Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newry Marathon, May 31st

• 28-03-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Anyone else doing this ? or is everyone holding out for Cork?

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 3 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    0%
    3 stars (average)
    66%
    sarsfieldsrockultraman1 2 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    33%
    RightMid 1 vote
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

3 stars (average)
    im in for this ....again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

so with Ultraman , yvonne and myself that I know of....its like a portumna warm up run :D
    Cant remember if we have to collect the numbers the day before?....or can we drive up from Dublin on the morning? Any hints or tips re this marathon in particular would be most welcome ultraman.

3 stars (average)
    think you have to collect the day before....tis a nice relaxd run wit a sneaki hill at about 7 or 8 if i can remember,the second half is flat as a pancake wit plenty of water and gel stops.....

One week to go. JUst wondering about parking on the day.... Is it pretty much wherever y ou can find a space or is there a designated place to park? Will probably end up travelling early from Dublin direction on the morning.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

3 stars (average)
    One week to go. JUst wondering about parking on the day.... Is it pretty much wherever y ou can find a space or is there a designated place to park? Will probably end up travelling early from Dublin direction on the morning.
    Thanks

There are buses from Busaras at 6 on the Monday that get into Newry at 7:35 according to their timetables. Not Bus Eireann but some crowd called Translink.
    The bus depot is only 5 min walk from the start.
    Would have thought that you should be able to park in the shopping centre car park?

But you would need somebody to pick up the number the day before and meet them.

• Advertisement

I need to drive back to Co Mayo after the run so Bus from Dublin is no good to me. I can stay with someone in Dublin on saturday night so I can pop up and collect the number and then go back to Dublin after I get it.
    Shopping center will likely where I will head to so . Thanks:)

3 stars (average)
    if ur stuck 2 get ur reg ,ill can org 4 u

Thanks ultraman but its not far up the road from the airport so I will hop up and get it , and check out parking etc and the lie of the land so that I am sorted for sunday.
    How will I know you ? What will you be wearing? I had a quick look on the entrants list and there are a lot from the south, Dublin in particular.
    Think I am number 55, so say hello if you see me.

3 stars (average)
    how will I know you ? .

chisseld good looks,a little beer belly and tattoo'd like a mexican on death row.........and #100

God I cant wait:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

3 stars (average)
    Well how did everybody get on?
    I managed to tell another runner that there was 10 min to do the last mile to finish in under 4 hours. And then managed to finish 12 secs over the 4 hours.
    Wind in the face for the second half was a killer and I hadn't remembered those few hills in the first half as being as bad.
    Still a good race and I will probably be back next year. The showers in the sports centre were a god send I must say.

Oh God I'd have loved a shower. Didnt know they were available.

Great to meet ultraman and running coach and lots of Toms. Never chatted so much on a run, or met so many interesting/awesome people. Enjoyed that.
    I struggled badly from about 19 miles on. Stopped to walk a few times and found it hard to force myself to keep running. I think if there were more distractions I would have managed it . Not a bit sore today and although I am very happy and I really enjoyed it, I am annoyed that I didnt run all the way as I needed to train the legs to run tired for the ultra.

Did anyone meet the double amputee who is trying to qualify for the olympic marathon? He needs to do a marathon in 2.30. He was pacing people in the half marathon for a 1.30 finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RightMid

2 stars (poor)
    As Marathon's go- thought it was quite average. The hills in the first half were tricky, got around in 1hr 37 mins- but as you go into the latter stages there wasn't enough people around to keep you motivated and so you were running on your own quite a lot and having walking stops. Beat my first marathon by 6 seconds last year in Dublin and went round in 3hrs 24- hospitality was good at the end but didnt see the advertised sports drinks I only recognised water and gels throughout. I must say though that it was a nice touch getting your name called as you went through.
    More people and less hills would improve the marathon and would encourage more people to turn up.:)

3 stars (average)
    third time doin this and i find it a very well run,safe and friendly marathon wit plenty of support in the towns and on the bridges as u come back,the second half is a bit lonly,but there are marshalls wit gels and water and johns ambulance guys on bikes all over the course,there was sports drinks at some of the stations,didnt know wat it was but knocked it back anyway and it did the trick,i think.theres talk of holdin it on sunday to get a few more southerners to come up,hopefully too many wont come as i like it as it is.the end was good and well organised wit plenty of seats and a nice massage and ur not rushed of ur seat.met hot2trot at the end,but i remember her zoomin by me at mile 6/7.......

haha. Me zooming past you at 6/7 was most likely me running downhill out of control.Still cant manage to run downhill properly.:D

It took ,me ages to reel you in Ultraman in the finishing miles. I promised myself i could stop for a walk when I caught up with you. If I had known it was you , I probably could have forced myself to keep running with you to the finish. surely would be better than going it alone. Felt like walking down the aisle by yourself!!:o

Are you going 100 or 50 in Portumna?

3 stars (average)
    haha. Me zooming past you at 6/7 was most likely me running downhill out of control.Still cant manage to run downhill properly.:D

It took ,me ages to reel you in Ultraman in the finishing miles. I promised myself i could stop for a walk when I caught up with you. If I had known it was you , I probably could have forced myself to keep running with you to the finish. surely would be better than going it alone. Felt like walking down the aisle by yourself!!:o

Are you going 100 or 50 in Portumna?
    doin 100,....thought i passed u at mile 24:confused:

YOu did . I tried to catch back up with you. But didnt manage it. If I had known it was you I would have pursued you to the bitter end :D

Advertisement