Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will history judge Gerry Adams?

Options
  • 27-03-2010 7:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Well what do you think? Did Gerry Adams play a significant role in Irish history? How will history judge him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

I would think badly, he could have saved lives but did nothing and it looks like he knew about his brother not being a great father and did nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭harvardgal2

Winty wrote: »
    I would think badly, he could have saved lives but did nothing and it looks like he knew about his brother not being a great father and did nothing[/QUOTE

How is personal family matters anything to do with his involvement in Irish History? Many people in this country did nothing in similar circumstances.

He has contributed both negatively and positively to Irish History so it's difficult to know how he will be judged. The thing is future generations will have access to a lot more information about people such as Adams than we do about figures such as Parnell, Collins, Devalera etc so judgements will probably be harsher and more accurate. Then again, there is no accounting for romanticising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

How will history judge Gerry Adams?

History is never just the good parts.

It was said that you could not throw a stone in Ireland without hitting a bastatrd son of Daniel O'Connell. So History has a way of remembering.

'King Dan: The Rise of Daniel O'Connell, 1775-1829' is published by Gill and Macmillan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I don't think it would a surprise to anyone if I said that the guy makes my blood boil, but I think credit should go to him for bringing an organisation that was 100% committed to an armed struggle, to the negotiating table.

I think he will be remembered as a man of his time, who united his party and successfully steered his party into mainstream politics. I don't think he will be remembered in the way Pearse or Collins were, but I think in years to come history will be fairly kind to him.

the BBC have a very good profile of him. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/northern_ireland_politics/8522013.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

paky wrote: »
    Well what do you think? Did Gerry Adams play a significant role in Irish history? How will history judge him?

who is gerry adams? barely heard anything about the guy since the 90s. his time has past.
    check out his late late show appearance from around 1994 when he was at his best when he made fools of Greybo and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Fuinseog wrote: »
    who is gerry adams? barely heard anything about the guy since the 90s. his time has past.
    check out his late late show appearance from around 1994 when he was at his best when he made fools of Greybo and friends.

I think Gerry still plays a large part in his partys operations but he seems to be happy to leave the frontline work and media to Martin McGuinness. I've no doubt the guy is still hugely instrumental in NI politics.

Advertisement