Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to build my own NAS outta spare parts

Options
  • 27-03-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    Im looking to put together my own NAS from some older parts that I would get f*** all for if I tried to sell them, so I have decided to put them to some use.

Mobo: MSI K8N Neo (4 SATA and 2 PATA ports) S939
    CPU: X2 4500+ (S939)

What I need advice on is the following....

OS: I presume I should use some Linux flavour. Can anyone recommend the best/easiest to use? Is there any that do software RAID-5, or is that a total no-no, and should I therefore only consider hardware RAID-5?

The reason I ask is that the MSI mobo only has 4 SATA ports, and doesnt do RAID-5. I was also thinking of getting another 4 port SATA card, so software raid would work best, as I would have the potential to have up to 8 drives in my own NAS.

I dont really wanna spend a few hundred on a 6 or 8 port RAID-5 card, as Im trying to do this as cheaply as possible :p

Any help appreciated....

P.S. I have only rudimentary Linux knowledge, so the version that is most user friendly is best, as i dont have the know-how or the inclination to compile kernels, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

freenas is supposed to be an easy NAS system to setup.

you just install it, and access it through a web interface, and setup all the shares from there.

I don't have any direct experience with it, because it would not install on my 10 year old dell (some bios limitation).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

freenas is good but a bit rudimentary. I'd vote for openfiler, it has more features, supports more hardware (maybe?) and is easier to get a handle on for a beginner. It makes building RAID vols pretty easy through the web interface..

Even if your board did RAID5, you wouldnt be able to use it with linux as its not true hardware RAID. Soft RAID5 with Linux will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

Thanks for the replies guys.

Would there be any issues connecting to this from a windows box, as my main PC is Windows 7, and the only reason Im going for Linux, as its meant to be more reliable than windows, which is vital for a storage server.

Also, would a media drive, such as this WD TV™ Live be able to access it to play on my TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Windows will be fine, you have a choice of SMB or iSCSI. SMB will be easier for you to setup, it mounts just like a typical fileshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

I have another question.

I have wireless internet with UPC, but would rather connect my homebrew NAS directly to my PC. Can I do that with a crossover ethernet cable, or will I have to connect the NAS to the wireless router and transfer files wirelessly (would rather not).

Thanks for all your help.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

can I ask why you would like to have the nas attached direclty to your pc?

It would defeat the purpse of it being a nas, which can be accessed from any part of the network.

I don't have upc, but I would presume that you can hardwire a connection from the nas to the upc modem/router, and connect to it from anywhere else on the network.

If you really want to go wired, then the best (maybe not the easiest) would be to wire another connection from the pc to the upc modem/router, and forget about the wireless, unless you have a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

theKramer wrote: »
    my PC. Can I do that with a crossover ethernet cable, or will I have to connect the NAS to the wireless router and transfer files wirelessly (would rather not).

...a cheap and cheerful hub would be better:
    http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=186470

Also watch out for power consumption. You would be amazed how much juice a server class PC can eat up. Use any and all power saving options you can.

I did the same a while ago but used fanless mint-itx parts. Uses about 3W when idle.

Advertisement