Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out bid me:)

Options
  • 28-03-2010 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I recently bid on a camera that I'm not interested in anymore. It's a Nikon D5000 and its location is Ireland so no import tax:) The current bid is 415euros. Its barely used and is in good condition. The auction is over on 29th March. Up the bid if your interested:)

Here's the link:

EDIT: removed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Suspicious post. But if it's genuine.... don't worry about it, most bidding happens in the last few minutes (I never bid longer than 6seconds before the end of an auction!) - I hope your max bid isn't too much higher than the current bid!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

bids can be retracted ...contact the seller and retract your bid ....problem solved ..... simples ;)

unless of course you are using this thread to shamelessly plug your own auction. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I can vouch for sugarcane, I know her personally and she is not plugging her own item. Just worried she will have to buy something she no longer wants.

Hun, as PCPhoto suggested, retract your bid. PM the seller with an apology

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SugarCane

No, Im genuinely stuck.I spoke to the guy through a message earlier today but I don't think I'm gonna be able to retract it. I've been looking all that stuff up,but its not lookin good.fingers crossed-ooh and spread the word:)

I can vouch for sugarcane, I know her personally and she is not plugging her own item. Just worried she will have to buy something she no longer wants.

Hun, as PCPhoto suggested, retract your bid. PM the seller with an apology

Thanks tons Dara:) I honestly don't think this guy would be ok with that. I asked him a Q. earlier but it doesnt look good.a no returns policy, and he's adamant to only use paypal as I was hopin to meet up to lessin the post and packaging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 freddyhard

SugarCane wrote: »
    I recently bid on a camera that I'm not interested in anymore. It's a Nikon D5000 and its location is Ireland so no import tax:) The current bid is 415euros. Its barely used and is in good condition. The auction is over on 29th March. Up the bid if your interested:)
    so why bid on something 5 times and then loose interest? i notice you also bid twice in a row going from €365 to €400.

Because I found a better deal. I can't believe you checked out my bids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

If you win the auction just don't pay for the item. Worst thing can happen is one seller will give you negative feedback.

If your account is new and has no positive feedback, and the only feedback you then will have is negative, create a new account.

EDIT: I just checked the bids and it appears you have zero feedback.

Just email the seller and tell them you have no intention of paying for the item then create a new account if he gives you negative feedback.

clearly i have nothing better to do.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    If you win the auction just don't pay for the item. Worst thing can happen is one seller will give you negative feedback.

If your account is new and has no positive feedback, and the only feedback you then will have is negative, create a new account.

Thanks a lot for the advice=)

• Advertisement

Just email the seller and tell them you have no intention of paying for the item then create a new account if he gives you negative feedback.
    Thanks a lot for the advice=)
    Integrity - both of you will probably have to look this up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

AFAIK to retract a bid has nothing to do with the seller. It is between eBay & the buyer. It will show on your record.

The advice of not paying etc. are not really fair on the Seller. I am also unsure if having found the item at a better price elsewhere is a good reason. You do enter into a contract when you place the bid.

My suggestion is to search the correct method to retract a bid on eBay & follow that route.

Please do not post advice which would be to not honour a legal contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

ebay is completely unfair like that, it's all a bit seedy really. If she doesn't want it, she should be allowed retract without penalty. Ok, there has to be some kind of ruling or you'll get multiple bid and runs, but people do change their minds. If you order something from a more stable shop, you can opt out.

Not telling you or advising you to, but if you just don't pay, worst case is you get a bad rating. People get over these things. Anyone selling on ebay will be expecting hic ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

freddyhard wrote: »
    clearly i have nothing better to do.
    Who has anything better to do these days lol

Actually mate you don't seem to have a clue what your talking about.

SugarCane, technically you have entered a contract and you are legally obliged to pay. Hence the "contact the seller and explain" give him/her some bull**** reason about money or something but give them a chance to take your bid off there before the auction ends so they can sell it them selves.

The seller can bring it up with ebay and worst case scenario they can sue you or at minimum IP, MAC and email ban you from ebay so you cant use their site again. It can get quite serious and the local authorities support ebay and sellers and its a legitimate form or commerce.

Leaving things are they are, as Bob_Harris suggested, and leaving the seller swinging in the wind is the wrong thing to do. Never mind being a pain in the ass for you and the seller, its simply the wrong thing to do morally. (lie to him/her and say something came up that ties all your money up for months or something so the seller does not try and chase you on principle but bets ot be nice about it)

............ does no one think about Karma anymore? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

ebay is completely unfair like that, it's all a bit seedy really. If she doesn't want it, she should be allowed retract without penalty. Ok, there has to be some kind of ruling or you'll get multiple bid and runs, but people do change their minds. If you order something from a more stable shop, you can opt out.

.... but eBay is not a shop, it is an Auction. When you make a bid that is entering a contract. You should be certain that you will pay the maximum price you are bidding before you press the button to accept that contract.

