Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Tullyallen

Options
  • 27-03-2010 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Hey all I live in between tullyallen and monasterboice, just wondering does anyone have any tips on ordering broadband here. Eircom is a no-go, the phone line hasnt been upgraded even though one 5 mins walk away works fine, so im stuck with wireless.

I have a 3 datacard, but the speed varies from rubbish to borderline acceptable. I was thinkin of Digiweb or Ice broadband. Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Net1 may be able to help. they have coverage in both these areas but it is on a line of sight basis. Not everyone can get it.

Regards,Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hey all I live in between tullyallen and monasterboice, just wondering does anyone have any tips on ordering broadband here. Eircom is a no-go, the phone line hasnt been upgraded even though one 5 mins walk away works fine, so im stuck with wireless.

I have a 3 datacard, but the speed varies from rubbish to borderline acceptable. I was thinkin of Digiweb or Ice broadband. Any suggestions??

Out of the mobile operators, I would expect three to be the best there. There's a mast at Balgatheran (which would definitely count as between Tullyallen and Monasterboice) along the motorway. Type in LO0015 into the Site ID box on this website: http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp and you'll see the locations of the three mast and have a guess at whether there's a hill in the way or not.

What is the 3rd digit of your phone number? That will tell us what exchange you're on. (Collon or Drogheda). If you ever come across an eircom linesman in the area, tell him of the problem and give him a few quid for his troubles if necessary if he helps. Better still, get in touch with someone you know who works for eircom. If all that is impossible, you could order a new line with broadband on it and get your old number transferred to the new line if it works. The order won't go ahead if broadband is simply impossible. Due to distance issues, 1 mbit will be the max you get. €121 is the cost of install but it does include 2 months of line rental I think.

Digiweb Metro is available if there's no hills between you and the Lourdes Hospital. Otherwise their ordinary FWA service should be available but it has a high enough install fee and it would probably be cheaper to try ordering a new line if Metro isn't available. Speeds don't go higher than 1mbit unless you really splash out. Imagine's wireless broadband may be available but that's a long story. Net1 should also be available, and they have good service and very good speeds at an okay price. Installation times do vary however.

It's a long post I know, so ask away if I've made it too confusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I live about half way between the 3 mast and the R168 sign on your siteviewer. Im on a hill and can see the Lourdes, but i was told about 3 years ago that my house is TOO HIGH and cant get reception.

I dont know if things have improved, but im gonna start calling companies tomorrow and get their engineers out to see if im eligible.

I live about half way between the 3 mast and the R168 sign on your siteviewer. Im on a hill and can see the Lourdes, but i was told about 3 years ago that my house is TOO HIGH and cant get reception.

I dont know if things have improved, but im gonna start calling companies tomorrow and get their engineers out to see if im eligible.

There are houses on Fieldstown hill in Monasterboice which have Digiweb Metro and they're both higher than anywhere in your neck of the woods and closer to the Lourdes Hospital too. I'd be suprised if you were too high up and I know other houses closer to Tullyallen have Digiweb Metro. You'd also have no problem getting Net1 or the slower Digiweb fixed wireless service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Are Net1 part of Irish broadband? Just saw that in another thread. I had awful problems with IBB and im never giving them another penny.

• Advertisement

Nope, though they used to have their internet connections served by Irish Broadband. Anything I've heard about their products in the last 2 years has been positive, except for waiting times for installs.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Have Net1 both at home and at work. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

They have an office in Tullyallen above the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Don't go near digiweb RIPOFF!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Currently living in Tullyallen - 3rd World broadband currently available via Eircom. 1.6mb max. Frequent drops in connection.

The neighbours across the road can get 8mb, I presume they are running off the exchange outside Gleann Alainn..

I'm so fed up with it I am considering moving house because of it. Any change fibre will every reach Tullyallen? This is the only line investment Eircom will make around Drogheda. If it doesnt reach us I think we can give up on ever getting speeds of over 1.6mb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement