Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to know my version of Windows 2000 Server

• 27-03-2010 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I need to know what version I have as this will determine the upgrade path.

If was pretty sure that it was Advanced Server that I bought due to the numbers of network users at the time but I can't see this stated anywhere. Winver doesn't say Advanced and there is nothing on the CD.

One web site I looked at says "...Advanced Server supports up to 8GB of RAM and 8 processors per computer". The CD says 1-4 Processors which would suggest it's not Advanced.

How can I find out for sure?

Comments

Check the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions

The ProductType value will show what you have:

WinNT: Professional
    ServerNT: Server
    LanmanNT: Advanced Server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Got it, thanks. It says ServerNT so it must be Standard despite what I thought. I'm Googling away here but would you know the number of users that 2000 Server and 2000 Advanced Server allow?

shayser wrote: »
    Got it, thanks. It says ServerNT so it must be Standard despite what I thought. I'm Googling away here but would you know the number of users that 2000 Server and 2000 Advanced Server allow?

Are you referring to the maximum permitted simultaneous connections? This usually depends on how many CALs you have, you have to specify this in the Licencing control panel applet.

I am a bit confused because I'm pretty sure I remember at the time of buying the OS years ago we went for Advanced because of the number of network users that version of the OS would support. I recently asked the same question of a vendor about SBS 2003 and was told the maximum number of users it would support is 75. So I'm wondering if there is a similiar limitation with 2000 Server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

OK, in terms of server verison microsoft always have multiple versions.
    Even the same now on Windows 2008.
    The advanced / enterprise versions usually allow for higher Hardware specs, and features such as Clustering.
    Its all down to CALS as to how many people can access the servers, not the version of the O/S.

SBS is a completly different product, Exchange, ISA and SQL are bundled in with the premium version and if you were to use it on an enrvironment with a 1000 users, Microsoft would lose a lot of money!! so they limit and always will limit the number of users of it to 75..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Microsoft would lose a lot of money!! so they limit and always will limit the number of users of it to 75..
    The original release only allowed 25 users, it's gone up since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

SBS is a completly different product, Exchange, ISA and SQL are bundled in with the premium version and if you were to use it on an enrvironment with a 1000 users, Microsoft would lose a lot of money!! so they limit and always will limit the number of users of it to 75..

Fair play if you can run 1000 exchange users on a single server.

This article from MS states that I can upgrade to SBS Premium 2003 from Windows 2000 Server:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810613

I made an enquiry with a reseller who read from the back of the box: "“You must be licensed for Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 or a prior version to be eligible for this special upgrade edition”

Don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Advertisement