Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saving the Church in Ireland

• 27-03-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

The Vatican thinks in centuries.

In 2012 the Eucharistic congress is scheduled for Ireland.

Ratzinger is fast becoming a liability.

Is it possible that at 83 the loss of influence built up over centuries and the strain will see him descend into terminal ill health?

Endangering as he is an income flow of billions and atop one of the most powerful global institutions on Earth will they just slip him a pill or put a Prada pillow over his face?

If he does die in the meantime will a new pope renew the Catholic Church Limited in Ireland and beyond?

This virus has not lasted this long without being adaptable. The most important thing to the Church is the Church not anyone in it.

If there is a new, shiny, hand picked, stain free, Pope will he serve to hold Rome’s position in Ireland?

New Pope comes on a visit, our politicians slaver over him, he makes the usual "that was then, this is now" type of speech and hey presto; business almost as usual!

The Church goes from 98% of the schools to 87%, keeps its grip on teacher training, it's tax free status, it's diplomatic immunity and a whole new generation are trained from age 5 upwards to appreciate the power of "holy renewal".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

*speculates wildly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

CT this way >>>>, tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

CT this way >>>>, tbh
    it's not even his , it's cross posted

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Arcus Arrow

It is always the most naive and innocent who think the world is just exactly as it appears on the news. It's gullible in the extreme to think in the 21st century that men don't kill men when enormous power and billions of dollars are at stake.

George Bush and Co were really only spreading freedom and democracy in Iraq. We know this because that's what he said on the news. There was nothing else to it.

The same people who shout conspiracy theory are the same naive types who sniggered when some lone parent tried to tell them their parish priest or bishop was not quite the shining holy man they believed. Some nut claims the president is really an alien from Jupiter and the insecure seize on such outlandishness to blanket dismiss anything too uncomfortable to contemplate lest it dent their security blanket. You see the same reaction from believing Catholics when you tell them the bible is not really a book and it wasn't written by a god thing.

I'll give anyone odds of 5 to 1 he'll be dead before 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Endangering as he is an income flow of billions and atop one of the most powerful global institutions on Earth will they just slip him a pill or put a Prada pillow over his face?

6638.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I'll give anyone odds of 5 to 1 he'll be dead before 2012.

Sure the worlds going to end then anyway, so what does it matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is a bad thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh hey I thought I was a moderator there because of the bold, I should post like this all the time and people will assume I have powers of some sort.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Zillah wrote: »
    Oh hey I thought I was a moderator there because of the bold, I should post like this all the time and people will assume I have powers of some sort.
    I wouldn't advise it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

fitz0 wrote: »
    Sure the worlds going to end then anyway, so what does it matter?

So a very religious friend of mine tells me.

One way or the other Ratzinger will be gone by 2012. There is mounting dirt on him and he's doing untold harm to the organisation. Ordinary a la carte Catholics have a false image of the Vatican. When the scandal reaches the CEO it’s like throwing paint stripper on the image of the Church.

They're too arrogant to be seen to be forced to retire him by the heretic forces of secularism. The entire basis of the Roman Catholic Church is that they tell everybody else what to do not the other way around.

One way or the other he'll have to be gone by 2012. Ireland is the epicentre of the crime scene. They have political support here that they don't have to the same extent in other English speaking countries. That would make it logical to use the Eucharistic Congress with a new CEO for a repair job.

Just recently, thanks to one Catholic businessman, they were the benefit of a half a billion euro trust. He's repaying God (?) by donating a fortune to the Catholic Church Limited. A good number of the property developers being bailed out by NAMA have donated hundreds of thousands to repair a church in Rome in return for a few "holy" medals. The CCL still has the high ground and a lot to lose. Ratz is rockin’ the boat. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

A friend of a friend of mine who knows someone who once read a Dan Brown book told me Dan Brown has a lot to answer for.

Reading books for oneself is usually more informative that getting the information second hand...

Paddy Power have cut the odds on the Pope retiring from 12/1 to 3/1
    http://www.online-betting-guide.co.uk//news/18226315/Next+Pope+Betting+Odds+Make+Francis+Arinze+Favourite+As+Pope+Benedict+XVI+Is+Expected+To+Resign.html

Boyle Sports said they'd give me odds on him retiring but not on him dying by 2012......"because that would'nt be right":rolleyes:

A friend of a friend of mine who knows someone who once read a Dan Brown book told me Dan Brown has a lot to answer for.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/vatican-gets-huge-donations-from.html
    Fellow donors included former Anglo Irish bank chairman Sean FitzPatrick and the controversial former boss of Irish Nationwide Michael Fingleton. Other donors included Digicel owner Denis O’Brien and William Bollinger, the Irish co-founder of the €3bn Egerton Capital Hedge Fund.

The donors were given special medallions after a private mass in the Pauline chapel, celebrated by Cardinal Lajolo last July. Solid gold ‘Michelangelo'’ medallions were given to donors who had given more than $1m, with silver ‘Raphael’ medallions for donors of $500,000 plus. ‘Bramante’ medals were presented to donors of $250,000 or more. A marble plaque listing the names of all 26 donors, including the Irish builders and bankers, was unveiled in the chapel.

