Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kamal Ibrahim, Mr Limerick, Mr Ireland, and now MR. WORLD!

Options
  • 27-03-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Kamal Ibrahim, won Mr. World this morning in Korea, fantastic achievement for a local lad, very deserving too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Kamal Ibrahim, traditional limerick name alright :rolleyes:

Nigerian father and Italian mother sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

your point is? Born and raised in Limerick, as local as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

nice to see it happening, seanie bullman, and another guy jimmy butler tried for years, the old begrudgery is still alive i see, if posters bedgrudge success in this city how can it grow out of its shell.

zuroph wrote: »
    your point is? Born and raised in Limerick, as local as they come.
    I know, I'm only joking I actually know him. Well done Kamal!

flutered wrote: »
    nice to see it happening, seanie bullman, and another guy whos name escapes me but his first name is jimmy tried for years, the old begrudgery is still alive i see, if posters bedgrudge success in this city how can it grow out of its shell.
    I'd say you're thinking of the other Mr world competition, this aint the bodybuilding one, this is the "looking good and being sound" one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

this is the "looking good and being sound" one

I laughed at that^^^^anyway well done Mr Kamal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

well done to him..
    i think i remember reading the paper a few weeks ago that he very nearly didn't get to go cause he had no one to sponsor his flights and then a pub sponsored his flights in the end...

Original Sponsor didnt book his flights, left him high and dry, so old quarter stepped in and paid for his flights.

Original Sponsor didnt book his flights, left him high and dry, so old quarter stepped in and paid for his flights.
    Who was the original sponsor?

Prob wouldnt be smart of me to say his name online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Jimmy Butler?

Is he ex-Docs?

- Shocked he didn't walk it any year he entered.......

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

WELL DONE Mr. Ibrahim;a positive story emerging from Limerick is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »
    Jimmy Butler?

Is he ex-Docs?

- Shocked he didn't walk it any year he entered.......

Yep that Jimmy. Little man who was as broad as he was tall. :D

But when you consider that guys the size of Lou Ferringo or a young Arnold Schwarzenegger competed in the Mr Olympia/Mr Universe contests, then it is not really a surprise that Jimmy did not get far.

On topic, fair play to Kamal for winning Mr World (The male version of the Ms World beauty Pagent, before it gets mixed up with bodybuilding again :)). His win should should bring some good publicity to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Prob wouldnt be smart of me to say his name online.

Haha no surprises he left him high and dry though is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Jigga wrote: »
    Kamal Ibrahim, traditional limerick name alright :rolleyes:

Nigerian father and Italian mother sure!
    I think he lives in Shannon now. CO CLARE.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Fair play to him, sound lad actually was in the same course as him in LIT.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Aren't the ladies of Limerick lucky indeed. Not only do we have Mr World in the city, but such rich pickings have we that even Mr World isn't sexy enough to feature as one of Limerick's 50 sexiest men.

A few reminders, just in case you've forgotten, prepare yourself ladies;

Number 9
    TH1_5820098jerry%20relihan.JPG

Number 7
    TH1_58200938judge%20tom%20o%27donnell.JPG

Number 4
    TH1_58200922emmett%20o%27brien.JPG

http://www.limerickleader.ie/city-life/Limerick39s-Sexiest-Man-revealed.5521773.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    I think he lives in Shannon now. CO CLARE.:cool:

think so too! didnt he have use of some sponsored car last year?
    pretty sure he lived across the road...

He had a sponsored Fiat as part of his Mr Ireland package which was also taken off him before the year was out! lol, lots of people sickened today gladly.

goes to show how stupid that top 50 list was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

sure there is no accounting for taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Up Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Just heard him on the Radio with Gerry Ryan after getting off a flight.

He is adamant he was born and grew up in Limerick City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Berty wrote: »

He was born and grew up in limerick. I know him well, and he is Limerick through and through.

Didn't his parents live around the Thomondgate area when he was born? Pretty sure it was the Limerick Maternity Hospital in which he was born as well.

The lad is originally from Limerick, and if he wants to point that out to people, then fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

He's more Limerick than Andy Lee ;)

Roadend wrote: »

Hard for him not to be seeing as Andy was born in London :p

Still, Andy has been a great ambassador for Limerick. Regardless of where he fights, he always makes sure to mention Limerick before and after the fight. Lovely fella who is a credit to his family and sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Kess73 wrote: »
    Didn't his parents live around the Thomondgate area when he was born? Pretty sure it was the Limerick Maternity Hospital in which he was born as well.

The lad is originally from Limerick, and if he wants to point that out to people, then fair play to him.

I never knew his parents.

I wasn't there when he was born either.

I was simply pointing out what he said on the radio as somebody above had suggested he was from Shannon.

I never knew his parents.

I wasn't there when he was born either.

I was simply pointing out what he said on the radio as somebody above had suggested he was from Shannon.

Chill Berty, I mixed you up with the poster that said they knew him when I hit quote, which is why the Thomondgate bit was a question, and not a statement of fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Roadend wrote: »

If he seriously wants to pass as a Limerick Man he needs to change his name to 'Macca'

For the record - I was not there when he was born and I don't know either of his Parents.

- Does he still write 'articles' impartially plugging Limerick Business's in the free advertising rags newspapers?

When I first arrived at <INSERT NAME> I was so impressed, the carpets were sheer heaven and and I just knew I needed to eat all of the food from their reasonably priced menu to enjoy their great service and value, I plan on eating here twice a day until I grow old and die......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Raiser wrote: »
    If he seriously wants to pass as a Limerick Man he needs to change his name to 'Macca'

For the record - I was not there when he was born and I don't know either of his Parents.

- Does he still write 'articles' impartially plugging Limerick Business's in the free advertising rags newspapers?

When I first arrived at <INSERT NAME> I was so impressed, the carpets were sheer heaven and and I just knew I needed to eat all of the food from their reasonably priced menu to enjoy their great service and value, I plan on eating here twice a day until I grow old and die......

Fantastic summary of that column, its in the independent. I read it once and was left thinking exactly as you have put it, it is basically an advertising column.

Advertisement