Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing A Static IP Address

• 27-03-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Is there anyway to do this?

I'd imagine it wouldn't be worth the hassle of calling my ISP? I thought I was getting a Dynamic IP Address as I'm on a Home Package, but according to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ I seem to have a Static IP Address.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Your ISP would determine this for you to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

did you try unplugging your modem and waiting a few min and plugging it back in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

dunworth1 wrote: »
    did you try unplugging your modem and waiting a few min and plugging it back in

I have mate, it doesn't make a difference though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have mate, it doesn't make a difference though.

Who's your ISP though? If it's UPC you may need to be disconnected for a few hours before the IP changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 taldar

Your ISP will assign you an IP address and you will usually hold it for anywhere from 1 day to a week if you are setup for dynamic. That website will not tell you if you are staic or dynamic, only what your IP is. Whats the problem if you are static anyway, unless they are charging you the €5 extra it usually costs a month...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Spear wrote: »
    Who's your ISP though? If it's UPC you may need to be disconnected for a few hours before the IP changes.

It's Eircom mate. I shall leave the router unplugged for the night and see does that make a difference tomorrow.

Advertisement