Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hotels.com

Options
  • 27-03-2010 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    This is more of an FYI for those considering using hotels.com in future..

My sister recently booked 2 double rooms (to be specific, with one double bed in each) in the Marriott in Liverpool (the weekend of a Liverpool match so the rooms were far from cheap)

After having checked in at the hotel, they were given two TWIN rooms even though what they actually booked on hotels.com were quality rooms consisting of 'one double bed only'

Quality Room

* Accommodates 2 guests
    * Breakfast not included
    * Available bed types:
    o Double Bed only

The hotel reception advised my sister that the double beds were subject to availability, and that the twin rooms were all they had left.

So I called hotels.com to discuss the matter. I explained the situation, afterwhich they put me on hold , and called the hotel to discuss. The hotel manager explained to the hotels.com rep, that the double room was subject to availability, so it seems that the cause of the issue remains with hotels.com There is no mention of subject to availability on the hotels.com web site and the credit card was debited for the rooms instantly.

The hotels.com rep apologised but wasnt really saying much more... I asked for a voucher that we could use on a booking going forward... He put me on a hold to speak to his supervisor. He came back saying he could offer one voucher of 10 USD which would work out in euro as ... and he began working it out ... I cut in and said, did you see how much the rooms cost?? He said he did.. I said he can keep the voucher, but thanks for trying...

A measily 10 USD voucher from a booking worth 600 euro!

I suppose there is little more we can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Tiesto wrote: »
    There is no mention of subject to availability on the hotels.com web site and the credit card was debited for the rooms instantly.

I've booked quite a few times (maybe 10 times) on hotels.com and there has always been a disclaimer beside the room selection to say 'subject to availability, cannot be guaranteed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Used hotels.com before too and never had an issue. Mind you, there is a reason why they are cheaper than booking directly through the actual hotel website.

They do cover themselves in their Terms and Conditions, and a $10 is better than nothing.

At least you had a room to stay in. Just push the double beds together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Paulw wrote: »
    Used hotels.com before too and never had an issue. Mind you, there is a reason why they are cheaper than booking directly through the actual hotel website.

They do cover themselves in their Terms and Conditions, and a $10 is better than nothing.

At least you had a room to stay in. Just push the double beds together.

Could you point me to the piece in the T&C's whch you are referring to that you say covers them? I had a look quick look through it and couldnt find anything.

I've booked quite a few times (maybe 10 times) on hotels.com and there has always been a disclaimer beside the room selection to say 'subject to availability, cannot be guaranteed'.

Armani, would you mind also advising where about I can find the disclaimer?
    I thought this maybe the case, but I went on to the site again looking to book a room seeing if i could find a disclaimer, but there was no mention at all of 'subject to availability'.. maybe im blind but i've looked quite hard...

thanks...

woops no need.. I just found it..
    It's when your filling in the room preferences..
    I took a screenshot just so people can see this.. I dont however know how to attach it to the thread, so it can be downloaded here :
    http://rapidshare.com/files/369177166/Screenshot.jpg.html

Dont know how I didnt seen this before but hopefully this thread will enlighten those who were in my sisters position and werent aware of this condition, including myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Glad you got in clarified anyway.

Just for future reference the earlier you turn up in a hotel (vis a vis the usual 3PM checkin time) then the better your chances of getting the requested room.
    This was brought home to me starkly last June when I booked 2 twin rooms in a hotel in Amsterdam on hotels.com.

Two friendgirls got the lunchtime flight and got a huge 5th floor studio with a balcony. Me and my mate got the 5PM Aer Lingus flight. With the 1 hour time gap and a compulsory sojourn to a coffeeshop before getting to the hotel at 10PM and we were first offered a double room. When we refused that we were offered a triple room which sounded great until we found it was 2 flights below ground level, about 4 foot wide, beside the kitchens and laundry, unventilated.
    Nothing else was available so we had to take it, but the disparity in the two rooms (which cost identical) hammered home how hit and miss the process can be.

Just for future reference the earlier you turn up in a hotel (vis a vis the usual 3PM checkin time) then the better your chances of getting the requested room.

yeah I actually thought that earlier after realising my error. Will keep it in mind going forward, cheers.

Advertisement