Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish bookie to ignore Henry goals at World Cup

• 28-03-2010 1:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/robkelly/100006494/world-cup-2010-is-this-irish-bookie-being-petty-over-thierry-henry-probably-but-its-hilarious/
    When Thierry Henry gave France a helping hand in their World Cup play-off second leg against the Republic of Ireland in Paris in November, the public outpouring of anger towards the Barcelona striker dominated the news agenda for weeks.
    The FAI, Ireland’s stricken players and even Irish politicians demanded Fifa and France accede to a replay in an effort to right such an obvious wrong. Realising that it would set a dangerous precedent, Fifa unsurprisingly refused to capitulate, while the French did what they do best: namely shrug enigmatically and dismiss Ireland’s anger with a dismissive wave of the hand.
    The anger, irritation and heartbreak over the Hand of Gaul/Hand of Henry incident has died down now in the most part. With the World Cup just over two months away, most observers are looking forward with relish towards the World Cup, while consigning the distasteful events in Paris to the dustbin of the past. Most, but not all.
    According to breaking news.ie, one betting firm, Bodog.com, is taking a (hilarious) stand against Henry in South Africa this summer. The company’s European managing director, Keith McDonnell, is Irish and has insisted that he will not enjoy the tournament with Henry playing a part.
    Therefore, this summer any Bodog.com customer can place a bet and be assured that any goal that Henry scores will not count against them. So if a customer backs France to draw 0-0 with Uruguay on June 11, but Henry scores the only goal in a 1-0 win for Les Bleus, Bodog.com will pay out on a 0-0 draw. However, if a customer bets on France to win then Henry’s goals will still count.
    “I want to enjoy the World Cup, and the only way I can do that is if Thierry Henry is no longer part of it,” McDonnell said. “He has already ruined my World Cup, and I want to make sure he can do no more damage.”
    Utterly petty, but absolutely fantastic at the same time. My favourite story about the World Cup so far, by a long way

Pritty funny..And the fact if you bet on them to draw and he scores is pritty good :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Love it!! I know it's completey petty, but so what!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

so pathetic.

yet I have a strange admiration for the man at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I love you Thierry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

My girlfriend told me about this and i thought she was jokin. I mean, so petty and not gonna make any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

A marketing ploy even Paddy Power would be impressed with. Bodog isn't Irish btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

A marketing ploy even Paddy Power would be impressed with. Bodog isn't Irish btw.

Yup. I'd never even heard of Bodog before tonight. Quite brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

its not petty, its advertising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

sad sad sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

as has been said, Bodog isnt irish, and it seems to be a marketing idea tbh

The European MD is Irish according to the article or maybe I have misread it.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    The European MD is Irish according to the article or maybe I have misread it.

so the article says yeah, but the point being that bodog is american and it just smacks of marketting to generate business fromt he WC, bet paddypower is going mad though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

kryogen wrote: »
    so the article says yeah, but the point being that bodog is american and it just smacks of marketting to generate business fromt he WC, bet paddypower is going mad though

Doubt it fairly sure PP will have some offer that will trumph this and actually give value to us idiots who bet on football matches.

****ing Kevin Phillips cost me €2500 today but im not bitter :D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Doubt it fairly sure PP will have some offer that will trumph this and actually give value to us idiots who bet on football matches.

genuinely, i feel for you, tough break, but today has cemented Philips (and Almunias) legendry stauts to me!

Jesus what was the bet?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Quite a good money making ploy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

ye sorry its the owner who is irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jesus what was the bet?:eek:

9 team accumulator, tbh makes my saturday interesting altho killed any interest in the united game when Philips scored in the 90th minute to ruin my bet :D

not bitter "far-hee" had a good game :)

9 team accumulator, tbh makes my saturday interesting altho killed any interest in the united game when Philips scored in the 90th minute to ruin my bet :D

not bitter "far-hee" had a good game :)

Sickener all the same, 9 team accums don't come in or even close all that often. Pity:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ush1 wrote: »
    My girlfriend told me about this and i thought she was jokin. I mean, so petty and not gonna make any difference.

ADVERTISING
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    sad sad sad

naive naive naive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Kevin Phillips doesn't usually score until after the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Soby wrote: »
    Pritty funny..And the fact if you bet on them to draw and he scores is pritty good :P

Jesus wept. It's "pretty" as in "The pretty bar maid seduced me with her pretty 36DD tit.s before enchanting the bejayzus out of me in their pretty beer garden".

On topic: I hate France.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Petty as you can get, and I love it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

noodler wrote: »
    ADVERTISING

naive naive naive
    I know exactly wat it is, still doesn't make it any less sad.

I know exactly wat it is, still doesn't make it any less sad.

If you know its merely an advertising ploy and publicity stunt then how is it sad?:confused:

when i say sad, i mean pathetic, as opposed to sad, boo hoo sad. i thinks its that cause its designed to play upon the ridiculous state of self pity this country went into after that game, and that a lot of people still have.

when i say sad, i mean pathetic, as opposed to sad, boo hoo sad. i thinks its that cause its designed to play upon the ridiculous state of self pity this country went into after that game, and that a lot of people still have.

I knew you meant that meaning of sad.

I just disagree, its just to get people talking and get the name of the company out there. Which this thread proves it has done, even the people calling it sad are at least talking about it. No such thing as bad publicity etc etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Theres a thread on it. Advertising wins.

see the fact that its successful in wat its trying to do, doesn't make it not pathetic.

see the fact that its successful in wat its trying to do, doesn't make it not pathetic.
    Yup, totally agree. If you need a example of pathetic look at Liverpool FC.

• Advertisement

CHD wrote: »
    Theres a thread on it. Advertising wins.

Hard to quantify though, how many new accounts will they have as a result of this thread?

Hard to quantify though, how many new accounts will they have as a result of this thread?
    17 prob. I quantified it just there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Doubt that many, i certainly wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Reckon Henry will score a winner in a game but the goal going down as an OG due to a slight deflection!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

All this Thierry Henry stuff is long past its sell by date.

Advertisement