Catholic tycoon donates half of wealth to church
    Twelve years ago Albert Gubay told RTE he was doing a "50-50 deal with God" to give away his €300m fortune to the Catholic Church.
    Now, at the age of 82, he has done even more, giving almost his entire (€530m) estate to a new charitable foundation, keeping less than €10m to see out his old age.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/....ch-2106666.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Boyle Sports said they'd give me odds on him retiring but not on him dying by 2012......"because that would'nt be right":rolleyes:

To be fair, giving odds on him being dead by 2012 would be a bit unethical, since you could assassinate him yourself and pocket the winnings!

Either way he won't retire, he'll be there 'til he dies. Why? Because that's the way it's always been, and the Catholic Church don't do change. They resist change like it was some deadly virus. So expect Papa Ratzinger to be in situ until God decides to promote him to the heaven board of management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Who cares! If he goes then what are the options. Surely to get high up in a top down structured organisation that has been guilty of wrongdoing and systematically covering it up would mean youre probably going to be in on it at some level. Were not dealing with saints here (see what I did there).

Except Cardinal Daly, hes class!

aidan24326 wrote: »
    To be fair, giving odds on him being dead by 2012 would be a bit unethical, since you could assassinate him yourself and pocket the winnings!

Either way he won't retire, he'll be there 'til he dies. Why? Because that's the way it's always been, and the Catholic Church don't do change. They resist change like it was some deadly virus. So expect Papa Ratzinger to be in situ until God decides to promote him to the heaven board of management.

Actually I think you’re quite correct about him not resigning. I don't think a lot of people understand the nature of the Papacy. The last thing they will do is respond to calls from heretics of the much hated secular world. Covering up the rape and torture is children is doing gods work in their twisted minds.

He's 84 soon. This must be an enormous strain on his health for one thing. In his speech last Sunday he looked very old, creepy and decrepit.....actually he's looked like that since he became pope.

Will the Pope resign by David Gibson (a convert to Catholicism)
    http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/03/27/will-the-pope-resign-it-wouldnt-be-easy-and-may-not-be-possib/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I hope the church atrophies and loses most of , if not all the influence it has in this country. I hope there is only another 25 years of practicing Catholics, give or take. What with the fall in people (excuse me, men, not those women things, sure their only baby factories for making more credulous Catholic sheep) becoming priests, hopefully ther will be churches boarded up like country pubs.

But, this is not going to happen, as the poster above says, the vatican resists change like a virus, they're going to play the war of attrition on this one, Ratz might die of natural causes but whoever they replace him with will be either deeply conservative or a figurehead, or a bit of both.

But, this is not going to happen, as the poster above says, the Vatican resists change like a virus, they're going to play the war of attrition on this one, Ratz might die of natural causes but whoever they replace him with will be either deeply conservative or a figurehead, or a bit of both.

It's the nature of the virus and the strength of the indoctrination. Last Sunday in Rome the crowds were out to greet him. The layers of power and money this organisation has are unfathomable and global. They've also held onto the means of production; the schools. What logic can you hope ordinary mortals to employ when people like Blair convert? The effect on the human mind is such that people will privately disagree with the directives from Rome (like contraception) but remain faithful to the Church. Despite all the revelations, how many prominent people in Ireland have really spoken out against the Church? Sinead O'Connor and who else? Sir Bono and Sir Bob Geldof are not interested apparently.

There are more and more nests of child rape to be uncovered. What are the chances a letter with Ratzingers signature on it will finally come to light?

Ratzinger won't retire so the only way out is a coffin.

A new shiny Pope would give the flock the excuse to go on believing.

Then they can start preaching about "renewal", "gods grace" “forgiveness” and blame the problem on Vatican II. They'll say the Church had become too liberal, not enough central control, lets go back to tradition...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

And after that, there'll be Vatican III, and blasphemers like myself will be handed over to the inquisition, I suppose. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

Despite all the revelations, how many prominent people in Ireland have really spoken out against the Church? Sinead O'Connor and who else? Sir Bono and Sir Bob Geldof are not interested apparently.

I don'n know Sinéad much but I think she'd say that she has spoken for the Church - and it is the Vatican that speaks against it really. I think she is not against the church - she just wants it back from these people with funny gold-hats.

And I apologize to Sinéad if I have misinterpreted her intentios.

What it comes to Bono - he probably called directly to God. Never underestimate what Bono can do. :D

• Advertisement

Blueboyd wrote: »
    I don'n know Sinéad much but I think she'd say that she has spoken for the Church - and it is the Vatican that speaks against it really. I think she is not against the church - she just wants it back from these people with funny gold-hats.

And I apologize to Sinéad if I have misinterpreted her intentios.

What it comes to Bono - he probably called directly to God. Never underestimate what Bono can do. :D

She spoke very well on the CNN interview. I think one religious person speaking out in strong language against the crimes of the Vatican is worth a thousand atheists.

As soon as people hear "atheist" they tune out.

It's a whole different kettle of fish when someone like ArchBish Martin says every diocese should be investigated or that the church should give up half its schools. When the same thing comes from an atheist organistaion it's just another pesky minority trying to shove their opinion down every one elses throats.

Whatever anyone thinks of the peace deal in the North I thing Paisley was more easily convinced by two people he considered religious. It's quite likely that if two avowedly atheist Prime Ministers had tried to do a deal with him he's have pulled his jumper over his head.
    The cure is always close to the problem.
    It’s Evolution.

Advertisement