Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Gallagher Reveals Plans

Options
  • 27-03-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

nme.com
    Liam Gallagher has revealed that David Bowie and T-Rex have inspired his new post-Oasis album.

The singer told New York radio station RXP that his new group – featuring former bandmates Andy Bell, Gem Archer and Chris Sharrock – are aiming to head into the studio next month with a view to completing the record in June before releasing it the following summer.

"Andy and Gem are on fire at the moment," he enthused. "There's a bit of T-Rex and Bowie on there, I’m telling you there's a good mix of psychedelia but there’s some good rock 'n' roll tunes on there [as well].

"We're going to record halfway through April, we've got three weeks to do some tunes and if it's all cool we'll go back in June and finish it off. I'd like to have tune out in October and then put another one out after Christmas and then the album in the summer."

Although he has had several public digs at his brother Noel, who also had his first jovial pop at his younger sibling at his second Teenage Cancer Trust gig at the Royal Albert Hall last night (March 26), he did admit that the pair's new material will be "an exciting time for music".

"He'll go and do his thing and we'll go and do our thing and it'll be an exciting time for music not just in England but worldwide," he said.

But he still had the last word adding: "Noel's record will be good and ours will be better."

The singer said that they still haven't spoken since Noel quit the band last August but he admitted that they "will at some point".

He also revealed that a new Oasis singles collection will be released in the near future and he criticised the UK music scene.

"There's a few good bands but there's a lot of bands just making fast food music," he said. "It's not digesting well, they're not making albums. You hear a good tune on the radio and go out and buy it and its not all that."

In Noel land...
    Noel Gallagher played his second post-Oasis solo show tonight (March 26), mocking his ex-bandmate and brother Liam during his London Royal Albert Hall gig for the Teenage Cancer Trust.

The singer/guitarist played the same set he played the previous night at the venue, taking a pop at the fashion interest of his brother, Liam, who runs the Pretty Green clothes label after performing 'Cast No Shadow'.

Responding to shouts from a fan he said, "For the record that guy said, 'Where's Liam?'. He's probably being a real northerner somewhere designing the perfect desert boot."

Before the set started The Who's Roger Daltrey, who curates the Teenage Cancer Trust gigs, had given an introduction in which he explained how he'd invited Liam to help his band perform 'Quadrophenia' with them next week at the venue.

"I couldn't think of anyone better to play [character] Ace Face," he told the audience before making way for Noel. "I called him up but he said, 'I can't, I'm doing something far more important. I'm going to Disneyland with my children'."

As he had been last night, Noel was joined by his ex-Oasis bandmate Gem Archer on guitar plus Oasis' former live keyboard player Jay Darlington. An eight-piece all-female orchestra joined the set-up shortly into the gig as did the 50-strong Crouch End Choir.

With the set heavy on songs from the early parts of Oasis career and berefit of new material, Noel dedicated 'Slide Away' to his girlfriend Sara MacDonald. He dedicated 'Digsy's Dinner' to a particularly vocal crowd member who he found out was named Dave. Dave, stood near the front row, briefly earned cheers as he danced following the dedication before Noel said, "Are you done now?". He added, "Every note for you," as the song ended. "Every ****ing note for you."

Following 'Whatever' he closed the show with an encore comprising 'The Masterplan', 'Married With Children' and 'Don't Look Back In Anger'.

"Thanks for supporting the charity for the past ten years," he said before leading cheers for his band, the choir and orchestra.

Noel Gallager played:

'(It's Good) To Be Free'
    'Talk Tonight'
    'Fade Away'
    'Cast No Shadow'
    'Half The World Away'
    'Don't Go Away'
    'The Importance Of Being Idle'
    'Listen Up'
    'Sad Song'
    'Wonderwall'
    'Rockin' Chair'
    'Slide Away'
    'Digsy's Dinner'
    'Whatever'
    'The Masterplan'
    'Married With Children'
    'Don't Look Back In Anger'

Source: www.nme.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

When: 7.00pm (UK Time) on Monday, 29 March 2010.
    Until: 8.00pm (UK Time) on Monday, 29 March 2010.

Where: on Absolute Radio

Listen to highlights from Noel Gallagher's Teenage Cancer Trust performance at the Royal Albert Hall.

A well done to who spots which single is missing!
    ‘Time Flies’ is the complete singles collection celebrating the work of Oasis from start to finish. Released on 14th June through Big Brother Recordings, the songs that comprise this album span fifteen glorious years walked tall alongside a staggering seven consecutive number one albums. 1994’s ‘Definitely Maybe’, 1995’s ‘(What’s The Story) Morning Glory?’, 1997’s ‘Be Here Now’, 2000’s ‘Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants’, 2002’s ‘Heathen Chemistry’, 2005’s ‘Don’t Believe The Truth’ and their last from 2008, ‘Dig Out Your Soul’. Starting with their irresistible debut, ‘Supersonic’ and finishing with their very last release, ‘Falling Down’, the album features all 26 singles - 23 Top Tens including 8 No.1's. A deluxe version of ‘Time Flies’ features all 36 videos ever made (all previously unreleased) including versions made for the UK and America, as well as the last ever recorded Oasis live show from The Roundhouse in London on the 21st July 2009.

April 1994 it begins. Effortlessly, the classic singles, ‘Supersonic’ and ‘Shakermaker’ provided a tangible feeling that something was happening; then came ‘Live Forever’, where we saw a young Liam Gallagher nailed to a chair in that bizarre video and somehow the notion that one of ours could again excite, incite and not to mention, sell millions of records was very real. They virtually reignited an ailing industry and revitalised the global music scene. They did this by becoming “the most complete pop group on the planet”. They knew it too; as Noel Gallagher, the band’s principal songwriter, simply explained, “We’re not arrogant, we just believe we’re the greatest band in the World.” His younger brother who went on to become one of the ‘greatest frontmen of all time’, once remarked, “There’s Elvis and me. I couldn’t say which of the two is best.” Oasis owned attitude, and noise and confusion often followed. Early on, Noel said, “All I know is that the gigs are selling out and we’re probably gonna get in loads more trouble on this tour…”

It was this kind of self belief and ambition that flung the world open to Oasis. From their landmark 'arrival' performance at T in the Park in 1994 to the now legendary gigs at Maine Road, a weekend of history-making at Knebworth, world famous venues that included sell out shows at Madison Square Gardens and the Hollywood Bowl, and stadiums from Wembley to River Plate, Argentina and beyond, as well as just about every single festival here and abroad, Oasis rapidly grew but never lost their high cool. How many bands manage that - and why? Undoubtedly, millions identified, aspired, shared the dream of the boys from Burnage making very, very good. Their outspokenness and the very real relationship of Noel and Liam kept us enthralled and amused. At times, it provided real drama, but nevertheless the humanity shone through more often than not.

So what is there left to say about the greatest rock 'n' roll band of our time? These could be the best days of our lives. And they were. And they still are. Oasis entertained on every level. At every concert tens of thousands united to sing along to, be moved by, be energised by and reminisce with this incredible set list - a definitive chronicle of a generation, national anthems, a series of musical lunar landings. Remember whose eyes you were looking into when you first heard ‘Wonderwall’? Who had their arm around you during ‘Don't Look Back In Anger’? Who did you steal a glance from during ‘Stop Crying Your Heart Out’? Mosh with to 'Lyla'? Who did you want to ‘Live Forever’ with? And why did it all work so well, for so long, all around the world, for so many people? For a time, they did change the way we walked, we talked, the way we dressed. For Oasis it was always so simple. Liam Gallagher comments, “I’m totally proud of everything we’ve done… I liked the crazy times and the not so crazy, I liked it all, man.” And Noel Gallagher sums it up by saying, “The fact that we kept it together for so long is testament to our love of the music. It’s from the heart.”

TIMES FLIES… 1994 - 2009

Supersonic
    Roll With It
    Live Forever
    Wonderwall
    Stop Crying Your Heart Out
    Cigarettes & Alcohol
    Songbird
    Don’t Look Back In Anger
    The Hindu Times
    Stand By Me
    Lord Don’t Slow Me Down
    Shakermaker
    All Around The World
    Some Might Say
    The Importance of Being Idle
    D’You Know What I Mean?
    Lyla
    Let There Be Love
    Go Let It Out
    Who Feels Love?
    Little By Little
    The Shock Of The Lightning
    She Is Love
    Whatever
    I’m Outta Time
    Falling Down

Keep checking back to Oasisinet for all the latest info on 'Time Flies'.

Source: www.oasisinet.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭RayCon

zimovain wrote: »
    A well done to who spots which single is missing!

Morning Glory

RayCon wrote: »
    Morning Glory

Nope...it was never out as a single in ire/uk,maybe should have said that in my OP. What's missing is....
    Sunday Morning Call

that's actually one of my faves

• Advertisement

that's actually one of my faves

And mine. Excellent song that I'd have put on over She Is Love!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Nope...it was never out as a single in ire/uk,maybe should have said that in my OP. What's missing is....
    Sunday Morning Call

Pretty sure I bought that single in HMV at the time!??? :confused:

Pretty sure I bought that single in HMV at the time!??? :confused:

HMV stocked import singles from them when they were huge, picked up a few myself back in the day. It was Australian release if I remember correctly.
    Morning Glory" is a song by British rock band Oasis, written by Noel Gallagher, and which was released on the band's second album (What's the Story) Morning Glory? in September 1995. It was given an Australian-only single release and was also a radio single in the United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Glory_%28Oasis_song%29

HMV stocked import singles from them when they were huge, picked up a few myself back in the day. It was Australian release if I remember correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Glory_%28Oasis_song%29

Ah my mistake, I thought you were referring to what was in the spoiler....which I DONT have on single now that I've checked it!

Ah my mistake, I thought you were referring to what was in the spoiler....which I DONT have on single now that I've checked it!

Baffling it's not on it! Stunning track, one of Noel's best vocals.

• Advertisement

Baffling it's not on it! Stunning track, one of Noel's best vocals.

Yeah surely they could've squeezed it on there, its only one song FFS! Funnily enough it was my least favourite track from Standing On The Shoulder of Giants at the time, but it grew on me big time over the years. The video for it is brill too, a big "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" vibe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

I would have thought that Noel free from Liam could have changed his setlist a bit but it is near the same one that he played two years previously in the Albert Hall. Will Liam go under the Oasis moniker or a new band name? Noel might release an album in five years or so if he can find the time:mad:

Oasis' new compilation album 'Time Flies' will include 'Sunday Morning Call', despite it initally appearing that the 2000 single was going to be omitted from the career-spanning release.

The song was initially missing from the compilation's tracklisting, which features every other Oasis single since the band's 1994 debut 'Supersonic'.

However, on promotional copies of the collection 'Sunday Morning Call' features as a unannounced secret track at the end of the second disc of the compilation, coming after the band's final single 'Falling Down', which came out last year.

It is believed this will be the same for the final version of the record.

The Noel Gallagher-sung track, taken from Oasis' 'Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants' album, charted at Number 4 in July 2000.

'Time Flies' will be released on June 14. The cover artwork is a shot of one of Oasis' Knebworth gigs in 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The setlist by Noel in the OP is unreal.

Would've given my left one to see that live.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The setlist by Noel in the OP is unreal.

Would've given my left one to see that live.

Tried my best to get tickets but to no avail. Have had the pleasure of seeing Noel perform a full gig in the past though. The videos from the gig are brilliant, he has the crowd in the palm of his hand. Noel has really come along way in holding a crowd as good as Liam in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sunday Morning Call will be on that release now after all.Fantastic tune tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Did anybody else have a frisson of disappointment when they opened the thread and it didn't say "hang himself"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Wow it took until Page 2 not bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

gustavo wrote: »

One if you do 30 posts a page.

Not as good for the finger-wagging epistles, but.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

stovelid wrote: »
    Did anybody else have a frisson of disappointment when they opened the thread and it didn't say "hang himself"?

I was desperately hoping he'd made overtures to Bonehead in an attempt to get The Rain up and running again.

• Advertisement

I was desperately hoping he'd made overtures to Bonehead in an attempt to get The Rain up and running again.

Bonehead's busy these days with 'The Vortex'

Noel Gallagher wants to use a choir on his forthcoming solo LP. The former "Oasis" guitarist, who quit the band August 2009 following a series of explosive rows with his brother, frontman Liam Gallagher, wants the Crouch End Festival Chorus to appear on the record after performing with them at London's Royal Albert Hall last month.

"I was speaking to Noel's manager about this and I was saying to him," David Temple, the choir's conductor, said. "We'll get the very best out of the choir if we get any recording. It'd be in a studio, we'd love it."

While Noel has said little about his solo record, Liam has revealed his is working with his fellow former Oasis' band mates, Gem Archer, Andy Bell and Chris Sharrock, but won't be reprising the name because he hates it. He said, "It's not Oasis. That was a s**t name anyway. I'm glad to see the back of it."

"There's one that we're digging at the moment, but we're going to get on with the music and see how it goes. If we haven't got a better one by then, we'll go with the one we're into."

"We'll be on stage this year, without a doubt. We're halfway through the record, the demos, that is. We're in the studio this April to see if this producer works out. If he does, we'll crack on with the album through June and July."

Source: www.celebrity-mania.com

http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/51231
    Quote:
    Liam Gallagher has announced that he has named his post-Oasis band Beady Eye.

As well as the frontman, the band features his ex-Oasis bandmates Gem Archer, Andy Bell and Chris Sharrock. They are recording their debut album with producer Steve Lillywhite (Peter Gabriel, The Rolling Stones, U2).

Last month Liam Gallagher said he was planning on releasing his new band's first single in October, and play live shows around its release.

I'm looking forward to the new music but that new name is bloody awful!! Should have just called themselves Liam Gallagher & The something-or-others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thelastpartizan

gustavo wrote: »

Was expecting it much sooner myself. As for Beady Eye, it's a **** name, but since when has a bands name really mattered, unless the name itself is the gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

"Beady Eye or Gorillas?"
    "Eh Gorillas"
    "Wha?"
    "I mean Beady Eye, Beady Eye"

Doesn't have the same ring to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Was expecting it much sooner myself. As for Beady Eye, it's a **** name, but since when has a bands name really mattered, unless the name itself is the gimmick.

They don't matter but when the arrogant snot comes out saying Oasis was a crap name and then this is his alternative, that's a bit different.

I know which brother's album I'm more looking forward to anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thelastpartizan

niallon wrote: »
    They don't matter but when the arrogant snot comes out saying Oasis was a crap name and then this is his alternative, that's a bit different.

I know which brother's album I'm more looking forward to anyway...

Oasis was a crap name for a band and Liam has every right to dismiss it as it was Liam & Bonehead who named the band. Big difference between arrogance and confidence by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Any rough date when Beady Eye's first album will be out? :)

• Advertisement

Any rough date when Beady Eye's first album will be out? :)

Apparently we'll have a single in October so at a guess,in the new year we'll have the album.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement