Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

websites

Options
  • 28-03-2010 4:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

last year i had a website designed i cannot use it i have to keep going back to him and asking him to change the front picture on my website i am not very good with computers but surely i should be able to do this myself it seems to be a text website.

Anyway i have since suspended the website and am looking for someone to do it for me i do not want to pay anywhere near the 2,500 i paid for this one

Can someone help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

You should post your requirements in the work offered/wanted thread at the top of this forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055802922

I'm sure whoever you get, can set you up with a Content Management System (cms) which will allow you to edit basic text and images etc.. yourself without having to go back everytime.
    Maybe throw up a link of the site as it stands too

Hope this helps

last year i had a website designed i cannot use it i have to keep going back to him and asking him to change the front picture on my website i am not very good with computers but surely i should be able to do this myself it seems to be a text website.

Anyway i have since suspended the website and am looking for someone to do it for me i do not want to pay anywhere near the 2,500 i paid for this one

Can someone help

A normal brochure website would not be editable by the website owner. For that, you need a content management system (CMS) with a secure login that allows you to edit your content. It sounds like you got a static website. When you commissioned the site, was the designer aware of your wish to edit the site yourself?

The thing with a CMS is that it can negatively impact on the appearance of the site, if the person editing the site hasn't got the best sense of design, leading to green text on pink background in MS Comic font. Also, you won't have the full arsenal of design techniques available to you within the WYSIWYG editor.

I'm very much in favour of content management systems, but just be aware that they are a double edged sword.

If you are happy with the current look of your site, and it is well coded, it should be easy to get it converted to a template to plug into your new content management system. That should save you a bit of money. Unless your site has a lot of special features, the final cost should come in well below the €2500 you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you are happy with the current look of your site, and it is well coded, it should be easy to get it converted to a template to plug into your new content management system. That should save you a bit of money. Unless your site has a lot of special features, the final cost should come in well below the €2500 you mentioned.
    What he said. Get someone to integrate a CMS into your site. It's not a one day job, but it's not crazy either. I would consider asking the original developer/designer to do it as it's always easier for the original creator to do it.

The problem with you updating it yourself is really down to a mis-understanding between you and the original web designer. It's a shame this topic wasn't covered, as it's usually one of the first things to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

I just have to laugh at the :mad: smiley in the thread title. Made me :) for some reason.

To echo what everyone else is saying, if your a happy with the current layout then you can code into a cms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

How often are you likely to want to change it ?

A CMS is overkill if this is a relatively once off (but definitely the right approach if it's not).

PM me if you want me to have a look (I assume it's OK to say this here).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I don't think there's going to be any answers forthcoming as the OP is now banned.

Advertisement