When making purchases on eBay I either use "Buy it Now" so then it is like a shop & the transaction is finalised right then or else I will use a Snipe Engine, which will allow me to change my mind if I wish. This is as the Snipe Engine will place my bid with eBay on my behalf in the last seconds of the Auction & I can go in & edit those details prior to that bid if I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sellers can't give buyers negative feedback anymore.
    No, Im genuinely stuck.I spoke to the guy through a message earlier today but I don't think I'm gonna be able to retract it.

If you pull out he can just offer it to the next highest bidder, it's not that hard to cancel an auction. He can't force you to pay so he's better off trying to work with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

CabanSail wrote: »
    .... but eBay is not a shop, it is an Auction. When you make a bid that is entering a contract. You should be certain that you will pay the maximum price you are bidding before you press the button to accept that contract.

When making purchases on eBay I either use "Buy it Now" so then it is like a shop & the transaction is finalised right then or else I will use a Snipe Engine, which will allow me to change my mind if I wish. This is as the Snipe Engine will place my bid with eBay on my behalf in the last seconds of the Auction & I can go in & edit those details prior to that bid if I wish.

fair enough, admittedly I don't do ebay. But bidding late or using the buy now option on seems wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Just use the retract bid form from http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-retract.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Actually mate you don't seem to have a clue what your talking about.

SugarCane, technically you have entered a contract and you are legally obliged to pay. Hence the "contact the seller and explain" give him/her some bull**** reason about money or something but give them a chance to take your bid off there before the auction ends so they can sell it them selves.

The seller can bring it up with ebay and worst case scenario they can sue you or at minimum IP, MAC and email ban you from ebay so you cant use their site again. It can get quite serious and the local authorities support ebay and sellers and its a legitimate form or commerce.

Leaving things are they are, as Bob_Harris suggested, and leaving the seller swinging in the wind is the wrong thing to do. Never mind being a pain in the ass for you and the seller, its simply the wrong thing to do morally. (lie to him/her and say something came up that ties all your money up for months or something so the seller does not try and chase you on principle but bets ot be nice about it)

............ does no one think about Karma anymore? :rolleyes:

Really, don't have a clue what I'm talking about?

People pull out of auctions on ebay (and in "real life") all the time. Sellers come across people who are unwilling to pay all the time.

Your dooms day worst case scenario is extremely unlikely to happen, but hey you might have just scared the girl into paying 400+ euro into something it turns out she doesn't need.

I never said "Leaving things are they are". I said contact the seller and let them know she cannot pay for the item. She should obviously use the official ebay routes for issues like this as well.

Karma, integrity and morality my balls.

...I never said "Leaving things are they are". I said contact the seller and let them know she cannot pay for the item. She should obviously use the official ebay routes for issues like this as well.

Karma, integrity and morality my balls.
    are you one of these building developers?

EDIT: sugarcane bid on the item 5 times. which jacked up the price for others who want to use ebay properly.
    (there is a difference in between cannot pay and no intention of paying - at least if you are going to quote yourself try and be correct about it. although that doesn't seem to be your thing)

• Advertisement

ttm wrote: »
    are youwere you directclosures :confused:
    no never heard of him. why am i heading down ban road?

Thanks to those of you for your genuine and supportive advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Hi SugarCane sorry for my obtuse post (now deleted) but I have to ask if you bought a camera for €54 euro?

Reason I ask is that the seller has a habit of taunting people that buy from him. Just ignore the question if you didn't.

Anyway if you didn't back to the original question. If you win the item and just don't pay for it the buyer will give you a non paying strike (so they can recover their ebay fees) and thats about it. You can appeal a 1st non-paying strike and get it removed (but only the first one). However if clock up 3 non paying strikes (4 if you get the first removed) your eBay history.

I contacted the seller but couldn't use the retraction form as there are only 3 reasons that you can retract a bid using the form.As far as I know, it's up to the seller whether he/she decides to cancel my bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ant_moore123

Unless your current/max bid is well over what the camera is worth I wouldn't worry to much as as other posts have said most bids come in the last few seconds

Hope it works out for you anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I contacted the seller but couldn't use the retraction form as there are only 3 reasons that you can retract a bid using the form.As far as I know, it's up to the seller whether he/she decides to cancel my bid.

And you going to tell me that everyone that retracts their bid is totally honest?

Its a very common method of checking a reserve. Put in a massive overbid say 9,000 instead of 90 then retract saying you bid the wrong amount. Also misused by scammers who bid on there own stuff, they'll put in a large bid to see what your max amount is then retract. If they get no better bids they'll bid just below your max just before the bidding ends.

So as you can see eBay is full of people "bending" the rules so I can see no reason why you can't retract your bid if its not too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

The retract form will automatically cancel your bids. You have to select one of the reasons which the seller will be informed of and can report you to Ebay if he/she feels your reason is invalid, but you wont hear anything from Ebay unless you make a habit of doing this.

The seller wrote back and everything is sorted. I'm very happy and will make sure I'm 110% about something before I bid again! Thanks again for everyone's help =)

Think that concludes the matter & this thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement