Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front door locking question.

• 27-03-2010 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hello ,
    Have someone I know who wants to change the way their front door works.
    Basically ,they have to lift the handle to engage bolts at top and bottom of door ,before they can lock the door.

The door is always open on both sides ,unless this is done.

Is there anyway that an autolock feature could be installed on a door like this ? So that a key is needed to open it from the front.
    It's a timber finished door ,which seems to be hollow inside and I think the locks have abb written on them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Carpenter09

hi
    you should be able to fit a yale nite latch to the front door.this will add extra security to the door.and you will always need a key to open the door on the outside and ther's a latch on the inside to open it.the lock thats on the door will still be use.the lock costs around 30 euro and 30 min to fit it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

hi
    you should be able to fit a yale nite latch to the front door.this will add extra security to the door.and you will always need a key to open the door on the outside and ther's a latch on the inside to open it.the lock thats on the door will still be use.the lock costs around 30 euro and 30 min to fit it

I don't think anything standard will fit ,there is metal along the edges of the door and running through the face of the door.
    It's got a wooden finish ,but is actually hollow with a pvc type locking mechanism running the full height of the door (I think).

I'm hoping something can be done with it ,before I wasted locksmiths time getting them out to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

this might do as you dont need key inside but once locked you need key to gain entry,10 mins to fit,available in hardware shops but cant find any online here.http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/profile-cylinders/europrofile-cylinder-turn-72-mm.html

Thanks for the replies ,that looks like whats in the door already.
    The problem is the door is been left open in the mornings ,the people want the door to "autolock" when leaving.

maybe a magnetic door lock.quite expensive and you have to fit access controller outside http://www.thelocksmith.ie/pages/commercial/magneticlocks.html
    cheapest option to fit standard key lock .it should be possible.any chance pic of door

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    maybe a magnetic door lock.quite expensive and you have to fit access controller outside http://www.thelocksmith.ie/pages/commercial/magneticlocks.html
    cheapest option to fit standard key lock .it should be possible.any chance pic of door

Thanks for the links ,I will get some photos tomorrow and upload them.

The only option that I was thinking of is ,somehow disengaging the outside handle from the door so it only works with the key.
    I'm no locksmith ,so it's probably not possible.

just be careful disengaging security locks,your insurance company might not be too happy.add more security if possible

Cheers meercat ,I won't be going near it ,it will be done by a locksmith.
    I didn't want to be wasting a locksmiths time with something thats impossible.

At least if I have some knowledge about it ,I might be able to get a good job done on it.

Thanks for your help:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

the lock and the locking bar all come in one unit, they cost about €50 upwards,
    What you want is the latch to engage but not connected to the outer handle.Therefore the key can only open the door .

This is just for leaving the house for a short period. When you pull up the handle and turn the key the door locks in about five positions making it alot more secure.

A locksmith may either replace the whole unit or may be able to modify the lock itself ,depends on the make of door/lock

Advertisement