Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nine Million for Waterford's Viking Triangle

• 28-03-2010 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

The development of Waterford's Viking Triangle is begining to shape up.
    The government yesterday announced a 9 million capital investment in tourism facilities
    for the project.

The announcement came as the city hosts a major viking conference

The viking triangle will compliment the new Waterford Crystal centre and Chairman of Failte Ireland Redmond O'Donaghue says attracting visitors to the city centre will have a greater overall benefit for Waterford than the old Kilbarry site.
    Also here is A Virtual tour around the "Viking Triangle" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYTCysm-TPE PART 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsj3_Y1JGeQ PART 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,685 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is great news for Waterford. The video is dismal quality, but it gives an idea of what is to be done. There is so much history in that area that it should make a fascinating tourist attraction, and also revive the area, much of which is looking a bit run down. I hope they don't disneyfy it too much, but other projects - the granary for example - have been well done so I have high hopes for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Its an amazing vision, based on getting the "Gateway Innovation" funding of €300 million. The €9 million would be gone just in buying what looks like the Bowery, Jade, Munster Bar etc........anyone know anything about the bigger picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

From the video

are they basically just trying to cover the whole viking quarter with glass?? I'm not too impressed, but maybe if I saw a model I would get a better idea.

What I'd like to see done is that we make the most of place like high street and where Wrights bike shop was. Brighten it up with some paint and flower baskets, zone for some cafés in Cathedral square and shops in those streets.

Advertisement