Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richard Sadlier

• 27-03-2010 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

How much are RTE paying him for his punditry? I know his career was cut short by injury but who is he to speak on the Premiership when he has never played at a top level

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i actually think he's alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Jigga wrote: »
    How much are RTE paying him for his punditry? I know his career was cut short by injury but who is he to speak on the Premiership when he has never played at a top level

A lot of top managers never played at the top level and most sports writers never played at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I was just about to post asking who he was.

Very nervous but otherwise excellent. Sensible comments and not the usually clichés you get from Lawrenson et al.

Having said that, he just had to get Kenny to bail him out there. Decent otherwise though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rather snobby from the OP, he's done perfectly fine apart from when his conveyor belt of thought jammed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Is he on the RTE panel for the Premier League highlights.

Ritchie's alright. He's articulate and knows his stuff. Just because he never played in the Premier League doesn't mean he doesn't know about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I rather Ronnie Whelan

the man talks alot of sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

He just used the word "ominous" there, he therefore has IQ 100 points greater than Ronnie.

Giving him a total of 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Headshot wrote: »
    I rather Ronnie Whelan

the man talks alot of sense
    I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

monkey9 wrote: »
    Is he on the RTE panel for the Premier League highlights.

Ritchie's alright. He's articulate and knows his stuff. Just because he never played in the Premier League doesn't mean he doesn't know about football.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

LOL at Cunningham trying to pronounce Kranjcar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

He's not half as entertaining as Kenny's eyebrows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I think Kennys trying to emulate the Bobby Charlton comb over, or even better it. Its time to let it go. As for Richie, he knows what he's on about. Talks a load of sense especially where LOI football is concerned. Ronnie's good for the rants against the Pool but his Scouse/Dub accent is up there with nails down a blackboard as far as Im concerned. He should get elecution lessons from Jan Molby if he wants to become a professional Scouser!

I like Sadlier. i think he's a sensible pundit. Better the that cretin Cunningham at the side of him or that smug 'I put the ball in the english net' Houghton or Kevin "Manchester United" Moran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

emm... you could say the same about a few other commentators/pundits tbh, and some managers

he isnt the worst i have seen anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

That's a candidate for worst post of the year right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

You realise most Premiership footballers are retards right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

You realise most Premiership footballers are retards right?

:D

Re: Opening poster. IMO, a preequisite to comment on the game on TV should be the abilty to speak correctly. He's already ahead of most on that score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's this sort of thinking that leaves you with people like Jamie Redknapp, Paul Merson and even Dean Windass giving you your 'in depth' analysis.

Sadlier is decent enough imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Most ex-premiership pundits can't actually mentally function to a high level.

Plus the old chestnut about having to have played at the top level to discuss football intelligently means that the opinion (or anybody else on here) advanced in your OP - or the opinions of most journalists - is completely without merit.

• Advertisement

The thing about Ritchie is, he will pull no punches. I haven't seen the show tonight (i'm assuming he was on the panel of RTE's highlights of the Premier League), but he will say what he thinks, no bother.

People complaining about him not being a Premier League player: Ronnie Whelan was a top division player and he's an absolute idiot.

Johnny Giles: played the game about 35 years ago, has not kept up to date with the modern game to a decent standard (RTE is not a decent standard)

Eamon Dunphy: controversy, it's all he has.

To be slating Richard Sadlier is ridiculous. He had to retire early in his career (where he played for Millwall and Ireland), so he studied journalism, was CEO of St Pat's and gained great experience from the basic running of a football club, Yeah, i know it's LOI, but we played in Europe and that takes a lot of organising)

Basically, in terms of RTE panelists, where you have Whelan with an agenda, Dunphy with an ego he tries to maintain with controversary and Giles with a knowledge of football that he refuses to update, i would certainly have more interest in what Ritchie Sadlier has to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I saw Sadlier last weeka and thought he was a breath of fresh air. Not afraid to voice his opinions, reasonably articulate and doesn't appear to be on a wind-up like others (such as the OP).

LOL at the "not having played at the highest level" malarky. Sure neither did Mourinho and Wenger. Then again what the f*ck do they know?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Nice lad always comes across well in anything media related.

best suited to it tbh, hopefully keep him away from running football clubs for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

excellent pundit.

says f*ck off to the clichés.

and doesn't pander to the sound of his own voice.

i've found him to be a breath of fresh air.

edit: ha, i hadn't read the thread, seems like i stole the phrase of Flah!

SlickRic wrote: »
    excellent pundit.

Thief.:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

SlickRic wrote: »
    excellent pundit.

but people can't understand anything outside of the status quo (same people who think that those words are only an awesome band (and can't understand double braketing (which is fine even triple brackets))which it is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

I like Sadlier. i think he's a sensible pundit. Better the that cretin Cunningham at the side of him or that smug 'I put the ball in the english net' Houghton or Kevin "Manchester United" Moran
    Kenny Cunnigham is very good i think. Agree with a lot of what he says.

At least the other players you have mentioned have played in the Premiership and for their country. It may sound harsh but i think Sadlier may have only got that job out of pity because he had to retire early.

