Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Tay, Wicklow Camp

Options
  • 28-03-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Setting up a weekend camp with a group of friends. Does anyone know what the area around Lough Tay is like? Would there be any issues using the land?
    We're experienced and always clean up after ourselves so no need to worry.

Here is where we're looking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Hi there. I would love to camp there too if i could but there is not a chance you will be allowed. It is all private land and patrolled by a ranger.

Now you could set up a small camp in the forest at the foot of djouce which overlooks Lough Tay. Failing that - i would try Glenmalure - its fairly ideal for camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MbS

Thanks for the info BR.
    Do you mean that the area west of R759 is private but if we head to the woods on the east side we can set up there?
    I know that Coillte forests are protected but we've stayed in some of them before and never had any issues with locals, walkers or authorities.

Re: Glenamure,
    Is it an established campsite? We're looking more for a place out of the way and without too much weekend walker traffic.

I've also heard some good things about Glencree.
    There seems to be a few nice sites of interest around. Any advice about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Well im not sure about the viewing areas immediatly west (100 meters) of the R759- i suppose you could put a few tents there but it is very exposed. There are small areas to the east of the R759 - i have seen some small camp fires there before- so it depends on how many tents you are planning on having.

Glenmalure is not a private campsite. It is certainly out of the way, however there might be a steady stream of walkers the next morning (this is a starting point for climbing Lugnaquillia). If the weather is anyway good- this tends to be a popular spot for camping so arriving early is a good idea to secure the best spots (there is alot of room there though). If you are driving there- when you get to the car park- drive across the small river concrete bridge and continue along the dirt road. There are lots of spots on both sides of the road.

Cant advise on Glencree as i havent camped there before.

Advertisement