Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann: Lagann-hen

Options
  • 28-03-2010 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭

Did you watch Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann?

If [YES] -- go watch this, it will blow your mind with fanservice to the power of infinity.

If [NO] -- what the hell is wrong with you?
    Watch it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

It's certainly great if you're a fan of TTGL anyway.
    Superb additions to the ending, I quite enjoyed it. Heard nothing about either movie being licensed though, which slight saddens me, I wonder if the Western licensors thought Gurren Lagann would perform better.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I felt Gurren-Han ruined the first half of Gurren Lagann, I feel this ruins the second half.

There. I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Aren't these basically feature length clip shows? To hell with that

I felt Gurren-Han ruined the first half of Gurren Lagann, I feel this ruins the second half.
    There. I said it.
    I'll agree on Gurren-han bungling a fair bit of the first half, but why do you say it ruins the second half?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

50-50.
    Half the movie(s) is compressing 10-odd episodes into 75mins.
    The rest are brand new fight sequences.
    And Lagann-hen just KINDA ups the GAR of the final battle.
    KIIIINDAAAAAAAA :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Found it pointless and dull.

I'll agree on Gurren-han bungling a fair bit of the first half, but why do you say it ruins the second half?

No no, you have it all wrong. I like the first half of Gurren-han. It summerises the first arc of the show beautifully. Seeing how episodes 4,5 and 6 are the weakest of the entire series, this is a good thing.

It was the second half that annoyed me. That big bombastic over the top fight, combining the second half of the series into one outrageous battle that I didn't like.

"Oh hey, here's a good idea, lets take out all the build-up, suspense and the gradual growth of Simon and replace it all with more explosions and a pink DayakKaiser!"

No no, you have it all wrong. I like the first half of Gurren-han. It summerises the first arc of the show beautifully. Seeing how episodes 4,5 and 6 are the weakest of the entire series, this is a good thing.

Woops, I was unclear, my apologies. I meant I agree about Gurren-hen, but why do you say Lagann-hen ruins the second half (of the entire series)?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,504 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

maybe ill find it when im pecking for a re-watch but im not hugely driven to go find this thing and watch it. I was quite happy where I left the original, and would rather not upset that content feeling i already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I was pissed that they cut out the simon-tearing-thorugh-space-and-time-to-punch-Rossiu-in-the-face-scene.
    Changing '1 million monkeys' to 'lol dont go to the moon' was crap as well. And what do they do? They go the moon. Derp

• Advertisement

Woops, I was unclear, my apologies. I meant I agree about Gurren-hen, but why do you say Lagann-hen ruins the second half (of the entire series)?

I was unclear again.

I feel that Gurren-hen ruined episodes 9-14.

That I understand (and completely agree on).
    But it's your opinion of Lagann-hen that I was hoping you'd explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rochardgems

@K.O.Kiki love that show simply incomparable to any anime out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I was pissed that they cut out the simon-tearing-thorugh-space-and-time-to-punch-Rossiu-in-the-face-scene.
    Changing '1 million monkeys' to 'lol dont go to the moon' was crap as well. And what do they do? They go the moon. Derp

They took that out? NO. They cant!

I'll go check it out now I guess. =[

That I understand (and completely agree on).
    But it's your opinion of Lagann-hen that I was hoping you'd explain.

I just thought it was all too much. All way too over the top. This might sound a little silly, but I thought the original took it just far enough. The fist fight with the anti-spiral? It was too much for me.

The original had plenty of massive, ridiculous over the top fight scenes, but it knew where to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

The original had plenty of massive, ridiculous over the top fight scenes, but it knew where to stop.

I have to agree with this sentiment, Gurren and Lagann-Hen both just pushed a little too far with being over the top and ended up being a bit ridiculous. I'm a huge fan of a regular series but these went a little too far for me although I did like the fact most of the Dai Gurren pilots survived in Lagann-Hen, all of them dying/being kill off in TTGL never sat well with me.

I just thought it was all too much. All way too over the top. This might sound a little silly, but I thought the original took it just far enough. The fist fight with the anti-spiral? It was too much for me.

Huh. I can see what you're saying, and the original is certainly superior, personal canon if you will.
    But I liked the physical fight, felt physical and had alot of weight in it.
    I like to think of Lagann-hen as a kind of fun fanfiction-esc scenario.
    What if all those idiots didn't die in episode 24? What if Nia got her own Gunman?
    It's neat in a fan-service way, but not in a "This is the only way I'll experience the series".
    If it comes out on DVD (preferably Blu-Ray) I'd pick it up, just like I did the series.

Advertisement