Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richard Sadlier

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I like the column he writes for the Sindo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

First time seeing him as well and I think he's a breath of fresh air. My first thought was "well he's better that Keith O' Neill anyway!!" who basically embarrassed himself, Confederations Cup 2007 I think it was.

He's not a fence sitter thats for sure, not one bit afraid to say what he thinks about certain things, Iain Dowie in particular. And its fair to say he's not a member of the Stephen Ireland fan club either.

Keith O'Neill too nice to be a pundit. Mark Kinsella or Matt Holland both very good imo. Sadler a very smart guy but to quote the liam brady impersonator "He could end up on the C panel with Kenny Cunningham and Peter Collins, Billlllll!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

. Sadler a very smart guy but to quote the liam brady impersonator "He could end up on the C panel with Kenny Cunningham and Peter Collins, Billlllll!!!!"
    No doubt about that. He ain't there long enough to get the senior plum ties. Remember one world cup where they had Townsend & Irwin doing phone ins. lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like Richard as well. Speaks his mind in a very articulate manner. He should gain more confidence the more appearances he makes and I hope he gets some air time during the World Cup coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I think he's decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

His column in the Sunday Independent is always a good read. He knows his stuff. Would like to see him replace Ronnie Whelan on the main panel.

I'm still annoyed at the Giles bating going on lately. I still agree with 90% of what he says. Just because Sky say somebody is world class doesn't mean they actually are. Richie Sadlier seems to side with Gilesy there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

There are plenty of former Premiership players knocking around that sound like idiots when put in front of a microphone.

Richie Sadlier knows what he's talking about, but just as important, he is able to articulate himself without talking nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Nothing beats Kenny's eyebrows. Euro 2008 during the lesser team games, that pair were up and down like crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

IMO Sadlier was one of the most honest men in LOI football in the past few years and it seems he's become one of the more honest pundits we've had in a while. He cut his teeth on MNS where he was a head and shoulders above the rest (especially Mr Collins grrrrrr!) I hope he becomes a regular part of the RTÉ schedule, maybe it's time for Giles and Dunphy to retire?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Jigga wrote: »
    How much are RTE paying him for his punditry? I know his career was cut short by injury but who is he to speak on the Premiership when he has never played at a top level

On that thinking, I think we should do the noble thing and shut this forum down, cause your all talking allowed of ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

deadhead13 wrote: »
    I like the column he writes for the Sindo.

Read it ages ago and was impressed. I'm assuming he writes it himself unlike most of the other former players.

Thought it was funny to hear him and Cunningham praising Berbatov the other week; Giles and Dunphy must not have been within 100 miles of Donnybrook:D

But you can't beat Eamon for pure entertainment value ... baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

The lad done well. Very articulate

flahavaj wrote: »
    True. Sometimes when the less experienced guys are on with Dunphy you get the impression they're just saying what they think he'll want to hear. Whereas with Sadlier you get the impression he's speaking his own mind and is his own man. I think he's gonna be a star in the World Cup coverage.

On that note, was Sadlier on the world cup coverage yet? Very impressed with Didi Hamann. i don't think we've seen the last of him and please god we haven't. he is excellent and i love that Scouse/German accent. i thought he'd sound like Dieter from Killinascully

First I saw of him was last night on the highlights show - very honest and say all I thought, good performance. I'd definately like to see him on duty for one of the live games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

On that note, was Sadlier on the world cup coverage yet? Very impressed with Didi Hamann. i don't think we've seen the last of him and please god we haven't. he is excellent and i love that Scouse/German accent. i thought he'd sound like Dieter from Killinascully

Sadlier was on late last night with Con Murphy when they did the highlights of the England game. He'll probably only be used on that show I'd say on the days when Denis isn't on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sadlier could show the old guard a few new tricks, but that could by why he hasn't been seen earlier than about 11 pm!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

This may sound stupid, but...I think we should be trying to groom Sadlier, Hamann, Irwin etc into more prominent roles.

Eamo and Gilesy aren't getting any younger as much as I love them. We don't want a situation were both retire in a few years with Bill and we are left with absolute ****e coverage.

Can't see Hamann sticking around the RTE studio for long, he'll be looking to get into a manager role and go down that route. You're right on Sadlier and Irwin though, but I think we'll see more of Sadlier on LOI games and Premier Soccer Saturday then covering CL games and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Excellent pundit who knows the in's and out's of the modern game

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

How much are RTE paying him for his punditry? I know his career was cut short by injury but who is he to speak on the Premiership when he has never played at a top level

Who are you to speak on television punditry when you've never been a television pundit?

tdv123 wrote: »
    Who are you to speak on television punditry when you've never been a television pundit?
    kelso_burn.gif

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Playing at the top level means absolutely nothing.

If you don't believe that then stick on ITV or BBC , where they have hour after hour of complete ****e coverage full of ex top level players like Hansen, Shearer,Townsend, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Have you ever commented on a game? Expressed an opinion on a player?

Advertisement