Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows Media Center

• 27-03-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone help me out here.
    I can set up WMC fine when I plug my xbox directly into my PC. It goes through all the steps of adding an extender etc, and I can then stream media to it without issue. However, once I plug my xbox back into the router, I can't connect to it again. Anyone know what the problem might be? I have a feeling its a router setting thats stopping the 2 of them from connecting to one another. I have tried turning off all firewalls (on both the router and my PC), enabled uPnP and Multicasting and so far, nada.
    If it makes any difference, I'm connected wirelessly to the router, and the xbox is connected to the router with a cable. (Its a cisco router btw - I'm on UPC)

Anyone out there manage to get this set up using this type of config?

One other thing - its Windows 7 I'm running

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Forget using WMC for streaming movies. It's not very good. Download TVersity, it's much easier to set up, runs faster and also transcodes any file formats that the 360 doesn't support.

Plus it's free!!!

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

I've installed it, but same thing. The xbox can't find my PC.
    I don't thing it matters what sharing software I use, its the communication between the xbox and the pc that's the problem :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

I had this problem when I was using Vuze to stream to the xbox, it just wouldnt find the PC but it would the laptop no bother, turned out I just had a sh**ty wireless card, I got a new one and all ok! Im also on win 7

I've been using W7 for the last 15 months (beta) and never had a problem streaming with it, using a Linksys WRT54GL router (Tomato firmware) and Avira Security Suite. Tried WMC many times but always found it far too awkward and slow to use. TVersity, although not as polished, is far more user friendly, streams just about everything to the Xbox and has much quicker access than waiting for WMC to load up.

Most likely it's your router. Pull out it's main cord for about 30-60 seconds and allow it to reboot, then try again. Even with Linux firmware, I still have to reboot my router at least once a week.

Failing that, look into what type of firewall you're running. That could be blocking the connection. My money's on the router though.

If it still doesn't work, we can start from scratch and go through the process step by step.

Oh, I just remembered, I used to have a different router a couple of years ago and I had to adjust the firewall and other settings in the router itself to allow me to stream through it.

Firstly, you'll need to make sure UPnP is enabled on your router. This should allow your PC/laptop and 360 to see each other. Failing that, you may have to lower the level of the built in firewall on your router. Turning on UPnP should solve the problem though.

• Advertisement

I've tried turning off the firewall on both my pc and the router itself. UPnP is also enabled. Not sure what else I can try :confused:

I've tried turning off the firewall on both my pc and the router itself. UPnP is also enabled. Not sure what else I can try :confused:

To be honest, I'm at a bit of a loss now.

I did read somewhere a long time ago that some people experienced problems with WMC if the had their PC connected wirelessly and their xbox wired to the router. It's recommended that the PC should be wired, then rest of the extenders can be wireless. Not sure how that would help, though.

Buy now, I'd have started using the router as target practice! God bless your patience.

Keep posting your progress. I'd like to hear your solution, when you finally figure it out.

What I'd do is:

Uninstall my PC sercurity suite, for the moment.
    Hard reset the router and check firmware is up to date, turn on UPcP and open ports for xbox live (3072/88).
    Perhaps change the router frequency to a higher channel like 13 or 14, just in case it was getting over powered by another device (unlikely).
    Clear the cache in the xbox.
    Make sure everything is wired initially.
    Freshly install TVersity again and forget WMC ever existed!!!

Also check out the TVersity forums. Lots there about connecting to the 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

im having the same problem with the upc router!

My pc is wireless but my xbox is wired. i was told its a problem with the router not bridging the connections correctly! I havent found a work around for this yet! but if anyone has an idea ide love to hear it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

To be honest, I'm at a bit of a loss now.

I did read somewhere a long time ago that some people experienced problems with WMC if the had their PC connected wirelessly and their xbox wired to the router. It's recommended that the PC should be wired, then rest of the extenders can be wireless. Not sure how that would help, though.

yea thats what happened me. my old laptop i used an ethernet to connect to my router but since i got my new one that has wireless it wont connect. just using tversity instead.

This is slowly driving me insane now.
    The issue isn't with what software I use to share. I've tried TVersity, Vuze, and WMC. None of them show up on my xbox.
    I've tried turning off firewalls on my pc and router, disabling all security software and still nothing. I don't think there's anything blocking the pc and xbox from communicating, at least not at a firewall/software level. I think its down to the configuration of the router. I can't access all tabs in the router, so it could well be in there that the change needs to be made. I'm pretty much at a loss now. Don't thinks there's much left for me to try. Other than taking a hammer to my router that is. That might make me feel better

• Advertisement

This is slowly driving me insane now.
    The issue isn't with what software I use to share. I've tried TVersity, Vuze, and WMC. None of them show up on my xbox.
    I've tried turning off firewalls on my pc and router, disabling all security software and still nothing. I don't think there's anything blocking the pc and xbox from communicating, at least not at a firewall/software level. I think its down to the configuration of the router. I can't access all tabs in the router, so it could well be in there that the change needs to be made. I'm pretty much at a loss now. Don't thinks there's much left for me to try. Other than taking a hammer to my router that is. That might make me feel better

Ok, deep breaths and count to ten ;)

Sorry if I'm repeating myself but have you tried connecting through the router with both the console and PC with wired connections?

Next thing we'll go through each setting on the router that's required to allow a media networking connection. We'll get to the bottom of this, don't worry.

And if it comes to smashing the router... please share that on YouTube with us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Carrolli

hi did you ever find a solution to this. i've trying for days now. xobw is connected to router AND laptop is wireless. both can see each other but cannot connect.

help

Advertisement