Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new home for a guine pig

Options
  • 27-03-2010 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hey, I recently adopted a guine pig, she is so cute and loves cuddles. However i also have a chawowa who is obsessed with it, she has the poor guine pig terrorised. so unfortunitly i am hoping someone out there might be able to rehome her for me. she is white and brown and is very fond of oranges, apples and grapes. she is also very tame, and loves to be held. i am enclosing a pic of her and my dog stalking her. i am in the louth area if u feel you can help. just mail me here. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

An option would be to put the guinea in a room the pooch can't get at.
    There's also cages you can get that are off the floor zooplus.co.uk do the ones with castors on, you could close off the bottom area so the pig can wander around the top parts and the dog wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the pig.

For now while you're waiting, don't allow the dog anywhere near the pig, just close over the door because the poor thing could get really stressed or worse.

(Oranges, apples and grapes are fine but all only now and then esp. apples as they can cause mouth ulcers if fed too much) veggies are better and fruits as treats.

If you do rehome her just ensure she is female, perhaps to a home with a lonley female guinea looking for company.

Edited to add. just saw the pic she is gorgeous. Another option is to get a cheap table from argos like a cheap coffee table and put the cage on top it will also make cleaning out easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

We do have a rehoming thread in Animal Welfare but I'll leave this here for the moment so you can discuss if it's possible to keep the lil wee thing. Guineapig rescue is good for advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noels little bu

hey guys, thanks for that, i dont want to get rid of her, hubby said he will make her a little run in the garden for when the good weather comes, but i was afraid of my dogs annoying her, although i have to say she hasnt passed any remarks of them so far..thanks for the advice about the apples, i didnt no that, i just looked up a site and fed it what they said they liked..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

It sounds like a good idea to put her cage on a table. My friend with indoor guinea pigs said they prefer their cages on tables anyway because they can see people better (they can't see very far) and are not looking at ankles all day. :)

There is a chance that the dog will get used to her and she'll get used to it. One of my dogs (a Cavalier) is obsessed with the guinea pigs. We had two guinea pigs and a rabbit for years and at first she would just run around their run constantly. I'm not sure if she wanted to eat them or just loved them! (Didn't take the chance to find out!) But once they got used to her and weren't scared anymore, then she lost interest. Now we have new guinea pigs and rabbits. She was obsessed with them at first, but now they aren't scared, so she has lost interest. Crazy dog . . .

I hope that something can be worked out and you can keep her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's good you're going to hold on to her, if she is female might be an idea to get her a female buddy or neutered male buddy guinea pigs ideally should be kept in pairs as they are very sociable and can become lonley.

A larger cardboard box taking up half the cage with a wee hole cut out will help in the mean time, gives her more space to hide in and will make her feel more secure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement