Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wiring motorised valves.

• 27-03-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,
    My gas central heating system has two manual valves that I turn off when I only want the water heated and not the rads. These are difficult to get at. I am about to update my kitchen and would like to upgrade to two, two port, motorised valves. How would these be wired? I see lots of stuff about wiring valves through the programmer. Is there a simpler way like just having a switch that turns on and off the valves. Would these valves have to have permanent power to keep them open or closed? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭meercat

they dont normally require permanent feed.simplest just to switch them on and off.you may want to control them with a timer or through a room stat though as the life of the valves will be shortened if they are switched on all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Spring loaded motorized valves only need a neutral & live to open ,the spring closes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

Try the following website for wiring plans for heating systems. Very useful and easily done.
    You'll be using a programmer, Room stat and cylinder stat. Programmer for the times you want it on and the stats to control the two motorised valves.
    http://www.honeywelluk.com/lib/pdf/Wiring-Guide-Issue-14.pdf

Hope this is of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Firefly2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is there a simpler way like just having a switch that turns on and off the valves. Would these valves have to have permanent power to keep them open or closed? Any help appreciated.

You don't have to have anything wired to the clock or the boiler ,if you don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya the spring return will have the switch wire+n to open/close

the electrical return type have the permanent feed/switch wire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Firefly2

OK. I am trying to keep things really simple for myself. I did not want to wire to the boiler, unless necessary. Just a switch that will open or close the valves when I require.
    Am I to understand that when I apply power to the valve it opens and stays open until I remove power?
    I can see how it could be a problem having permanent power on the valve holding it open for days on end. I probably would be best wiring valves through the the programmer. The programmer I have does not seem to have seperate timings for just water and water and heating. Can you suggest a suitable programmer/timer?

Thanks, Firefly2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yes, just use the three cores, live neutrel and earth, forget the rest. when valve has power via switch. it will open, when power is turned off it will automatically close.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You might as well run the extra cabling to them to switch the boiler, even if you don't wire it up right now. Much easier than to rip it all out again.

ya fit the 5-wire anyway n/c valves

it's best to 'scope out' the heating system and do it right

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

I think what your looking for is, switch live to your boiler is carried on as the power to the 2 switches for your valves. Therefore you'll only send power to the valve switches when the heat is on. Although as the other posts say it is best to use all 5 wires to make the system interlock.

• Advertisement

GopErthike wrote: »
    I think what your looking for is, switch live to your boiler is carried on as the power to the 2 switches for your valves. Therefore you'll only send power to the valve switches when the heat is on. Although as the other posts say it is best to use all 5 wires to make the system interlock.

mv contacts are fed from a perm. feed usually

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

M cebee wrote: »
    mv contacts are fed from a perm. feed usually

You're right, but you only use a permanent on the micro switch. If you just want to power them to open and not use the micro switch, then you just need a switch live and neutral.

ya

GopErthike wrote: »
    You're right, but you only use a permanent on the micro switch. If you just want to power them to open and not use the micro switch, then you just need a switch live and neutral.

some of the mvs with electrical return are 'perm feed-close +switch wire open' for the motor

and some are 'switch wire-open+ switch wire close' using a 2-way stat

they seem to be italian make

Advertisement