Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing the leaving cert

Options
  • 27-03-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

If you fail pass maths is it true you fail your leaving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

What about if you fail higher level? Or irish/english for that matter?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When people speak of Leaving Certificate 'standard', they generally mean 5 passes at at least Ordinary Level (or a pass grade in the LCA), unless they specify otherwise.

In the past, if you failed Irish, you were deemed to have failed the whole exam, that is not the case now.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

They should really get rid of the need to pass maths at HL level if you passed it for the junior cert. A lot of people just drop to pass because of the fear of failing which is preventing people from reaching their full potential

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've never heard of anything like that. Did you see it written in a Department or SEC publication, or did a teacher say it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

If I wanted to do this http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15 and got the points but failed french would i get in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Liveit wrote: »
    They should really get rid of the need to pass maths at HL level if you passed it for the junior cert. A lot of people just drop to pass because of the fear of failing which is preventing people from reaching their full potential

But if that was the case anyone could sign up for HL maths, fail it and have no problem getting into college because their mathematical ability wasn't taken into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

TBH anyone wh fails Ordinary Maths should not be aloud integrate with normal society...

domrush wrote: »
    If I wanted to do this http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15 and got the points but failed french would i get in?

Well obviously not if you need French???

Reillyman wrote: »
    TBH anyone wh fails Ordinary Maths should not be aloud integrate with normal society...
    Or Ordinary English?
    There's no need for nonsense comments like that

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

At least a D3 in ordinary level maths is the minimum requirement for most third level courses either in universities or ITs so if you failed maths you wouldn't receive any CAO offers regardless of grades/points obtained in other subjects as you wouldn't have satisified the minimum requirements. Thats probably why to fail maths was considered as failing the LC.

Universities minimum requirements used to be ordinary level passes (D3) in 5 subjects to include Maths, english and Irish and a foreign language while ITs required 5 passes to include a pass in maths and english or Irish, so failing Irish would still mean you could get into an IT as long as you passed English and maths. This may have changed in the last few years though. Don't know if foundation maths is still around but it didn't satisfy the maths requirements for most third level courses, except for PLCs and for entering the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Well obviously not if you need French???
    well it doesn't say i need French so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

At least a D3 in ordinary level maths is the minimum requirement for most third level courses either in universities or ITs so if you failed maths you wouldn't receive any CAO offers regardless of grades/points obtained in other subjects as you wouldn't have satisified the minimum requirements. Thats probably why to fail maths was considered as failing the LC.

Universities minimum requirements used to be ordinary level passes (D3) in 5 subjects to include Maths, english and Irish and a foreign language while ITs required 5 passes to include a pass in maths and english or Irish, so failing Irish would still mean you could get into an IT as long as you passed English and maths. This may have changed in the last few years though. Don't know if foundation maths is still around but it didn't satisfy the maths requirements for most third level courses, except for PLCs and for entering the guards.

Yes it has. There are courses in UCD, UCC etc etc that you do not need to pass leaving cert maths to enter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

Which is exactly what i did for the pres....Einstein was always crap at school and so is the junior & leaving cert maths curriciculum, who's to say that??

Ironically in 4th class i was the only one who knew how to multiply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

What an incredibly stupid comment. You might want to learn how to spell before you criticise anyone.

Hahaha, god folks chill out!

I guess I've been away too long for all of ye to remember my sarcastic wit? Or my fondness for general mayhem? Haha, ye take the bait way too easily:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hahaha, god folks chill out!

I guess I've been away too long for all of ye to remember my sarcastic wit? Or my fondness for general mayhem? Haha, ye take the bait way too easily:cool:
    You were caught out. Get over it.
    I do think that if you feel like you might fail ordinary level maths to work a lot harder at it. Even if you get a D3 you cal leave the subject off of the 6 best subjects.

You were caught out. Get over it.

Haha, do you mean that I wasn't joking until I was "caught out"?

Yeah I suppose your right, I actually seriously do believe that people who fail a maths test should be banished from all dominions...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

Yeah I suppose your right, I actually seriously do believe that people who fail a maths test should be banished from all dominions...:rolleyes:

Alright i give in, though it was the way you commented; it gave a really negative impression, like i mean you could have included a :rolleyes: or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

You can fail your LC...

You need to fail 5 exams or something?

• Advertisement

HxGH wrote: »
    You can fail your LC...

You need to fail 5 exams or something?

If you do not get at least 5 OL passes in the Established LC, you are not considered to have LC 'pass' standard. Nothing to do with how many you fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JESCANDYMAN

any tips for french orals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

spurious wrote: »
    If you do not get at least 5 OL passes in the Established LC, you are not considered to have LC 'pass' standard. Nothing to do with how many you fail.

Thank you (Now to correct my English teacher! MWhuhahahahaha!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement