Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating multi zone controllers with a "serial" in connection of some sort.

Options
  • 27-03-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Wiring the house at the moment and it'll have multi zone (5) heating using a "Horstmann" controller.

I'd like to get a controller that will have some kind of input for a computer like ethernet or serial. The controller will itself provide a console fr programming etc but i'd like one that can be programmed from a computer program so I can control remotely etc?

I'm on a limited timescale so I haven't much time to research. Just wondering is anybody aware of a controller that would meet my requirements?

Thanks..

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

IMHO what you really want is a PLC. These are designed to switch outputs depending on the programme and the status of inputs. In your case the output would be the boiler, zone valves etc. and the inputs would be stats. This can interface with a PC. By using some software you can have a graphical display of the status. PLCs can be very expensive but a small second hand basic one would do far more that you require. They are for sale on e-Bay for under €200. They will also have a builtin timer/clock.

The wiring from the PLC to the PC depends on the PLC type. It is often a "network cable" (CAT5 or 6).

Some would say it is over the top, but I work with people that have done this in their own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭sundodger5

you could do it with homeautomation software and X10 modules.
    with the software you could control more than home heating.
    take a look at the forums http://www.cebotics.com/
    i use housebot for lights and as a music server was the best value at the time and X10 light modules are small money compared to the pro install stuff.
    see http://www.intellihome.be for X10 pricing and what modules are available.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

you could do it with homeautomation software and X10 modules.
    Yes, this may be a better option as it will be eassier for you to find someone that can do this.
    I just like PLCs :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would recommend the X10 route also. It will give you more control & its just a matter of replacing your existing timer with an X10 appliance switch. You will also have the ability to control other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I'm not sure about the X10 route. I ad thought about that before but something just doesn't sit right with it.

@2011 Can you give me more info on these PLCs you speak of. Do you mean Programmable Logic Controller? Is that just a general hardware unit or can you get ones specifically made for home heating? Can you get give me links to a couple of examples please?

• Advertisement

Can you give me more info on these PLCs you speak of. Do you mean Programmable Logic Controller?

Yes. They are used in industry to control all sorts of things like HVAC systems, validated process control in the pharmaceutical industry to very exacting standards. The list is endless to be honest.

In modern industry they have fantastic user interfaces normally referred to as HMIs. Google SCADA systems for example to learn more about this.

PLCs can carry out complicated mathematical calculations, “talk to each other”, do all kinds of things. The upper end of the market would be dominated mainly by Siemens, Allen Bradley, Schneider.

Simpler versions that would be much more affordable would be the likes of the Mitsubishi. It will do way more than you would ever want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Ok.

I'll look read up on it during the week when I get time. Thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

techguy wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the X10 route. I ad thought about that before but something just doesn't sit right with it.
    If you wish to elaborate on your concerns I will try answer with my experiences of X10.

Advertisement