Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary Teaching

Options
  • 27-03-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,
    Strange question can anyone tell me is there a way of getting into secondary school teaching with a b.ed?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A friend of mine is in that situation, they were told to do another degree in a second-level teaching subject, whether they would ever use it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

as in another 3 year degree?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes. The person I mention was heading a special needs unit within a second-level school, but with children who were really primary level, despite their ages.

The Teaching Council told her to do another degree, even while acknowledging she would never use it, as she is somewhat of an expert on special needs and would be unlikely to ever end up teaching JC or LC History/English/whatever. She wasn't in a position to do that, so lost her job in the school.

It's ridiculous of course, especially seeing as how people go from secondary to primary teaching, but there you go, the TC know best, I'm sure.

Post may contain some sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Thanks your replies that seriously sucks sorry to hear about your friend.

Do you know would you have to do the h.dip aswell or would the b.ed cover that side of things?

I would expect the B. Ed. to cover the teacher training bit, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    The Teaching Council told her to do another degree, even while acknowledging she would never use it, as she is somewhat of an expert on special needs and would be unlikely to ever end up teaching JC or LC History/English/whatever. She wasn't in a position to do that, so lost her job in the school.
    That's crazy. I would have thought someone like that should be steered towards something like the PGDip in Sp. & Rem. Educ. (some name like that, anyway!), if they didn't already have it, and that should be plenty.

Yeah, TC can be very rigid ... while a consistent qualification standard is ofc desirable, there were damn good reasons why schools / VECs etc. applied some flexibility in certain cases ... and it's not like there was ever a lot of it around to start with, at least if the individual didn't want to spend their life as part-time on basic minimum point on pay scale.

Advertisement