Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Institute of Education

• 27-03-2010 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

What's so special about it? Is it true that they're really good at predicting what's coming up? For example, my friend who goes there for Irish says the teacher made a lot of predictions about what she thinks is coming up...he hasnt told me what yet though. :p But I'm wondering whether to take it all with a pinch of salt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The institute is a grinds school, who try to employ the best teachers they could to teach in their school. The grinds are very good but there is a big focus on the LC in there compared to most schools.

Also the institute have been known for predicting papers but it is up to people to decide whether they believe the predictions or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Thanks. :)

My friend says he'll tell me what she said but at the same time I don't wanna take such a big gamble. I was wondering did they have a good record for predicting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I go there at the moment and I've never noticed teachers predicting anything (not anymore than your average teacher would anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    What's so special about it?
    It costs an arm and a leg?

It costs an arm and a leg?

He's a wealthy bastard, why do you think I'm friends with him. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I went there..
    and sometimes they can see patterns as to what comes up.. like in maths.
    But there's no guarantee.

Last year my Irish teacher in the institute had a fair idea of what would come up, so she gave us a long list of what to learn.. sadly not everything came up. It's better to just cover everything really. The school is great in my opinion. Straight to the point learning.. They gave me what I needed. And were very helpful! Good luck!

He's a wealthy bastard, why do you think I'm friends with him. :P
    Well, it could be those blue eyes and blonde curls, for all I know! :P

Well, it could be those blue eyes and blonde curls, for all I know! :P

No that's why he hangs out with me. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks. :)

My friend says he'll tell me what she said but at the same time I don't wanna take such a big gamble. I was wondering did they have a good record for predicting...

Plenty of teachers in regular schools are good at predicting what comes up too. If you sat down for long enough with a set of exam papers going back as far as possible you would see a trend in some questions.

I give predictions to my chemistry class on what will be on the paper every year, purely based on past papers. Normally most of my predictions would come up, it's not rocket science. Some subjects are quite predictable. The teachers in the institute may be good but they are not demi-gods with psychic powers

No that's why he hangs out with me. :D:D

I could make a worse joke based on that, but I try to behave in this forum ... >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

I give predictions to my chemistry class on what will be on the paper every year, purely based on past papers.

Have you got any predictions for this year? I woudnt trust my own predictions at all i think its better hearing them from someone else...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

It's more or less just gambling and rote learning. For Physics that's all it is.
    I do grinds for physics and maths there. As I said, Physics is just gambling and rote learning, but I have a teacher for maths that actually teaches the subject and makes you understand everything rather than just handing out notes and making you read them, however he covers the course very slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I went there for 5th year and its AMAZING.
    There is NO point going unless you do the work but the teachers were fantastic and so dedicated...my old school was crap and there was no comparison between the schools. I left for a LOT of different reasons and the people are so much nicer and there is a huge mix of people. (no bitchiness :-)
    It is LC focused but in 5th year there were sports and clubs and bake sales and stuff too/
    I know the fees are high but in comparison with my old school I didn't have to buy a uniform, or half as many books and I didn't have to pay for compulsary trips and things that I would have had to go on in my old school. Also you don't pay for after school study during the week (which my old school charged an absurd amount for) and on weekends in 6th yr.

6th year may be really different and the classes are apparantly like lectures. Theres no detention and apparantly no one cares if you miss class because they tell you its your LC so do what you want with it. If you want to do well you'll go.

kate.m wrote: »
    I went there for 5th year and its AMAZING.
    There is NO point going unless you do the work but the teachers were fantastic and so dedicated...my old school was crap and there was no comparison between the schools. I left for a LOT of different reasons and the people are so much nicer and there is a huge mix of people. (no bitchiness :-)
    It is LC focused but in 5th year there were sports and clubs and bake sales and stuff too/
    I know the fees are high but in comparison with my old school I didn't have to buy a uniform, or half as many books and I didn't have to pay for compulsary trips and things that I would have had to go on in my old school. Also you don't pay for after school study during the week (which my old school charged an absurd amount for) and on weekends in 6th yr.

6th year may be really different and the classes are apparantly like lectures. Theres no detention and apparantly no one cares if you miss class because they tell you its your LC so do what you want with it. If you want to do well you'll go.
    They introduced detention this year actually. I've had it 7 days out of like 15, though I don't go anymore:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

theowen wrote: »
    They introduced detention this year actually. I've had it 7 days out of like 15, though I don't go anymore:p

Haha so glad I finished last year then!! No detention! Couldn't bare having to sit in study for AGES!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

theowen wrote: »

oh right...didn't know about that :-)
    In 5th yr (like 180 ppl) no HW or lates without notes from guardians were immediate detention etc...I wonder how could they put people on detention in 6th yr when every class is so big!. Thanks for that though!
    (Don't you get in trouble for skipping detention?)

kate.m wrote: »
    oh right...didn't know about that :-)
    In 5th yr (like 180 ppl) no HW or lates without notes from guardians were immediate detention etc...I wonder how could they put people on detention in 6th yr when every class is so big!. Thanks for that though!
    (Don't you get in trouble for skipping detention?)
    They leave a little not beside your name when your signing in:rolleyes:

Not yet. It's not like I'm a delinquent though. I go to the study room instead of detention so I can't see them suspending me for that!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

So I got 475 in my mocks. I need 550 to be home free. I'm thinking of repeating here but I'll be commuting 2 hours in total a day. I go up on Saturdays for the classes I'm just wondering about day classes.. what's the daily hw load like?

wayhey wrote: »
    So I got 475 in my mocks. I need 550 to be home free. I'm thinking of repeating here but I'll be commuting 2 hours in total a day. I go up on Saturdays for the classes I'm just wondering about day classes.. what's the daily hw load like?
    Depends really. I get very little, about an hour a day. Others though, especially the honours maths lads, get a lot more.

Any other Q's?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

Just a quick note for thought, if you feel the institute helped you achieve better than you may have achieved alone, who will help you on your degree course?

• Advertisement

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    Just a quick note for thought, if you feel the institute helped you achieve better than you may have achieved alone, who will help you on your degree course?
    I think if I had the initiative and whatnot which I have now, last year when I did it the first time, I would have done really well. As it is, I needed a little push. Shall be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Saoirse194

I am moving to that school next year. Looking for advice on teachers here is what I was recommended

edit <names removed>
    I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Saoirse194 wrote: »
    I am moving to that school next year. Looking for advice on teachers here is what I was recommended
    edit <names removed>

I'd really appreciate any suggestions!
    edit <names removed> are top class teachers,edit <name removed> is also a really good teacher(he gives a really inspiring speech at the end of the year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

edit <names removed>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please do not name private individuals on threads here.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement