Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current account closure

Options
  • 28-03-2010 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Can a bank close a current account even if there is money in it?

Over the last couple of months I put my AIB current account back into a positive balance after it was overdrawn. During this time my atm card was suspended but I could still access my account and transfer money on line. I spoke to AIB and they said it would take time to get my card re activated as they had to go through internal procedures so i thought nothing more of it.

However, in the last week or so after logging in to 24Hr on line banking it tells me that my account was closed even though it had some money in it (minimal) and more money was being paid in. I received no notice of the closure and now can't access the cash in my account. Can they do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Yes they can. They usually send you a lot of notice before closing the account. You would have to have gone beyond the arranged overdraft and stayed in the red for them to take notice.

What you need to do is contact them and see why they have closed it. There should be notes on the account that says why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Thanks, I have been in contact with them over the last month or so and thats why I was surprised it was closed when it was indicated that they would reactivate my card. I phoned my local branch on Wednesday and they couldn't tell me anything. They are sending me out a recent bank statement. There definietly was money in there and a direct debit was due to be paid into the account on Wednesday. Now I can't access that money. There has been no communication from them whatsoever.

Advertisement