glasnevin, miss living there. I'm gona stick up for Cabra a lil bit, a lot of Cabra is just an extension of Phibsboro, anyways you'll easily know good parts and bad parts of anywhere, its plain to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

AS a single ftb you,ll get better value in a area like coolock, cabra, or finglas.
    AN older house in finglas is the cheapest.NOT to be rude areas ,like clontarf ,beaumont ,drumcondra,glasnevin,. would be much more expensive, at least 100k more in regard to house purchase.
    TRY and get sumthing close to a bus stop, and a shop.
    ARE YOU buying a house or apartment.
    IF you want more advice say your budget ie 250k max.
    Empty older houses tend to cheaper ,with old style kitchen,appliaces.
    IE when owner passes away, estate sale.
    SAY you pay 260 for a house now ,it may be worth 200 next year.But if you
    are living there 4 20years it may not be important to you.
    You borrow 200 k, you,ll end up paying back 400k ,interest plus capital over 25 years.
    Theres areas of finglas ,where every1 owns their own house, mature areas, that are ok.
    dO NOT buy close to a pub, club, or a house on the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

If I had to pick I'd say Glasnevin, Raheny, Killester, Whitehall (Anywhere around DCU/Swords road). Drumcondra and Clontarf too but they are more expensive.

With Coolock and Santry it's about the road/estate. I've never had a problem in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Raheny. Island with a beach and and amazing dune system and saltmarshes, it's also a wildlife sanctuary, 170 Acre park with woodland, promenade with cycle path, Bus's, Dart, Village, restaurants (not enough though), shops, gym, clinic, sports clubs, close to city center, decent people etc... The biggest thing for me if I was single would be the proximity to town, Raheny is very well serviced by reliable public transport. It's a very safe area too.

The island and park might not mean much to you now, but they might in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I've lived in Drumcondra, Beaumont and North Strand.

Beaumont was a nicest area.

House in Drumcondra was burgled one bank holiday weekend we were all away ... and after a quick call to the landlords "agent" (we never knew who the landlord actually was but had a number for a "go to guy", and heard plenty of possibilities from taxi drivers!) all the stolen items mysteriously and anonymously handed into Clontarf Gardai Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I grew up in Beaumont/Artane and I love the area. I've been renting on the South side for the past few years but if I ever buy I'll be going back to Beaumont. Highly recommended!

• Advertisement

I,D recommend beaumont , artane but its abit more expensive re price,1st look at each area ,whats the price of a semi d .See www.daft.ie

A house can be burgled anywhere ,drumcondra is great but prices are high.Dont pat more than 220k at the moment, prices are going down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

what about buying an economical property on the southside, one would see this as a more intelligent investment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

OP - you say you have been living "here" for years .. I assume by here you mean Dublin ?

have you been living southside or inner city ? find it hard to believe you could know so little about areas on the northside after living here for several years and yet be interested in buying a house here.

I'm from the city , have a good idea of what areas are like , good knowledge of the North and west of the city in particular and I still wouldn't want to buy a house in Dublin at the moment ( i'm quite happy to rent though :) )

I digress...

pick an area ( based on information from a variety of sources..friends, colleagues, family, internet forums ) , rent there and see if you like it .. if you don't like it when your lease is up go to another area and repeat.

whatever you do don't BUY a house in an area based on the advice of some posters on an internet forum( including myself ;-) ).

rgds,
    Gollem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    what about buying an economical property on the southside, one would see this as a more intelligent investment
    what does one mean by "economical" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Raheny. Island with a beach and and amazing dune system and saltmarshes, it's also a wildlife sanctuary, 170 Acre park with woodland, promenade with cycle path, Bus's, Dart, Village, restaurants (not enough though), shops, gym, clinic, sports clubs, close to city center, decent people etc... The biggest thing for me if I was single would be the proximity to town, Raheny is very well serviced by reliable public transport. It's a very safe area too.

The island and park might not mean much to you now, but they might in the future.

I didn't know Raheny had a wildlife sanctuary?

Yeah Raheny is nice enough, parts of it. Also Killester and Beaumont. But there's good and bad areas everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The Bull Island was declared a Bird Sanctuary in the 1930's, a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in 1981, a Nature Reserve in 1988 and a Wetland of International Importance under the Ramsar Convention. It also qualifies for designation as a Nature Heritage Area, Special Protection Area and Special area of Conservation and was declared a Special Amenity Area in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Raheny is terrible, I'd never live here. Pay loads of money and live in the nice areas on the Southside, nothing to see up here.

Shhh, stop telling people about how great Raheny is, I'm hoping to buy here soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

what does one mean by "economical" ?

hahaha.....you are so simple,I suppose I could not have expected much from a Northside thread.....hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lived in Phibsborough (Leinster Street, and briefly: across from St Peter's Church) - loved it. I wouldn't feel one bit unsafe there at night either. Plenty of services/facilities and about 25 minutes' walk from O'Connell Street. I found the bus service pretty good too. Ok, buses get delayed but there is a huge number of routes to choose from.
    I also lived in Santry for a while - very nice place but a bit too far from the city centre for me personally.

The Botanic Gardens area of Glasnevin is absolutely beautiful - but I doubt house prices would be particularly affordable there tbh.

Advertisement