Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer project, repairing an economic write off

• 27-03-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Just being curious here, i'd love to buy myself a damaged bike, in rough condition, but salvageable, then do it up over the summer and sell it on. I'm really just trying to learn the ins and outs of a bike, and what better way than to strip one and rebuild it. But money is tight, so let's say i bought an NSR 125 in rough shape, new tyres, new chain, new sprocket, new engine, but the frame was good, can i legally rebuild it and sell it on?
    I'm willing to make a loss on this, it's sort of an investment, but i'd see a loss off 25% as learning expenses. Anyone wanna share their thoughts/ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

might pick up something meself. Gimme something to do I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I've an 03 Royal Enfield that I have been meaning to do up/repair for the past couple of years.

Ideal summer project if someone wanted the job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Xios wrote: »
    Just being curious here, i'd love to buy myself a damaged bike, in rough condition, but salvageable, then do it up over the summer and sell it on. I'm really just trying to learn the ins and outs of a bike, and what better way than to strip one and rebuild it. But money is tight, so let's say i bought an NSR 125 in rough shape, new tyres, new chain, new sprocket, new engine, but the frame was good, can i legally rebuild it and sell it on?
    I'm willing to make a loss on this, it's sort of an investment, but i'd see a loss off 25% as learning expenses. Anyone wanna share their thoughts/ideas?
    source a bike with a blown engine and an engine
    then it'll cause sfa

i reccomend a single cylinder and probably a scrambler cos they are handier to work n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭philgunn

do you have a price on it or pictures
    I might be intrested

philgunn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Crazy Taxi

nereid wrote: »
    I've an 03 Royal Enfield that I have been meaning to do up/repair for the past couple of years.

I presume thats 1903?:D

• Advertisement

Crazy Taxi wrote: »
    I presume thats 1903?:D

worse, 2003 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

worse, 2003 :o

Is that the one built in India?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

All the Enfields are Indian made, they bought the tooling from the Uk aeons ago.
    Pretty crude machines though, I wouldn't be too keen on one myself.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    All the Enfields are Indian made, they bought the tooling from the Uk aeons ago.
    Pretty crude machines though, I wouldn't be too keen on one myself.

It is indian, and I would agree with the crude statement.

However, it is single cylinder, single spark, single carb, kick start. A bit of 12v electrics here and there and it is the "newer" 5 speed. It is about as raw a bike as you can get, and agreed, while it may not be to everyone's taste, it is a joy to ride (when it's running) and it is the only bike that I was quite happy to potter about on on icy roads.

It is also one of the only bikes that one can take apart, fix, and put back together at the side of the road :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A friend of mine is just back from India, he bought one over there and rode it around for 6000km, in that time he had to have it rebuilt twice by the local mechanics and it wasn't ever right.
    Fair enough it might be simple but a single cylinder japanese trail bike would be just as easy to work on and infinitely more reliable once fixed.
    Think XL/XT/DR 200-350, some of the older DR and XT/TT Yamahas are very affordable and fixable.
    Parts are still available and they are just as tractable as the Enfield without the chronic underpowered feel and woeful handling.
    I testrode a supercharged Hatz Diesel version a few years back and while extremely economical I wouldn't want to ride it to work every day.
    But hey whatever floats your boat.
    They do look cool in classic black and gold trim and have that old stylee british single sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Shiny Cactus

How much are you looking for the enfield?
    I looking for a project myself:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Wish I had a garage to do this sort of thing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Wish I had a garage to do this sort of thing :(

going building one meself with the brother but with this recession theres no ware to get a few blocks lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bullet350

PM me if you've still got that. I'm interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Im interested as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Bullet350 wrote: »
    PM me if you've still got that. I'm interested.
    skelliser wrote: »
    Im interested as well

Jebus, it's like Dublin Bus here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...seeing as we're on the subject, I have a project, and I've decided NOT to finish it........was for the SO, but she's decided.........it'll ruin her hair/nails/whatever.....:rolleyes:

Complete, was running, so it's not actually broken, but is does need tlc......pity, really, but I've so much (other) broken stuff there's a cloud over my head.......:(

I have given first dibs to a young fella down the road, but only 'til the week-end, then it's open season.

Form an orderly queue, and start your brown envelopes now .....:)

Oh, and the bike is a 1977 Yamaha DT175 Enduro, 1G1 series. UK plates, previously cleared, but not re-reg'd.

Should look like this, but, er, doesn't, quite......

yam175_L.gif

A quick google turned up this link, btw: http://www.aircooledrdclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13325&PN=3

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Sent you a PM, Galwaytt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Helped my uncle get his one running just today. What an effng bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i have started to see a few more of them around aswell espicaly mint ones with the gold wheel rims ,,i could never afford one back in the day and i probalty couldnt afford one today either in mint condition lol

• Advertisement

Anyone else have any old bikes they would like to get rid off?
    got no reply from the lads above :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ive a couple

pm me for details

Advertisement