At least the other players you have mentioned have played in the Premiership and for their country. It may sound harsh but i think Sadlier may have only got that job out of pity because he had to retire early.

he got it as he has been a media whore for the last year, the guy will appear on the news in the background if offered. He has worked that positiuon very well and his new FAI position.

**** all to do with his injury tbh more so to do with his ambitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i was very ijmpressed with him. hadnt a clue who he was at all. and as for not playing at the top level.... WTF.... just take a look at paul merson

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Have you ever voiced you opinion? Anywhere? on anything?

You don't earn an opinion by simply being in the pocition, look at politics, would you want Berty or any of the current crop of ****e, reporting in the news on the going on in that Dail? no.

You want someone has an understanding of the actual theory and goings on.

Sadlier actually understands football, like me (I'm kinda godlikeish) that's why he should be given a chance.

No offense, but that's boll!x. Do you really think RTE would spend money out of pity??? Why would they give a sh!t about Ritchie Sadlier?? Seriously!!! They must see something in him and i for one, agree!!

You are being pretty harsh in fairness. He's shown himself to be a well balanced observer who's not afraid to voice an "unpopular" opinion in his newspaper articles for quite a few years now, so to say he's getting the job out of pity is deeply unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mayordenis wrote: »
    (I'm kinda godlikeish)

You certainly think you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

In terms of punditry, he & Kenny are a lot better than listening to Giles & Dunphy talking sh*te, but not half as entertaining.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Nice lad always comes across well in anything media related.

best suited to it tbh, hopefully keep him away from running football clubs for a bit.

Yeah, i agree with that. Now in fairness, i think he did a decent enough job at Pat's. I genuinely thought he promoted the club well enough and always talked sense. I think he was a good voice for the club, but maybe some decisions could have been better. but overall, Ritchie was a decent bloke, imo

• Advertisement

Yeah, i agree with that. Now in fairness, i think he did a decent enough job at Pat's. I genuinely thought he promoted the club well enough and always talked sense. I think he was a good voice for the club, but maybe some decisions could have been better. but overall, Ritchie was a decent bloke, imo

Have you got the new jersey yet?

Go sadlier :rolleyes::o

Have you got the new jersey yet?

Go sadlier :rolleyes::o

How is that Ritchie's fault thought, just out of curiousity???

Now don't get me wrong, i haven't a clue whats going on with the jerseys. Right now, i'm blaming Umbro!!!!

How is that Ritchie's fault thought, just out of curiousity???

Now don't get me wrong, i haven't a clue whats going on with the jerseys. Right now, i'm blaming Umbro!!!!

He signed the deal knowing the time frames involved and knowing he wasnt going to be there. few other things but best kept not posted on here :D My fav is "i cant take the club any further" yet uhh seem to be a tad better than last seasons start.

Anyway decent lad knows his stuff and is fairly good on camera, if the injury was a reason for him to be on TV why do Sky Sports use him for the last 5 years and RTE only now?

He signed the deal knowing the time frames involved and knowing he wasnt going to be there. few other things but best kept not posted on here :D My fav is "i cant take the club any further" yet uhh seem to be a tad better than last seasons start.

Anyway decent lad knows his stuff and is fairly good on camera, if the injury was a reason for him to be on TV why do Sky Sports use him for the last 5 years and RTE only now?

Fair enough with the jersey deal, don't know about that at all.

But as a pundit on RTE, in terms of the actual game, he knows more about the modern state of things compared to Giles & Dunphy, but they are there for entertainment purposes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It was entertaining to see him tonight, bottling it when he lost his way, then handing it over to Kenny, who went on a mad eyebrow bender.

They're just a few years short of having their own Aprés Match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

My favourite is when Kenny raises his eyebrows while simultaneously saying 'AGAIN'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

loi fans lol

CHD wrote: »
    loi fans lol

OMG:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

And so on.

And so forth!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought his tirade against Gold and Sullivan was bang on the money, it was good to hear someone say that so forcefully.

Good performance from Richard on RTE again tonight. Realy warming to him now. Expresses his opinions forcefully but eloquently.

Enjoyed the Millwall double act with Eamonn. He wasn't intimidated by sharing the stage with him either which is good.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Enjoyed the Millwall double act with Eamonn. He wasn't intimidated by sharing the stage with him either which is good.

why should he be? its not pele we're talking about here its Dunphy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Pele was a pup and Dunphy was a good Pro

why should he be? its not pele we're talking about here its Dunphy. :D

True. Sometimes when the less experienced guys are on with Dunphy you get the impression they're just saying what they think he'll want to hear. Whereas with Sadlier you get the impression he's speaking his own mind and is his own man. I think he's gonna be a star in the World Cup coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I like that guy.He says what he wants to say and seems to know what he is talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Need2Know4Sure

First time seeing Richie on the box....Have to say i was pretty impressed.

Knows his stuff and gives good honest opinions....Just what is needed.

Hopefully he'll put Dunphys back in his box some night :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement